PDA

View Full Version : Replacing axle seal

rickgig
06-01-2009, 10:35 AM
Hey guys... I noticed that my passenger side axle seal is leaking, not bad but I think any leak should be considered bad.

I need to pull the axle and replace the seal and I might as well do both sides while I am in there.

Never done this but from what I've read it's not a big deal. My L is a 2001 with lot's of miles (148k). But for some of you that have seen it, it's as clean as can be and you could eat off the enigine.

If anyone has a pointer or two I would apprecaite it. Also, once I put it all back together, do I use the friction modifier from Ford and then top it off with my lube of choice?

Thanks,

rickgig
06-03-2009, 08:36 AM
Come on guys... someone can give me some advice here.

jmlay
06-07-2009, 01:12 PM
Rick,

I have not done this on th L but have done several 9". I can not see where this would be any more difficult. Pull the axle pop th old seal out drive in the new & lube it a bit then insert the axle being careful to not damage the seal.

I just remembered we have "c" clips. You will need to drain the housing to remove the clips before pulling the axle, need to push the axle in so you can remove. I would also replace the bearings at the same time.:

This should help:

http://f150online.com/forums/2004-2008-f-150/290828-how-replace-rear-axle-seals-bearings-your-04-f150-lots-pics.html

Mike

rickgig
06-07-2009, 02:18 PM
Mike:

Killer instructions on the thread and I really appreciate the help. I planned on doing this tomorrow and it couldn't have been better timing.

I owe you one.

Rick

jmlay
06-07-2009, 02:33 PM
Happy I was able to help. :icon_wink:

Mike

rickgig
06-10-2009, 11:43 AM
Easier than I thought it would be.

Got in there and both sides were leaking. The passenger side had coated the e-brake shoes and the caliper for the brake had lube on it too. A few cans of brake cleaner and all is back to normal...

Only trouble I had or feared was the pinion shaft and thinking the spider gears might move on me... they did but it wasn't tough at all to get the pinion shaft back in.

Dang... I feel like a pro! Much easier than pulling the intake off and cleaning the exchanger.

my2002lightning
06-10-2009, 09:15 PM
Good deal, Rick.:tu: