PDA

View Full Version : Ford vs Chevy Fall Shootout Discussion

BC Lightning
05-03-2009, 02:02 AM
What month would people like the second shootout to take place

September, October, November, or December

It also needs to take place on a Saturday so it gives people enough time if they are coming from out of town

I have spoken to a few Chevy guys and they are willing to get the interest and collect money from them so that we can rent the track

We still need to get some information from the track as far as availability, price, etc

But we had around 50 Lightnings/Harleys and if we charged $20-30 a person we could probably raise enough funds to rent out the track

Let the discussion begin

duckysbht
05-03-2009, 02:08 AM
Is this going to be at Ennis or somewhere else?

BC Lightning
05-03-2009, 02:33 AM
Is this going to be at Ennis or somewhere else?

At Ennis, unless the new track is open by then and we can get a better price there :tu:

duckysbht
05-03-2009, 02:38 AM
At Ennis, unless the new track is open by then and we can get a better price there :tu:

Well tell the track prep guys that where ever we decide to hold our meet, is where they need to be. Because last night was the best I have ever seen. I didn't cut my best 60ft. because of my newly acquired stall, but it was great prep. Hardly any water and VHT to go around :evil

REDBLITZ
05-03-2009, 08:13 AM
Has their been any discussion on how it will be organized? Classes? Top 15-20? Best 60ft? Best 1/8th? Heads up? Stuff like that.

brobradh77
05-03-2009, 11:08 AM
I am all for it..and renting out a track would be sweet..that way we can grudge race all day/night long..i like the night racing myself...

Are y'all still wanting to run the 1/4? I have heard intrest in y'all wanting to run the 1/8 next time.

99WhiteBeast
05-03-2009, 11:21 AM
Are y'all still wanting to run the 1/4? I have heard intrest in y'all wanting to run the 1/8 next time.

I think that talk was just centered around maybe getting more runs or being better organized at a smaller venue- hence the 1/8. I think there are more options available in the 1/8 format for a track rental.

Shiner1
05-03-2009, 11:25 AM
I think that talk was just centered around maybe getting more runs or being better organized at a smaller venue- hence the 1/8. I think there are more options available in the 1/8 format for a track rental.

+1, more racing, less waiting..

REDBLITZ
05-03-2009, 12:16 PM
I've seen rental rates for smaller tracks and it was high as hell. Renting Ennis for a day has got to be several thousands of dollars.

On a side note, prefer 1/4 mile. It would work in our favor but I think 1/4 would be best.

duckysbht
05-03-2009, 12:29 PM
Yeah I prefer 1/4 as well, it takes me till the 1/8 to get my turbo even spooled up... :evil

DamnYankee
05-03-2009, 12:57 PM
I vote Ennis in October...it should be cool, I think we can get the track for a decent price, I think we can get enough guys to show up.

I say we save the discussions about classes, who runs who, etc. for another time.

BC Lightning
05-03-2009, 02:11 PM
When it was looked into renting Ennis for the TALON fall classic a few years back it was around $3500. I'm not sure of the price since it has been a few years.

The reason for needing the track to be rented is it gives more organized racing, less waiting around, and less chance of complete blowouts.

There has to be classes, this past Friday was a prime example, Fords had the fastest time, yet Chevy had the most overall wins

If you break it into classes and stick with it it is more heads up racing, where reaction time plays a big part in the race

Like I stated earlier, if we can get 50 committed people from both sides to give $20 that's $1,000 from each side, $2,000 total. That should be a pretty good down payment, then set up a date and within a certain amount of time from that date the price goes up, maybe from $20 to $30, $10 or $15 to watch. There are guys who have said they are willing to pay $100 each

That way people are more inclined to come since they gave money up front

Then Lightnings race each other to get their times, and Chevys race each other. You get your dial in times and stay in your appropriate lanes i.e. lanes 1 for Lightning 13.0+ Lane 2 for Silverados 13.0+, lane 3 L's 12.0-12.99 Lane 4 Chevy 12.0-12.99 and so on

I really think it is possible and having 5 months to plan will give more people the ability to take off work and make travel arrangements

With it being private we could get more involvment out of the track to make sure the right trucks are in the right lanes, so a 10sec truck doesn't run in the 14.0 group

ZeusSVT
05-03-2009, 02:34 PM
I'm in. I vote for October. Who's collecting money from our side?? I can front some extra too if it means getting it locked in on the schedule so people can start getting their plans taken care of to be there.

BC Lightning
05-03-2009, 02:40 PM
At the meet this week I think it would be goo to discuss this. Maybe the track has a paypal account or some type of account and we could pay them directly, instead of having an individual taking the money

Plus someone needs to speak with the track and see if any Saturdays in October are available. . . . . . **cough cough . . . . Tiffo :D

tiffo60
05-03-2009, 04:39 PM
I voted for October because August and September are going to be way to hot

tiffo60
05-03-2009, 04:40 PM
At the meet this week I think it would be goo to discuss this. Maybe the track has a paypal account or some type of account and we could pay them directly, instead of having an individual taking the money

Plus someone needs to speak with the track and see if any Saturdays in October are available. . . . . . **cough cough . . . . Tiffo :D

I will email her on Cost of track rental in Oct.:tu:

john.s
05-03-2009, 05:15 PM
im down for this

Silver_2000
05-03-2009, 06:36 PM
this will require the active participation of at least 3 people from the 2 sites to make this happen

If you rent the track you cant count on the track to run it the way you want unless you tell them exactly how you want it and demand it

My experience with rental fees is that the fee is the starting price
It includes little
VHT after initial prep is extra
Oil downs - extra
Ambulance staff - may be extra

Just be prepared to be hit for a large bill at the end

WA 2 FST
05-03-2009, 07:02 PM
Michael,

I'm telling you, the way the Buick GN vs. 5.0 Mustang Shootouts were done a decade ago work the best.

You can have "fun grudge" matches during breaks or after the event is over, but the best way to get the most participation is to let everyone run time-trials and then line up #1 vs. #1 - #20 vs. #20 (or however many the smallest group shows). The more trucks each side brings out, the better chance they have to win.

You get 2-3 time trials, and then you allow for .5 "breakout". It isn't a bracket race, its heads-up, but if anyone runs over .5 quicker than their best time-trial run, then they lose due to exhorbitant sandbagging. This way, someone couldn't run a 13.2 in order to race a slower truck, and then bust off an 11.8 and take an easy win.

You may have some "unfair" races at the beginning if one group has five low-10 sec trucks, and the other group only has two, and then the next three are mid-11 sec trucks. But it all evens out over 25-30 races.

It also adds some competition among your own group. If you have 30 Lightnings and 40 Chevy's, then the Chevy guys have to fight it out to see who is going to finish in the top 30.

Sure, this format takes a couple of organizers, but it is very fair, rewards participation, and doesn't allow for excuses. It also rewards the "team." If I lose my race b/c I'm racing a much faster truck, hopefully as it trickles down, I will have helped one on my side win a race later on against a slower truck. It's still very fun, and by the time you get to #8 vs. #8 or so, things are typically very even. If one side shows up with 40 really fast trucks, then they will walk away with it... and would have anyway.

The way it is now, the guys with the really fast trucks are not rewarded for showing up. No one wants to race them. On the flip side, the guys with the really fast trucks shouldn't be allowed to race/beat more than 1 opponent. Throwing the "ringer" out there to race the other side's fastest 3-4 trucks doesn't fly.

