PDA

View Full Version : Found the Problem...blown (melted) fuse

tliss
03-02-2009, 05:31 PM
I finally got under the hood of the truck today to try to figure out why it was overheating on me. Terry gets the prize...the e-fan was not pulling air due to a melted fuse. The inline fuse blew and basically melted. I pulled it out and one of the connectors stayed behind, so I am going to have to replace the fuse and the power cord. I think I have a spare wiring harness, but I'll have to locate it. If not, any suggestions on the best replacement gauge and fuse size? Considering what happened to this 30amp fuse, I'd like to get something with a little more safety.

Check out the pics of the remnants of the fuse.

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/medium/100_5508.JPG
http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/medium/100_5509.JPG

The melted connector is the one inbound from the fuse box.

T

dboat
03-03-2009, 09:15 AM
Tom, I am no master mechanic, nor a mechanic, but it looks to me like your current setup did what it was supposed to do. It hasnt been an issue where it does this over and over all the time, so I would go back with what was there before..

Dana

toddwarren
03-03-2009, 09:36 AM
No surprise Terry made the right call! Good luck with the repair.

L8 APEX
03-03-2009, 06:32 PM
The fan motor may have died or you have a direct short to cause that catastrophic failure. Is it the battery side or the fan side of the fuse? Should be battery side.

tliss
03-03-2009, 09:11 PM
The fan motor may have died or you have a direct short to cause that catastrophic failure. Is it the battery side or the fan side of the fuse? Should be battery side.

Battery side of the fuse melted. Hopefully the damn fan motor didn't die...paid way to much for that damn fan for it to crap out on me like that!

I found my backup wire harness...just have to get it in. Not sure if I'm going to replace the whole harness or just pull out the destroyed fuse holder and pop in the new one...guess it depends on how I feel..., and if I can find the wiring instructions...

T

Beaudee
03-04-2009, 08:56 AM
On the E-Fan topic,i have one and have a question.When i start the engine cold and immediately turn on defroster,floor heat,the fan immediately starts cycling on and off before the engine ever reaches operating temp. and continues to do so when it does reach temp.It cycles so many times on and off it looks like im flashing lights @ people going down the road when it kicks on.Is this normal.Wrks fine with temp cont. off and continues to run with a/c on which i think is normal..

Chris94L
03-04-2009, 04:48 PM
On the E-Fan topic,i have one and have a question.When i start the engine cold and immediately turn on defroster,floor heat,the fan immediately starts cycling on and off before the engine ever reaches operating temp. and continues to do so when it does reach temp.It cycles so many times on and off it looks like im flashing lights @ people going down the road when it kicks on.Is this normal.Wrks fine with temp cont. off and continues to run with a/c on which i think is normal..
If it is tapped into the a/c which you say it is, that is normal because the compressor cycles in defrost mode.

L8 APEX
03-04-2009, 05:14 PM
The only vent position that does not run the A/C is floor position. All others use AC to some extent to de humidify. If it blew on the battery side the short was between the fuse and the battery. You need to check that wire.

tliss
03-04-2009, 09:47 PM
Cut the old burned out fuse holder and installed a new one...the fan works fine now. :D Now just a little maintenance necessary and I'll start taking it out for fun again!! It's been about 800 miles since my last oil change, but that was almost 2 years ago :eek:. Also need to flush the coolant and install a new thermostat, since I probably cooked it when the truck was overheating...

T

my2002lightning
03-04-2009, 09:54 PM
Good to hear, Tom.