PDA

View Full Version : Almost Stolen!!

In2deep
03-09-2009, 01:05 AM
Well someone tried to still the L tonight, busted my handle up pretty good :flaming:, guess i will have to move the alarm install up to tomorrow, 750 dollars out of pocket for what i want :hammer:... Atleast i still have my truck!!! knana

hillman
03-09-2009, 01:12 AM
wow thank god they didnt get any further. what kind of alarm are you getting? ive been looking in to them.

slick-svt
03-09-2009, 05:34 AM
Best alarm you can get is a rottweiler and a gun, and have Terry install a mine field........:icon_eek:

TXLIGHTNING
03-09-2009, 09:55 AM
Best alarm you can get is a rottweiler and a gun, and have Terry install a mine field........:icon_eek: +1 BTW, what does Terry charge for that :D:rll:Glad to hear they didn't get away with your truck man, now get that alarm on there :beer:

99WhiteBeast
03-09-2009, 04:56 PM
damn that sucks - was it at work or the apartment?

Someone was going to make some backing plates that bolt to the inside of the door panel to prevent this. Not sure what ever happened to that.

L8 APEX
03-09-2009, 05:02 PM
They are commonly available but not bullet proof. jimmijammers.com

Silver_2000
03-09-2009, 05:17 PM
having a little expereince in this area

DONT leave ANYTHING That is pawnable in the truck
DONT park the truck outside
DONT park the truck in bad areas
DONT put afternarket stereo in the truck - see #1

In2deep
03-09-2009, 07:24 PM
Not to much to steal inside the truck, it happened at work, I dropped it off today for some paint work and am doing a few touch ups on the truck, around two grand there, i have a friend who does alarms ,going with compustart on it ,remote start, starter kill sensors out the wazoo.. Im pretty sure they where going to take my truck the way it looked.. My stereo faceplate was off and is in my desk..

BC Lightning
03-10-2009, 09:42 AM
Not to much to steal inside the truck, it happened at work, I dropped it off today for some paint work and am doing a few touch ups on the truck, around two grand there, i have a friend who does alarms ,going with compustart on it ,remote start, starter kill sensors out the wazoo.. Im pretty sure they where going to take my truck the way it looked.. My stereo faceplate was off and is in my desk..

I personally shy away from aftermarket alarms. the stock security system (PATS) will keep them from stealing the truck

I had my 2004 L broken into and they tried to steal it at the Galleria. Got away with my flip screen, and my old blue SCT programmer (but it was locked to my VIN) and they busted the driver door handle to get in, I had more problems with the aftermarket alarm (clifford Matrix), and the shop couldn't get the PATS immoblizer to work, so they used a cheap version for the remote start and used the chip out of the key to get the remote start to work, problem with that is anyone who broke into my truck could jam a screw driver into the ignition and start it

steinjr
03-10-2009, 08:19 PM
Wow... close call.

my2002lightning
03-10-2009, 08:57 PM
That's not good. :hammer::mad: I had a higher-end Clifford (Car-Toys installed new) on my new F-150 Lariat before the L. This truck was the replacement for the one that was previously stolen from the same apt. complex in Tulsa.

It was setup fairly sensitive for motion, etc., etc. I came out several days later in the morning. I noticed slim-jim scuff marks where the side-windows meets the door, hand-prints all around the window / door-handle / rear-slider with foot-prints in the bed that weren't mine.:flaming: A neighbor caught, evidently the same crew, a bunch of them underneath his Chevy 4x4 cutting his alarm-wires, but he couldn't catch them all on foot.

Odd thing is though, I never had an issue with the L in the Galleria section of Houston. This is where the local Shell station had HOU PD officers stationed both sides of the cashier and the HEB had security patroling the lot - all toting Glocks.

ZeusSVT
03-11-2009, 12:55 PM
I have an aftermarket alarm on mine (was on there when I bought it).

Michael made a good point. The pats does about what an aftermarket is really going to do but with an anooying noise. It will allow them to not drive it away if they steal it. But aftermarket or PATS either one, if they want the vehicle bad enough it's gonna be gone. The only peace of mind I get with the aftermarket is knowing that if they try to steal it or something in it, they are probably going to get it, but they aren't gonna go about it quietly.

I F#$%ing HATE THIEFS....:nono:

Shiner1
03-11-2009, 02:50 PM
Hey Doug!! PATS didn't stop them from taking yours did it??

Silver_2000
03-11-2009, 03:12 PM
Hey Doug!! PATS didn't stop them from taking yours did it??
I was wondering when that question would come up ..

The short answer is that pats might have stopped them ....:burnout:

PS - I just heard from the DA - they are offering him probation on the condition that he pays restitution. It was 18 or more months ago and they are just now getting the court stuff done ...

When he pays me restitution Ill buy another AR - That will NEVER happen

ThunderBolt
03-11-2009, 03:54 PM
What exactly is (PATS)? I was thinking about installing a kill switch or a switch that will disable the fuel pumps.

Silver_2000
03-11-2009, 04:02 PM
What exactly is (PATS)? I was thinking about installing a kill switch or a switch that will disable the fuel pumps.
security chip built into the key works iwth the pats system to foil thieves

not sure what it stands for

TXLIGHTNING
03-11-2009, 04:04 PM
PATS, Passive Anti Theft System.

ZeusSVT
03-11-2009, 04:21 PM
PATS, Passive Anti Theft System.

Yep that's it. And Yes in Doug's circumstances it didn't matter whether there was a PATS or not. KeytoTruck+Ignition=GO...:burnout:

If you don't have a key to the truck, they are going to pretty much have to tow it away to steal it. If they want it bad enough, you can't prevent that from happening, no matter how you park your vehicle. :tex Backing in will help deter them, but it's not gonna stop a determined thief.

Silver_2000
03-11-2009, 04:26 PM
Yep that's it. And Yes in Doug's circumstances it didn't matter whether there was a PATS or not. KeytoTruck+Ignition=GO...:burnout:

If you don't have a key to the truck, they are going to pretty much have to tow it away to steal it. If they want it bad enough, you can't prevent that from happening, no matter how you park your vehicle. :tex Backing in will help deter them, but it's not gonna stop a determined thief.

:hammer::hammer:I was trying to be coy .....:hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer:

L8 APEX
03-11-2009, 04:37 PM
A security system like many other items in life is only as good as the hardware and most importantly the person installing it. I have 4 years and 100K miles on my F250 now. I had a good friend install my Clifford Matrix the week I brought it home. It has never missed a step, never falsed and no problems with the remote start. The two times it has gone off drunks crashed into it. So I am tickled pink with my Clifford alarm. I wanted it because my truck does not have PATS and I wanted remote start with two way paging. It is hard to leave a truck stock just for thieving sake... I try to keep my stereo face and items out of sight. I did have a customer that got his radio stolen WITHOUT the face. I am not sure what it was worth at that point. The time I called Kenwood they wanted the serial number and $400 bucks for a new face plate. Most auto break ins are just for personal items. They have to snatch it with a wrecker to get the whole truck. Which is what they did to Sonic Tommy.

ZeusSVT
03-11-2009, 04:46 PM
:hammer::hammer:I was trying to be coy .....:hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer:

:throw:I figured as much..:rll:

I was just making an example about the PATS. :tex

Beaudee
03-11-2009, 09:00 PM
This is cool.Someone posted it here before.I like it cause you dont have to do nothin.Very reasonable http://www.mastersentryseries.com/starter/index.shtml

L8 APEX
03-11-2009, 09:22 PM
As long as they don't carry relays or a paper clip with them...

In2deep
03-11-2009, 09:26 PM
Cool, that masterlock deal is cool!!

ThunderBolt
03-12-2009, 03:14 AM
This is cool.Someone posted it here before.I like it cause you dont have to do nothin.Very reasonable http://www.mastersentryseries.com/starter/index.shtml

Thanks.

Shiner1
03-12-2009, 08:15 AM
I was wondering when that question would come up ..

The short answer is that pats might have stopped them ....:burnout:

PS - I just heard from the DA - they are offering him probation on the condition that he pays restitution. It was 18 or more months ago and they are just now getting the court stuff done ...

When he pays me restitution Ill buy another AR - That will NEVER happen

I really wasn't tring to be smart ass. I guess I had forgotten or didn't know the circumstances. Did they have a key to your truck?

Silver_2000
03-12-2009, 08:25 AM
I really wasn't tring to be smart ass. I guess I had forgotten or didn't know the circumstances. Did they have a key to your truck?

There may have been a spare set of keys in the backpack in the truck

Beaudee
03-13-2009, 02:04 PM
As long as they don't carry relays or a paper clip with them...

Papper clips:icon_eek:Better leave that post unsaid:nono:I think most thieves are just interested in loose valuables.If someone wants your truck bad enough they are gona get it.Most thievs carry primitive tools like screwdrivers.There are a few MaGivers huhh Terry.

In2deep
03-13-2009, 02:17 PM
A paperclip, only terry would know!!

Beaudee
03-13-2009, 02:30 PM
A paperclip, only terry would know!!

That is a primitive tool and probally the perfect size.:icon_lol:

L8 APEX
03-13-2009, 05:13 PM
They don't even need that on a Ford. On any Ford without PATS you just break the ignition over, pop the hood and jump the starter solenoid terminals with a screw driver or pocket knife. When 99Bolt's solenoid crapped out in Louisiana he called me. I said turn the key on, pull the plastic cover back from the solenoid and jump the two large terminals. It fired right up.