Just a suggestion. :)

Then Lightnings race each other to get their times, and Chevys race each other. You get your dial in times and stay in your appropriate lanes i.e. lanes 1 for Lightning 13.0+ Lane 2 for Silverados 13.0+, lane 3 L's 12.0-12.99 Lane 4 Chevy 12.0-12.99 and so on

I really think it is possible and having 5 months to plan will give more people the ability to take off work and make travel arrangements

With it being private we could get more involvment out of the track to make sure the right trucks are in the right lanes, so a 10sec truck doesn't run in the 14.0 group

SS THiS
05-03-2009, 07:22 PM
Count me in!

Ohmsby
05-03-2009, 07:28 PM
You know I think we can pull off a fairly large event and it was fun seeing that many trucks Lets look at the new track in Crandall?? Ennis track rental?? I think we could put two hundred trucks in the lot

Chris94L
05-03-2009, 07:39 PM
Crandall track has a couple events scheduled this month, supposed to open this week or next.

REDBLITZ
05-03-2009, 08:13 PM
That may be a good bargaining point. Tell Ennis the other track will give it to us for $1000. LOL.

DamnYankee
05-03-2009, 09:11 PM
Last I talked to Sammy @ Crandall he wanted $7500 for track rental. :eek:

WA 2 FST
05-03-2009, 10:54 PM

Wow! I know it looks nice, but sheesh...

How much is it to race there on a Friday night (per racer...Test N Tune)?

99WhiteBeast
05-03-2009, 11:14 PM
Michael,

I'm telling you, the way the Buick GN vs. 5.0 Mustang Shootouts were done a decade ago work the best.

You can have "fun grudge" matches during breaks or after the event is over, but the best way to get the most participation is to let everyone run time-trials and then line up #1 vs. #1 - #20 vs. #20 (or however many the smallest group shows). The more trucks each side brings out, the better chance they have to win.

You get 2-3 time trials, and then you allow for .5 "breakout". It isn't a bracket race, its heads-up, but if anyone runs over .5 quicker than their best time-trial run, then they lose due to exhorbitant sandbagging. This way, someone couldn't run a 13.2 in order to race a slower truck, and then bust off an 11.8 and take an easy win.

You may have some "unfair" races at the beginning if one group has five low-10 sec trucks, and the other group only has two, and then the next three are mid-11 sec trucks. But it all evens out over 25-30 races.

It also adds some competition among your own group. If you have 30 Lightnings and 40 Chevy's, then the Chevy guys have to fight it out to see who is going to finish in the top 30.

Sure, this format takes a couple of organizers, but it is very fair, rewards participation, and doesn't allow for excuses. It also rewards the "team." If I lose my race b/c I'm racing a much faster truck, hopefully as it trickles down, I will have helped one on my side win a race later on against a slower truck. It's still very fun, and by the time you get to #8 vs. #8 or so, things are typically very even. If one side shows up with 40 really fast trucks, then they will walk away with it... and would have anyway.

The way it is now, the guys with the really fast trucks are not rewarded for showing up. No one wants to race them. On the flip side, the guys with the really fast trucks shouldn't be allowed to race/beat more than 1 opponent. Throwing the "ringer" out there to race the other side's fastest 3-4 trucks doesn't fly.

Just a suggestion. :)

That seems fair and a great way to really make it a team effort:tu:

eddiesvt02
05-04-2009, 03:01 AM
Count me in, i voted for November bc in oct is too hot still, thats just my opinion but im up for any month.

ThunderBolt
05-04-2009, 03:29 AM
I haven't voted yet.

I'm leaning more towards 1/8 mile. Many of us faster than average Lightnings will only get away with making one 1/4 mile pass before getting kicked off. I'm not sure if I'm ready to install a roll cage at this time.

SS THiS
05-04-2009, 07:51 AM
What about SAR?? They are more lean on tech also right??

