PDA

View Full Version : Sadly the Lightning has been retired.

joshc_guitar
05-02-2009, 03:35 PM
She was too much to handle right now, so I traded it on an 05 Mustang GT. Hopefully one day soon I'll buy another L to be my toy.

ZeusSVT
05-02-2009, 04:23 PM
She was too much to handle right now, so I traded it on an 05 Mustang GT. Hopefully one day soon I'll buy another L to be my toy.

:hammer:

You'll regret it later....Good luck with the stang though.:tu:

dboat
05-02-2009, 06:00 PM
you have to do what you have to do.. wish you well with the Stang.. but sorry to hear it had to happen..

Dana

tiffo60
05-03-2009, 04:48 PM
should have held out for an 03-04 cobra, the new GT's are dissapointments.... not trying to offend :tu:

my2002lightning
05-03-2009, 07:33 PM
Agreed on the '03/'04 Cobra. I'd suppose much better mpg from your '01 L.

Good luck, either way.:tu:

should have held out for an 03-04 cobra

0'Lightning
05-04-2009, 02:20 PM
I'm sorry to hear that:icon_sad:
The new stangs are pretty cool though.

In2deep
05-04-2009, 11:32 PM
Damn dude terrible mistake...

joshc_guitar
05-19-2009, 12:30 PM
:hammer:

You'll regret it later....Good luck with the stang though.:tu:

I do and I don't. The 'stang is much more comfortable and well mannered. I can choose how I drive being that it's a stick instead of aggressive all the time like the L.

should have held out for an 03-04 cobra, the new GT's are dissapointments.... not trying to offend :tu:

The new GT's are much faster than the 4th gens. I'd have liked to get a termy but, I had to get rid of the lightning and I didn't want to buy another pre-modded SVT. I just wanted a clean slate and there were no nice stock termys around for my price range.

Agreed on the '03/'04 Cobra. I'd suppose much better mpg from your '01 L.

Good luck, either way.:tu:

I got 30+ doing 50 in 5th gear down Jupiter Rd last night. Thanks.

Damn dude terrible mistake...

IDK if I agree or not. IF I could have had another DD instead of the L I'd have kept it in a heartbeat I loved my Lightning to death. But the L was my DD and it was unreliable. It needed upwards of 5k worth of work just to be fully functional. It was fun while it lasted and I may buy another one someday. But for now i just needed something that I know is going to start up in the morning( and not smoke like a chimney.)

I'm seriously considering buying a 1st gen rolling chasis for a project.

In2deep
05-19-2009, 12:53 PM
Well all in all at least u kept it in the ford family~~

WA 2 FST
05-19-2009, 02:29 PM
Lightning = unreliable? I don't remember your truck, but these things are darn near bulletproof. Gen 1s are easy to work on, and Gen 2s... I've had one since '99... never had a reliability issue.

But the new GT is nice. Have fun with it. I enjoy my GT500.

ZeusSVT
05-19-2009, 03:31 PM
Lightning = unreliable? I don't remember your truck, but these things are darn near bulletproof. Gen 1s are easy to work on, and Gen 2s... I've had one since '99... never had a reliability issue.

I think he was using it as a dialy driver AND beating the piss out of it at the track a few times a week. That added in with maintenance that probably wasn't up to par for that kind of a beating probably led to the troubles. I'm just taking a guess though. :throw:

my2002lightning
05-19-2009, 03:37 PM
Same here. Just had a few coil-packs go out over the years. Regular servicing and it's all good.

...but these things are darn near bulletproof ... never had a reliability issue.

joshc_guitar
06-29-2009, 09:38 AM
Been awhile since I've logged in.

Blown Head gaskets, a couple bad coils, the front cats blew out into the back ones, wrong pulleys for the tune, and it needed all new brakes. I had it for 7 months and had it in the shop 3 times. That's pretty unreliable. It probably would have been great if i could have worked all the kinks out. But I couldn't afford the shop bills.

I think he was using it as a dialy driver AND beating the piss out of it at the track a few times a week. That added in with maintenance that probably wasn't up to par for that kind of a beating probably led to the troubles. I'm just taking a guess though. :throw:

I only took it to the track 3 times. Only 2 of which I made a pass. BUT that's why I bought that truck.

