PDA

View Full Version : Truck is SICK

joshc_guitar
03-08-2009, 10:10 PM
Not the good kind of sick. Like it's not running right.

96mystic and I worked on it today to no avail. She's real sick. Having tons of trouble getting to 40mph. It's definitely missing. JT(96mystic) and i narrowed it down to the #1 cylinder by means of disconnecting the coilpack and listening for change. We pulled the coilpack and plug ut both looked fine, except the plug was red. Any ideas. It feels like it's bogging down real bad.

In2deep
03-08-2009, 10:42 PM
Maybe a bad coil pack swap 1 and 2 around these trucks are notorious for bad coil packs

my2002lightning
03-09-2009, 05:09 AM
There is that - been there 3x. Try a new spark-plug, too.

Maybe a bad coil pack swap 1 and 2 around these trucks are notorious for bad coil packs

joshc_guitar
03-09-2009, 08:42 AM
Ok thanks I'll try that. Whats the deal with the spark plug being red?

TXLIGHTNING
03-09-2009, 09:57 AM
Ok thanks I'll try that. Whats the deal with the spark plug being red? Have you used any octane booster lately?

L8 APEX
03-09-2009, 10:28 AM
check fuel pressure. A truck will still burn the tires and break 100 mph on 7 cylinders.

joshc_guitar
03-09-2009, 04:07 PM
So i have 2 clogged cats and one bad coil. What do y'all think of making my cats "disapear"? I found someone that'll do it. I judt don't know how the truck is gonna run with out them.

96mystic
03-09-2009, 04:54 PM
CLIFF NOTES: Replaced the #1 cop and helpped with the misfire, mechanic says it also has bad/clogged cats and the truck won't start, anyone ever heard of this???

I have a little input on this whole issue...I have had an issue with my cats being clogged before on my old 3000gt VR-4, but it wouldn't hesitate, just overheat. (Can anyone shine some light on this issue) I have never heard of this causing any type of vehicle to not run over 40 or making the vehicle not able to start.

Josh and I checked the COPS and I was able to conclude that the #1 cylinder COP was bad. Sure enough the "mechanic" replaced it and stopped most of the hesitation/misfire. But now claims that the cats are so clogged that it won't start.

charlie
03-09-2009, 06:55 PM
A friends vet did that once. He changed the cats and no more issues. Till they clogged up again, from burning oil.

One reason a cat will clog up is because the engine is burning oil.

In2deep
03-09-2009, 07:26 PM
I took out the back two cats sounds mean and runs like a champ!!!

joshc_guitar
03-09-2009, 08:15 PM
CLIFF NOTES: Replaced the #1 cop and helpped with the misfire, mechanic says it also has bad/clogged cats and the truck won't start, anyone ever heard of this???

I have a little input on this whole issue...I have had an issue with my cats being clogged before on my old 3000gt VR-4, but it wouldn't hesitate, just overheat. (Can anyone shine some light on this issue) I have never heard of this causing any type of vehicle to not run over 40 or making the vehicle not able to start.

Josh and I checked the COPS and I was able to conclude that the #1 cylinder COP was bad. Sure enough the "mechanic" replaced it and stopped most of the hesitation/misfire. But now claims that the cats are so clogged that it won't start.

Thanks JT, you know how I am with details!

joshc_guitar
03-09-2009, 08:18 PM
I took out the back two cats sounds mean and runs like a champ!!!

This is what I'm hoping for! Plus they quoted 700 for new cats. It's 150 to forget them.

L8 APEX
03-09-2009, 10:37 PM
Decent cats are 100 a piece.

BC Lightning
03-10-2009, 09:31 AM
just cut them off and have some pipe welded back in their place, make sure before you do you can find a place to pass it for emmissions, and/or have them turn off the rear O2 sensors so the check engine light wont come on

joshc_guitar
03-10-2009, 04:40 PM
Well they're gone, and the truck sounds mean as hell. But it's almost a little much. lol and it's back to running right again.

96mystic
03-10-2009, 04:50 PM
Well they're gone, and the truck sounds mean as hell. But it's almost a little much. lol and it's back to running right again.
Well beggers can't be choosers LOL!!!! GET BACK TO WORK FOR 5 MINS!!! ;) Glad that bitch is running again. I still can't believe the shop told me 60 bux to change my plugs...I hope he knows what he's getting into!

joshc_guitar
03-10-2009, 04:53 PM
Stop peering over my shoulder ho! Yeah i'd almost bet that he'll charge you more once he gets into it. Or he's gonna make that kid do it and he doesn't give a shit how hard it is!

Mark #2
03-10-2009, 04:58 PM
just cut them off and have some pipe welded back in their place, make sure before you do you can find a place to pass it for emmissions, and/or have them turn off the rear O2 sensors so the check engine light wont come on
I would not cut them off, just ram a pipe through them to hollow them out. That way you pass the visual inspection for cats.

joshc_guitar
03-11-2009, 08:44 AM
Well it's a little late, but luckily that's almost exactly what i did. I cut out 2 and hollowed out 2.