ONROIDS
05-04-2009, 08:00 AM
i seen some talk of 1/8th mile i prefer 1/4 myself, and doesnt 1/4 mile favor the lightnings better anyways. its whatever though, im finishing the truck and parking it so not to break before this one.

tiffo60
05-04-2009, 08:04 AM
I emailed Ennis this morning to check the rates. I'll let everyone know when I here back from them:tu:

HARLEY/SC
05-04-2009, 10:30 AM
I voted for October because August and September are going to be way to hot
im down for october to.. So whos taking tha money. dont care how much it is just let me know n ill put it up front?!:tu:
Bet itll be as good as this one!

tiffo60
05-04-2009, 10:42 AM
im down for october to.. So whos taking tha money. dont care how much it is just let me know n ill put it up front?!:tu:
Bet itll be as good as this one!

We discussed everyone making deposits into a paypal account, which I can setup, but there isnt any need to do this until we know the prices and everyone is in agreement on terms, times, ect. And once the deposits are made they are non-refundable unless the event is canceled all-together.

HARLEY/SC
05-04-2009, 10:45 AM
Sounds good to me. just keep us posted so we can go ahead n do it? thanks for da info bro?

ThunderBolt
05-04-2009, 02:30 PM
i seen some talk of 1/8th mile i prefer 1/4 myself, and doesnt 1/4 mile favor the lightnings better anyways. its whatever though, im finishing the truck and parking it so not to break before this one.

Not when you're faster than 11.49 and don't have a roll cage.

I suppose 1/8 mile races can be set-up at a 1/4 mile track for the faster guys.

lenard_hester
05-04-2009, 02:52 PM
Man, after reading about the last one I am sorry I missed it. I would definitely be in next time.

tiffo60
05-04-2009, 04:11 PM
Oct @ Ennis is out, she said the only thing available for rental is Aug 22nd and she is getting back to me with pricing. If we want to keep October and dont mind going somewhere else(San Antonio is the chevys pic) then the cheby boys are going to have to get pricing

ZeusSVT
05-04-2009, 04:30 PM
Oct @ Ennis is out, she said the only thing available for rental is Aug 22nd and she is getting back to me with pricing. If we want to keep October and dont mind going somewhere else(San Antonio is the chevys pic) then the cheby boys are going to have to get pricing

August is going to be hot as all hell. :(

tiffo60
05-04-2009, 04:36 PM
August is going to be hot as all hell. :(

Garranteed:rolleyes:

BC Lightning
05-04-2009, 05:07 PM

Every month is out except August, maybe Nov or December??

tiffo60
05-05-2009, 12:40 PM
Every month is out except August, maybe Nov or December??

yup....

99WhiteBeast
05-05-2009, 04:19 PM
Somebody just needs to buy Hallsville and we'll make it the official track of Talon.

Some good times (literally) down there:tu::bows

TXLIGHTNING
05-05-2009, 05:11 PM
Somebody just needs to buy Hallsville and we'll make it the official track of Talon.

Some good times (literally) down there:tu::bows Tell me about it man! Ive been waiting for Hallsville to open for years. For anyone interested http://www.speedwaybids.com/auction_details.php?auction_id=108182&option=auction_friend :evil

Silver_2000
05-05-2009, 05:18 PM
Tell me about it man! Ive been waiting for Hallsville to open for years. For anyone interested http://www.speedwaybids.com/auction_details.php?auction_id=108182&option=auction_friend :evil

$5k an acre ?

Isnt that high for land in the middle of nowhere with no services to speak of ?

TXLIGHTNING
05-05-2009, 05:21 PM
$5k an acre ?

Isnt that high for land in the middle of nowhere with no services to speak of ? Exactly Doug! That's why its still for sale. I wish they would split up the acreage and try to make a sale.

Sandman
05-05-2009, 05:29 PM
Hm.. we have 197 active members... That means we could each contribute $2406 and we could have our own club track!
:burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout:

In2deep
05-05-2009, 05:41 PM
Hm.. we have 197 active members... That means we could each contribute $2406 and we could have our own club track!
:burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout:

sweet

slick-svt
05-05-2009, 07:26 PM
I'm 2k short right now.

mustgofaster
05-05-2009, 08:28 PM
i'm 2k short right now.

+1

REDBLITZ
05-05-2009, 09:00 PM
I'm still thinking that renting ennis is gonna be way too high. Did any one consider a smaller track inbetween like prairie hill or temple? The facilities are no where near as nice and the track prep isn't as good but it would still be the same for everybody. Then the fast guys wouldn't have to worry about cages and tech in and it could be had for a fraction of the cost. Our club looked into renting prairie hill a while back and I seem to remember it was somewhere near 1k.

ThunderBolt
05-05-2009, 09:03 PM
It's definitely worth looking into.

REDBLITZ
05-05-2009, 09:06 PM
I'll call p-hill and temple tomorrow just so we have something to go on and I'll report back.

slick-svt
05-05-2009, 09:12 PM
How much to rent Kennedale......would the 1/8th be more fun....:tex

duckysbht
05-05-2009, 11:21 PM
I dunno if ya'll are down for this, but San Antonio Raceway is pretty centrally located and was pretty cheap to rent out.

tiffo60
05-06-2009, 06:55 AM
I dunno if ya'll are down for this, but San Antonio Raceway is pretty centrally located and was pretty cheap to rent out.

get prices and schedules and let us know:tu:

BC Lightning
05-06-2009, 08:16 AM
I'll call p-hill and temple tomorrow just so we have something to go on and I'll report back.

I was cool having the stands right next to the track and trees around it at Temple, but last time we had the TALON fall classic we had waaaay too many problems with Temple. plus the track has humps going all the way down, nothing like a 11 or 10 sec truck bouncing up and down the track :nono:

BC Lightning
05-06-2009, 08:16 AM

Sounds good to me :tu:

duckysbht
05-06-2009, 08:40 AM
get prices and schedules and let us know:tu:

I'll try and get some information on it

I was cool having the stands right next to the track and trees around it at Temple, but last time we had the TALON fall classic we had waaaay too many problems with Temple. plus the track has humps going all the way down, nothing like a 11 or 10 sec truck bouncing up and down the track :nono:

Yeah I always hated that track. The end of the track comes to quickly, and they have a lake for a water box

REDBLITZ
05-06-2009, 08:49 AM
I was cool having the stands right next to the track and trees around it at Temple, but last time we had the TALON fall classic we had waaaay too many problems with Temple. plus the track has humps going all the way down, nothing like a 11 or 10 sec truck bouncing up and down the track :nono:yeah, I was there. It's under new managment now too. I remember the issues we had with Linda. That evil wench. LOL.

Sandman
05-06-2009, 10:28 AM
There's this place.

http://www.pinevalleyracing.com/

99WhiteBeast
05-06-2009, 04:19 PM
There's this place.

http://www.pinevalleyracing.com/

Is this the same as the Rusk track? If not that's another option.

REDBLITZ
05-06-2009, 04:54 PM
No. Rusk shut down around Christmas. It was Cherokee County Raceway. Same guy owns Pine Valley in Lufkin. It was an awesome track.

Sandman
05-06-2009, 04:59 PM
The people that had rusk and the one north of Shreveport lost both. They now have this track in Dibol.

BC Lightning
05-06-2009, 06:18 PM
If Ennis is out, my next vote is for San Antonio :tu:

REDBLITZ
05-06-2009, 10:37 PM
I concur.

lenard_hester
05-07-2009, 10:51 AM
Too bad Texas isn't in the same financial shape as California. We could probably just rent a section of freeway for cheap.

TXLIGHTNING
05-07-2009, 11:54 AM
No way I would be able to make a San Antonio meet. I work 2 damn much!

tiffo60
05-07-2009, 12:07 PM

if its in October that should be enough lead time to get some time off?

TXLIGHTNING
05-07-2009, 01:17 PM
if its in October that should be enough lead time to get some time off? Normally yes, but I leave for 2 weeks vacation in Nov.

mustgofaster
05-07-2009, 07:37 PM

+1... I'm in the same boat. I'll be using all of my vacation time before Oct.

kirkmears
05-07-2009, 10:10 PM
did that new track open last month east of dallas?

tiffo60
05-08-2009, 08:17 AM
did that new track open last month east of dallas?