Same here. Just had a few coil-packs go out over the years. Regular servicing and it's all good.

I had all kinds of troubles since I bought it, it was just a lemon, or it was mistreated before I got it.

I'm looking at buying a 1st gen for a project. I've actually started saving up for it. Hell who knows, maybe i'll keep saving and get another second gen. But this time it'll be stock. That was the mistake I made, was buying a modded, ragged out truck, because I was blinded by the fact that it was a Lightning.

tliss
06-29-2009, 10:35 AM
Hmmm...wonder if it was FrankenTruck that Rob traded in...

That truck must have had parts from 20 different Lightnings after it was all parted out...:d

Tom

L8 APEX
06-29-2009, 03:56 PM
Don't blame bad mods etc on reliability. These trucks are solid when treated properly. Rob's truck still runs 11's and 7's at the track every now and then. A guy nameed Sean owns it from Alvarado. He hasn't been easy on it either. I think he put a KB back on it.

03LightningRocks
07-03-2009, 10:02 PM
Don't blame bad mods etc on reliability. These trucks are solid when treated properly. Rob's truck still runs 11's and 7's at the track every now and then. A guy nameed Sean owns it from Alvarado. He hasn't been easy on it either. I think he put a KB back on it.

LOL...that truck has my original stock motor in it. It only had about 5K miles on it when Bad Rob made the swap with me for his built motor.

joshc_guitar
07-22-2009, 01:00 PM

I don't blame the mods for what went wrong with mine. I blame the old owner if anything.

ZeusSVT
07-22-2009, 04:50 PM
Been awhile since I've logged in.

I only took it to the track 3 times. Only 2 of which I made a pass. BUT that's why I bought that truck.

I haven't been on in a while either, but....

3 Times? :tex Maybe a week. Anyone that is on LightningRodder could see that you were coming on there weekly talking about racing it at some redneck track next to your house. Not to argue with you, but I could pull multiple quotes like these from your profile on LR, where you were wanting race advice or inviting everyone in the area to meet you there on certain days. Unless of course you were just "watching" all those other times. :d

This was just at a quick glance:

Ok so, I'm goin to the track again on Sunday. I went last week and my best time was a 9.00 on the 1/8th. I forgot to put her in the race tune, for one thing, but I think I can improve my ETs even more with a little advice.

Im on street tires (Hankook Ventus ST)

ok new times!

8.58, 8.54, 8.55, 8.54 !!!!!!!!!!

Doing much better. The race tune definitely helps. I also got my reaction times down by a bunch.

And I totally spanked an SRT10 2/3 times.

OK, in effort to enhance my times @ the track I will be at Redline as much as I can. That being said here is a standing invite to come race, have a good time, and for my sake maybe I can pick up some pointers. I pwnd a SRT10 Sunday. But again, I think it'd be cool to see some more Lightnings come out and show people how it's done...

Redline Raceway, off of I-30 just east of Royse City.

$18 per racer
$13 per spectator

www.redlineraceway.com (http://www.redlineraceway.com/)

03LightningRocks
07-22-2009, 05:02 PM
I haven't been on in a while either, but....

3 Times? :tex Maybe a week. Anyone that is on LightningRodder could see that you were coming on there weekly talking about racing it at some redneck track next to your house. Not to argue with you, but I could pull multiple quotes like these from your profile on LR, where you were wanting race advice or inviting everyone in the area to meet you there on certain days. Unless of course you were just "watching" all those other times. :d

This was just at a quick glance:

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/gooddookie_2.jpg

In2deep
07-22-2009, 05:35 PM
Welocome back mike, that's some good sh* t!!

ZeusSVT
07-23-2009, 05:39 AM
Howdy...:icon_lol:

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c139/dmsheid/Suicide.gif

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c139/dmsheid/ladypunchzg4.gif

nacklas
07-23-2009, 08:41 PM
Howdy...:icon_lol:

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c139/dmsheid/Suicide.gif

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c139/dmsheid/ladypunchzg4.gif

:rll::rll::rll::rll:

kirkmears