PDA

View Full Version : Help! my truck is studdering or missing whatever you wanna call it

01 bolt
03-17-2009, 04:29 PM
ok...... i have a problem. my truck is studdering or missing whatever you wanna call it. when i give it gas it studders or misses like a shaking vibration. doesnt want to get up and go. it first started when i washed off my engine. it set off the engine light so i let the truck sit over night and unhooked the batt. cable for a while and the next day the truck was good. now its been bout two months later and the truck is studdering again. no engine light this time. im thinking i fouled a plug or plug wires when i washed it. im getting the plugs and plug wires changed satruday. please tell me this could cause studdering or missing.

bluebullet80
03-17-2009, 04:32 PM
if you shorted out something it could definitely cause a miss fire. you should make sure it's not the coil pack.

01 bolt
03-17-2009, 04:49 PM
if you shorted out something it could definitely cause a miss fire. you should make sure it's not the coil pack.

forgive me for the dumb questions im a total newb when it comes to these trucks. whats the coil pack?

joshc_guitar
03-17-2009, 04:59 PM
The coil pack is the device that sits on top of a sparkplug. Its appears to be a little round object from the top of the head. Most likely it will say motorcraft on the top of it. they aren't hard to pull off. They have one screw on them, once you remove that they come off. But the best way to text for coil packs is to test the OBDII port for codes.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3292/3021493772_68eb48b41a.jpg

L8 APEX
03-17-2009, 05:15 PM
You got the coils wet, pull them all out and blow dry the engine and coils.

joshc_guitar
03-17-2009, 05:46 PM
+1

tiffo60
03-17-2009, 09:23 PM
got mine wet and it took over a week for them to dry completely out:d

hillman
03-17-2009, 09:49 PM
welcome to the misfiring party. :beer: did you wash it again which caused it to start misfiring again? if not, i would say start with the fuel filter. filter is like 13 bucks, tool is like 6 bucks, and it takes like 10 minutes. including if you dont have a jack around to get under the truck.:hammer:

01 bolt
03-18-2009, 06:39 PM
welcome to the misfiring party. :beer: did you wash it again which caused it to start misfiring again? if not, i would say start with the fuel filter. filter is like 13 bucks, tool is like 6 bucks, and it takes like 10 minutes. including if you dont have a jack around to get under the truck.:hammer:

no i didnt wash the engine again. thats why im confused on why its missing again. im scheduled for a plug change saturday. i will tell the ford house that my truck is missing and to check each of my coil packs and see if they are wet. if so ill tell them to dry them off good. if truck is still missing after the plug change should i order new coil packs? also should i go ahead and gap my ngk tr6's at .34 myself or just tell them to do it? hopefully truck is running good by next friday. i have plans to go to ennis for 1st time.

charlie
03-18-2009, 06:53 PM
When you go to Ennis let me know, I'll go, I need to do some 1/4 mile data logging.

hillman
03-18-2009, 07:10 PM
no i didnt wash the engine again. thats why im confused on why its missing again. im scheduled for a plug change saturday. i will tell the ford house that my truck is missing and to check each of my coil packs and see if they are wet. if so ill tell them to dry them off good. if truck is still missing after the plug change should i order new coil packs? also should i go ahead and gap my ngk tr6's at .34 myself or just tell them to do it? hopefully truck is running good by next friday. i have plans to go to ennis for 1st time.
could be a bad sparkplug/COP. if it still is misfiring after the plug change, i wouldnt order all of them. the dealership can run a diagnostic which says what COP isnt working right. i actually did that today b/c my truck was still misfiring in boost even though i changed the plugs yesterday and the fuel filter last week. turns out it was the #7 cop that didnt give enough power at higher rpm's. bought a new one and i replaced the bad one, and now it runs perfect.

01 bolt
03-18-2009, 07:26 PM
charlie i will be at ennis on friday the 27th. white lightning, chrome rims,svt lightning sticker on top of windshield. my truck is stock except for a catback exhaust. what should i run? COP, is that the coil packs?

Sandman
03-18-2009, 07:45 PM
Heh.. mine was stumbling a little a few months back. It stopped stumbling, but I had Ford check it out anyhow since it was almost out of warranty. They claimed it was missing on 4 cylinders something like 10% of the time, but they couldn't find anything wrong. I was like, wth!?

Then I asked them, did those misses show up around the 1-2 shift? :icon_mrgreen: To which they replied yes.

my2002lightning
03-18-2009, 08:41 PM
http://www.ls2.com/forums/images/smilies/headscratch.gifhttp://www.ls2.com/forums/images/smilies/loser.gif Which dealership, Andy?

Then I asked them, did those misses show up around the 1-2 shift? :icon_mrgreen: To which they replied yes.

charlie
03-18-2009, 08:57 PM
charlie i will be at ennis on friday the 27th. white lightning, chrome rims,svt lightning sticker on top of windshield. my truck is stock except for a catback exhaust. what should i run? COP, is that the coil packs?

13.6 to 14.4 <------ Reality. Unless you own a freak truck.

If it's a test and tune, and ends early I can go.
I got to get up early the 28th. Going to CHL class early in the am.

Look in my gallery. You will see my truck pic @ Ennis.

hillman
03-18-2009, 09:19 PM
COP, is that the coil packs?
ya same thing

01 bolt
03-19-2009, 06:24 PM
oh wow........... i better not run a 14.4

01 bolt
03-19-2009, 08:10 PM
WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! man my truck is really tripping me out. let me tell the story again. one day i sprayed the engine off truck was missing real bad so i let it sit over night. got in it the next day, truck ran like a champ. now couple months down the road as i already mentioned truck starts missing again. but i didnt spray the engine this time. i let the truck sit for a couple of days and i hop in it today to see if she's still missing and it runs like a champ. why does my truck keep breaking and fixing itself??????? should i go ahead and replace the coil packs???????

dboat
03-19-2009, 08:42 PM
should i go ahead and replace the coil packs???????

if its a coil pack, only replace them one at a time.. the one that is broken of course.. pay Terry to fix it right and be done with it.
Dana

charlie
03-19-2009, 08:47 PM
Another thing to check is the electrical plugs. In particular, the one that is on the passenger side fire wall. Mine had a bad connection, and caused an intermittent missing once.

Charlie

01 bolt
03-19-2009, 09:00 PM
well saturday when i get my plugs changed ill tell ford to check my coil packs and if they say they are all good then i wont replace any of them. if my truck misses again after the plug change and the ok on the coils im gonna flip OUT!!!!!! lol.

Sandman
03-19-2009, 11:05 PM
WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! man my truck is really tripping me out. let me tell the story again. one day i sprayed the engine off truck was missing real bad so i let it sit over night. got in it the next day, truck ran like a champ. now couple months down the road as i already mentioned truck starts missing again. but i didnt spray the engine this time. i let the truck sit for a couple of days and i hop in it today to see if she's still missing and it runs like a champ. why does my truck keep breaking and fixing itself??????? should i go ahead and replace the coil packs???????

Did it start missing again about the time we that cool snap last week? Condensation could have formed.

charlie
03-20-2009, 08:58 AM
well saturday when i get my plugs changed ill tell ford to check my coil packs and if they say they are all good then i wont replace any of them. if my truck misses again after the plug change and the ok on the coils im gonna flip OUT!!!!!! lol.

UH.... Your taking it to Ford? :eek:

Please say you miss typed that. Or at least you have a valet tune.

Why not take it to Terry? He wont rape you, he will be done before you smoke a cigarette, and he will look your truck over for any real looming issues. Ya think some tech. at Ford will treat you that good?

bluebullet80
03-20-2009, 09:04 AM

Why not take it to Terry? He wont rape you, he will be done before you smoke a cigarette, and he will look your truck over for any real looming issues. Ya think some tech. at Ford will treat you that good?

as for personal obligated reasons for taking any of my vehicles to the ford " house " as we call it up here it is roughly the equivalent of strapping c4 to numerous hidden locations around the truck and giving them the detonator
but that's just my thoughts... i'm sure there are in fact some places somewhere that do good work but i don't take chances when getting work done to my baby :D

charlie
03-20-2009, 09:45 AM
i'm sure there are in fact some places somewhere that do good work but i don't take chances when getting work done to my baby :D

That is exactly why I will never take my truck to Ford.

I'm the guy that don't let any one touch my stuff. But, I do trust Terry.

Hell I even learned how to paint, so I would not have to leave my bike some where.

I would take the trans out and deliver it to be worked on, long before I would leave my truck any where.

dboat
03-20-2009, 10:36 AM

Bullett, this is good advice.. I wont let anyone really work on my truck besides Terry..

Dana

joshc_guitar
03-20-2009, 03:54 PM
last i heard terry wasn't doin' anything for awhile??

dboat
03-22-2009, 05:09 AM
last i heard terry wasn't doin' anything for awhile??

he will, if you ask, make sure he is free and make a deposit.. again, worth it to me.. respect the man's time and skills and you shall be rewarded..

Dana