I think it did and I heard some one say it was in the neighborhood of $7500 to rent it:eek:

BC Lightning
05-08-2009, 02:16 PM
I think it did and I heard some one say it was in the neighborhood of $7500 to rent it:eek:

This confirmed??

tiffo60
05-08-2009, 03:51 PM
This confirmed??

not by me, just rumor....

Shiner1
05-15-2009, 03:51 PM
If Ennis is out, my next vote is for San Antonio :tu:

Chevy boys gonna cry again if some of us bring trailers???

Aggie Mom
05-15-2009, 04:10 PM
There use to be a track in Paris, TX. It is an 1/8th mile track. Is it still open? I've been to it a few times many, many years ago but couldn't tell you anything about it now.

Paris Drag Strip
4369 U. S. Highway
82 East Paris, TX 75462
903-982-5358 (track)
903-785-0430 (office)
903-785-4434 (fax)

richardekirby
05-16-2009, 06:40 PM
Yeah, I know the owners because I used to bracket raced there few years long ago. I went back there a couple of years ago and it had gone even more downhill and they are not very committed to running it. I took the L there to run a trophy street class and they cancelled because it rained for five minutes earlier in the day. When I pulled up to the gate, it was sunny and not a cloud in the sky the ground was not even wet. They also own a roundy round track and put most of their efforts into that.

I like the format submitted about #1 runs #1, #2 runs #2, ect. As for the track, I'm up for wherever we can find. Has anyone checked with Redline Raceway in Caddo Mills? It's only an 1/8th mile, but we may be limited.

BC Lightning
05-17-2009, 01:41 PM
Anyone check into the new track In Crandall??

San Antonio Raceway??

I would personally rather race at a 1/4mile track

ThunderBolt
05-17-2009, 02:23 PM
What about the guys that run low 11's/high 10's with no cage? There are quite a few of us that will be showing as we don't want to disappoint the bow-ties this time. :D

toddwarren
07-29-2009, 03:39 PM
I hope all of the fast trucks on both side are ready to go this time!!

It seemed last time we had a bunch of trucks back out at the last minute.

Michael are you finally ready to go with the completely reconstructed L???

DamnYankee
08-02-2009, 09:22 AM
Chevy boys gonna cry again if some of us bring trailers???

Nope - don't blame you a bit for trailering it. It sucks to break that far from home.

DamnYankee
08-02-2009, 09:23 AM
Anyone check into the new track In Crandall??

San Antonio Raceway??

I would personally rather race at a 1/4mile track

Last I talked to them, track rental was $7000. It's a beautiful track though.

smbony9
08-02-2009, 05:58 PM
what about the track in sanger or cedar creek there 1/8 th mile real cheap to rent san antionio is like 5 hours away that kind of far to drive what every one supposed to trailer there trucks there

DamnYankee
08-05-2009, 06:56 PM
Too many want to run 1/4. 1/8th is over too quick :)

SS THiS
08-05-2009, 07:55 PM
What about Lone Star Raceway in Sealy?? It's a 1/4 mile track. Tech ain't going to be bad there, also not that bad of a drive from SA!

ThunderBolt
08-05-2009, 08:21 PM
What about Lone Star Raceway in Sealy?? It's a 1/4 mile track. Tech ain't going to be bad there, also not that bad of a drive from SA!

Good idea. Maybe Hennessey will work wit us?

smbony9
08-06-2009, 06:51 PM
what with the sa talk why does everyone want to go down there ennis and crandall are much better tracks

REDBLITZ
09-04-2009, 03:39 PM
Wow. This fizzled alot since I last posted. It's probably going to happen like last time. It was unorganized but it was still fun. Someone just set a time and place and let's do this!knana