PDA

View Full Version : safe mods

byrd35us
03-14-2009, 07:49 PM
Ok after a year of owning this harley f150, i am looking to do a few mods. I was wondering if anyone had any half way safe mods. if there is such a thing. I broke the L pretty good a couple years ago when I had one. Dont want to go down that road again. but if anyone has any advice it would be appreciated. Guess i can always just stick to racing the 5.0.

mikelemoine
03-14-2009, 08:52 PM
The FTVB has to be my favorite mod to my 03 HD. It gives a good seat of the pants feeling, is fairly cheap and can extend transmission life. I also have a 4lb pulley (lower) and a good tune to add a little extra pep without too much risk of blowing the motor. Its good to either stay conservative with the mods or do it right and put a built motor in it to handle the power and weight of these trucks reliably. Check out the searches and stickys, there are tons of how tos and suggestions to help you out. :tu:

dboat
03-15-2009, 05:57 AM
Ok after a year of owning this harley f150, i am looking to do a few mods. I was wondering if anyone had any half way safe mods. if there is such a thing. I broke the L pretty good a couple years ago when I had one. Dont want to go down that road again. but if anyone has any advice it would be appreciated. Guess i can always just stick to racing the 5.0.

Chris, are you speaking of only power mods? or other mods as well? such as, a panhard bar, traction bars,etc.. I would strongly consider a panhard bar with a truck as long as a Harley. The difference in handling is amazing.. that was my experience at least..

Dana

tiffo60
03-15-2009, 08:06 AM
I think the valve body, and suspensions mods are great safe mods that completely change the feel of the truck. As far as power adders go, you can blow up a stock truck so its all about how you treat it. You can be safe with a 4lb pulley and a tune as long as you treat it right. :tu:

Silver_2000
03-15-2009, 09:51 AM
and a 4lb pulley on a harley is the same as a 2# pulley on a lightning since the harleys have lower boost to start with

byrd35us
03-16-2009, 06:25 PM
but if you change the pulley, dont you also have to change the spark plugs and get a programmer or a chip?

byrd35us
03-16-2009, 06:27 PM
also im here working in the tyler area for another 2 months, when is your guys next get together so i can finally meet some of the people i have been talkin with for the last 5 years?

ZeusSVT
03-16-2009, 06:42 PM
also im here working in the tyler area for another 2 months, when is your guys next get together so i can finally meet some of the people i have been talkin with for the last 5 years?

We usually have the monthly GTG the first thursday of every month. Here lately we have been rotating back and forth between bonedaddy's in Grapevine and Richardson. I think the coming up month is gonna be in Richardson, if I remember reading it correcltly in the previous months thread. :tu: