PDA

View Full Version : Last night

toddwarren
05-02-2009, 12:39 PM
I thought the event last night was fun and saw or heard no trouble makers.
I am new to racing scene at the track, but I thought of some things that I thought would make this more exciting for both clubs.
If Yankee could list his guys trucks from fastest to slowest and Talon did the same it would make for much better more even matches to watch.
I see no reason for a proven 12 second truck racing a proven 13 second truck what is the point?
For example: if T Hogg who had the fastest truck raced all the chevys he would have beat them all, but he should only run against the Chevy clubs fastest trucks IMHO. Maybe he did?
It appeared Talon had quite a few Lightnings with only a pulley and tune for modifications which is basically a stock truck, no ones fault on either side with this, but a stock truck racing a highly modified truck with nitrous seems to leave little doubt on the outcome.
I was pleased with my first trip in my crew cab Harley on street tires running a 13.666 at 100.55 Mph with little traction as my 2.136 60 time illustrates.
I still had a lot of fun and maybe lopsided match racing is the norm?
Have a good weekend!

99WhiteBeast
05-02-2009, 01:31 PM
Nice to meet you Todd- the Terry tune proved 'the mark of the beast' 13.666:icon_mrgreen:

Good times- I also like the idea of pairing up the trucks running similar times within a few tenth's. That would make for some good drag racing.

DBRODS
05-02-2009, 01:44 PM
The brown single cab 98 chevy had a stock motor and trans in it running 13.8s all night.

WA 2 FST
05-02-2009, 03:02 PM
Todd,

Welcome to racing. I didn't go, didn't have a dog in this fight (oops... bad Michael Vick pun), so I should keep my mouth shut. But I've been on here awhile, so the L guys at least will have some respect for me when I say that I agree with you 100%.

Years ago when I was running a 5.0 Mustang in the Outlaw class, a group of Grand National guys put an event together. It was just a small club, but they did a sensational job with the way they paired up the vehicles (GN vs. 5.0 Mustang).

Basically, the way they did it, was how you suggested, and it promoted _attendance_ and favored the group with the most vehicles. Why? Simple. You get 2 time-trial runs. If you want to sandbag, ok, there's nothing to do about that except that your truck cannot run .5 quicker in elims than it did in the time-trial. If you ran .5 or faster than your time-trial then you automatically forfeited to your opponent, even if you whipped him. That strongly discouraged the sandbagging in time-trials, but it also allowed you to "leave something on the table" for your opponent, or if the weather got better as the day went on, it allowed some compensation there.

Take the top 16 vehicles on each side. If there were 25 each, then you'd take 25. #1 time trial runs vs. #1 on the other side, all the way down to how many vehicles the group with the least had show up.

Again, the great thing was this promoted attendance. Some races were really close, some were not. If you are #18 and you run a 12.5 and the opponents' #18 runs an 11.8, then you're taking one for the team, but that's the way it goes. This also gets rid of stupid/silly bracket racing, where someone gets a head start. That is just ghey, IMHO.

Sounds like your truck ran about what I'd expect for that big sled in high humidity on street tires. How did Lance's stocker do? I'm going to guess 14.2s in the nasty air.

Turns out I should have gone. We drove to the baseball fields this morning at 6am only to find it was way to wet/dangerous to put teenagers on the field. :flaming: I could have gone racing with you guys last night. Wouldn't have brought the L... that's my son's now. He's learning to drive and doing very well. I'm glad I took the KB off, though. He doesn't need a low-12 sec truck his first day out on the street.

I will get the GT500 down there someday (although the new 1/4mile track looks very appealing when it opens up). Should be good for low, mid-11s on radials.

toddwarren
05-02-2009, 06:36 PM
Wes I hate you missed the action it was certainly a good time.
Yes a lot of the matches I saw were lop sided, the chevy club had some fast trucks for sure I give them full credit, but some matches were wins by one truck being completely over matched, no excuses I hope we can get better pairings and have real head to head races in the fall. I really dont see the sport in having an 11 second truck and racing a 13 second truck!
You were correct yesterday saying traction was going to kill me, I could not get on it off the line at all in the lead sled, because it would just sit and spin badly, I was happy with what I ran and maybe some new track rear rubber is in order.

WA 2 FST
05-02-2009, 06:41 PM
Wes I hate you missed the action it was certainly a good time.
Yes a lot of the matches I saw were lop sided, the chevy club had some fast trucks for sure I give them full credit, but some matches were wins by one truck being completely over matched, no excuses I hope we can get better pairings and have real head to head races in the fall. I really dont see the sport in having an 11 second truck and racing a 13 second truck!
You were correct yesterday saying traction was going to kill me, I could not get on it off the line at all in the lead sled, because it would just sit and spin badly, I was happy with what I ran and maybe some new track rear rubber is in order.

Yep... in your case, your ET and MPH will go up with some stickier rear rubber. Get a spare pair of L wheels and some BFG or Nitto DRs and you'll be good to go.

Did Lance run?

toddwarren
05-02-2009, 06:45 PM
He did not take his Lightning we just took the Harley, I let him take it down the track towards the end of the night. He thought he could stomp on it from the line and set and spun for what seemed like an eternity he notched a 15.2 with his effort.

WA 2 FST
05-02-2009, 06:47 PM
He did not take his Lightning we just took the Harley, I let him take it down the track towards the end of the night. He thought he could stomp on it from the line and set and spun for what seemed like an eternity he notched a 15.2 with his effort.

LOL... sounds like the first time I ever raced. Had a 5.0 Mustang that (at the time) would run 13.2s... ran something like a 16.4, spinning at the line. It had to be funny to watch.

toddwarren
05-02-2009, 06:50 PM
He was embarrased, but I had told him you cant nail it at the line to much power and not enough traction. Well you will soon learn how it is trying to communicate to 17 year olds

toddwarren
05-02-2009, 06:51 PM
Droids then that truck like a good match for my Harley I ran 13.6!

WA 2 FST
05-02-2009, 06:53 PM
He was embarrased, but I had told him you cant nail it at the line to much power and not enough traction. Well you will soon learn how it is trying to communicate to 17 year olds

LOL... well, in Lance's defense, it happens... you just have to experience it and then you learn. Even then it honestly takes a LOT of practice and experience with how tracks hook on different days, with different tires, in different air conditions. It's easier in an auto trans vehicle than a stick where launch rpms can vary significantly, but the difference b/w spin and bog can be a really fine line. The fact he blew the tires off like that doesn't surprise me, and he shouldn't be embarrased. It happens. Just like ducking the first time you see a really nasty curveball. :tu:

DBRODS
05-02-2009, 07:42 PM
Droids then that truck like a good match for my Harley I ran 13.6!
So that was you that ran me toward the end of the night. I really wanted to meet and talk to a few more of yall from here.

ZeusSVT
05-02-2009, 07:51 PM
So that was you that ran me toward the end of the night. I really wanted to meet and talk to a few more of yall from here.

Too bad you're not local. We have a GTG thursday night at bonedaddys in Arlington. Wanna make the drive two weeks in a row?? :icon_mrgreen: This will be our first time going to this location.

Beaudee
05-02-2009, 08:00 PM
Sounds like the Harley is running good Todd,what mods you have on it..Anyone see a black GT500 or a fast Evo with no rear spoiler.I didnt make it,had other things going on.Sounds like you guys had a great time.Anyone got any videos.:tu:

toddwarren
05-02-2009, 08:23 PM
dbrods if you had the SS with the nitrous spewing out from the hood later in the evening that truck ran strong. That was my truck but my 17 year old son driving not a great match for certain he turned a 15.2!
That truck ran a lot faster than 13.6 which was my best time of the night even if "Big daddy don Garlits" was driving mine (LOL)

toddwarren
05-02-2009, 08:27 PM
Beaudee missed you and your L, Terry put a 2.3 Kenne Bell, some 60 Lb. injectors, a MAF and I already had a 6# lower pulley. Still on the stock block and transmission with 95K miles and going strong at the moment.:rll:

DBRODS
05-02-2009, 08:39 PM
dbrods if you had the SS with the nitrous spewing out from the hood later in the evening that truck ran strong. That was my truck but my 17 year old son driving not a great match for certain he turned a 15.2!
That truck ran a lot faster than 13.6 which was my best time of the night even if "Big daddy don Garlits" was driving mine (LOL)

Nope that wasn't me, I was in the 1995 Red extended cab

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk272/dbrods/_DSC0201.jpg

brobradh77
05-02-2009, 08:54 PM

that was me....i had a great time...my purge is obnoxious..lol I figured that was truck was strong and I would have to get ya off the line so I got a little happy foot..lol

I saw how strong the mph was vs. the time so i figured something happened.