PDA

View Full Version : Instrument Light Panel

SVTLght99
03-30-2009, 11:32 AM
Hey guys, my dads 00 lightnings instrument panel light does not work. ALL the gauges work fine but when he turns on his lights, the gauges dont light up. The miles light up but the gauges dont. He only has 40k miles on it so I dont see why it would go out. Anyone have ideas? If we have to take the instrument panel off, then how would you do that?

ZeusSVT
03-30-2009, 06:10 PM
Check the fuse in slot 18 in your fuse box under the dash. I think it should be a 5 amp fuse. It might have blown. This would be my first step before yanking anything off.

SVTLght99
03-30-2009, 11:06 PM
We have already checked the fuse. Its fine and not blown out

In2deep
03-30-2009, 11:16 PM
I know the gauge works different then others it has a separate piece to light up the green color could have burned out i would try to locate another gauge cheap off ebay or if you know someone with an L close swap guages to test!!

99WhiteBeast
03-31-2009, 07:56 AM
There is a write up over on L rodder on how to remove the cluster and fix that issue.

T Hogg
03-31-2009, 08:01 AM
There is a write up over on L rodder on how to remove the cluster and fix that issue.

+1 I just did mine. It's a PITA but it works and will save you about $300-$400.

richardekirby
04-01-2009, 03:39 PM
The same thing happened to me last year on my '99. I did the fix the previous guys talked about, but it did not work. I ended up buying a somewhat screwed up cluster off of ebay, pulling the inverter board out of it, and swapped it with the bad one. It works good now. I have some of the fuses that are needed to do the repair if you want to give that a try. I had to buy a pack of five from Fry's. It will probably work for you, I think my old inverter board was cracked and that is why the fix did not work for me. Let me know if you want some fuses. They are free. All you need to do is come to Garland and get them or give me your address and I will mail them to you.

richardekirby
04-01-2009, 03:44 PM
Here is a link to SVT Performance that details the replacement of the fuse on the inverter board. Good luck.
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/2nd-generation-22/434296-lights-went-out-dash.html