PDA

View Full Version : Questions About Heads?

TxBolt
02-02-2003, 08:17 AM
Well I have decided to build my bottom end , instead of replacing one head. I saw a post about Wells heads, whats up with those? I would like to have heads close to the Mod Max. I talked to Sal awhile back and those heads were around 2200.00. I really want a head with 8 threads for the plugs. Is that possible with larger ports? If yall have ideas please post whata know. J.D. your always ahead of the game on upgrades, let me know.Thanks Folks!:beer:

cpeapea
02-02-2003, 03:35 PM
im curious to know as well

devildog92
02-02-2003, 03:50 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by 380hp
[B]Well I have decided to build my bottom end , instead of replacing one head. I saw a post about Wells heads, whats up with those? I would like to have heads close to the Mod Max. I talked to Sal awhile back and those heads were around 2200.00. I really want a head with 8 threads for the plugs. Is that possible with larger ports? If yall have ideas please post whata know. J.D. your always ahead of the game on upgrades, let me know.Thanks Folks

I know to have fox-lake port the heads its ~900 for a stg II job, and they flow like gangbusters (I understand the PI heads are the same as we have on our L's). I have looked into this a little, and it appears for heads (then might as well do cams) you are looking ~$1500-$1800, with exchange of your current heads. To go to the 4v head, it can be done, but is a PITA. I am looking to add heads and cams, and from 'what I have been told', should be worth 60-90rwhp.

J.D. Blackwell
02-03-2003, 04:43 PM
I have some bad ass heads you may be interested in.
4V heads from a '99 Navigator. I had NEW Ferrea SS valves installed along with a 3 angle valve job. The intake and exhaust ports are port matched and polished to the NEW gaskets I sent with them which will be included. The guides will be the originals (low miles), and it has NEW seals. It will have the stock cams (best for a 4V blown appl.).

Now for the other parts included:
The front cover from a Navigtor
Timing chains
Exhaust manifolds
Valve covers

I believe I will have about $2,650 invested in the whole deal which isn't too bad. If you are interested in them make me a offer.

The only things that you will need that I can think of is new chain tensioners (to be on the safe side) and find someone to make you a custom intake. I think Razors Edge may have one out real soon. Expect to pay $1,500-$2,000 for it.

I was going to put them on my other "BUILT" shortblock that I have setting in my floor;) , but I am buying a house this week. Need some extra cash to float around.

P.S. And no I will not sell my extra "Built" shortblock.:D

TxBolt
02-03-2003, 08:39 PM
This is a quote from JDM .The heads are CNC ported, stainless steel valves, ovate springs, titanium retainers, new lifters, new roller rocker, 3 angle valve job and they have 7 rings of thread. They are $2895.00.

We use Crower cams with our grind. They are $745.00. With the above heads the last 2 trucks gained over 70 RWHP and 110 lbs-ft torque with our grind. With a stock blower no nitrous at 16 lbs it made 508 RWHP & 658 lb-ft torque.

I didn't realize at the time I bought my Lightning that this truck was for rich folks. My wife thinks its a money pit. 2895.00:eek2: J.D I'm a dummy, cause I have no idea what kind of heads your talking about. You can lose me real quick in the machanic field. What is a 3 angle valve job? I can see now a person can have too many choices!:confused:
Tim

devildog92
02-03-2003, 08:58 PM
Sounds good to me, the check to JDM is on the way...

I always have been a fan of 'a little head'

Semper FI.

Crawford
02-03-2003, 09:02 PM
Are those heads gold plated??? :o :rolleyes:

J.D. Blackwell
02-04-2003, 09:48 AM
Those sound expensive, but you get what you pay for and 70rwhp is fricken insane. I would expect to see a gain of at least 6 mph in the 1/4 with those heads. I didn't give that much for my heads, but I don't have as good of parts either. I have reground cams and the billet Crower's are suppose to be the best. I don't think you need valve lash caps which means less problems to worry about. And there is no telling how much money I would give to have 7 threads per spark plug, cause that is just some very nice insurance/investment to have. So when I go to think about it, it is not that bad of a price.

Word of advice to you. Make sure you have 1 person build your motor. Don't let someone do your shortblock and another person do your heads. I learned the hard way. If I were to do it all over again I would have sent my trck to JDM and let him do everything. It would have cost me a little more, BUT I would have been driving my truck a year ago. And I still have to send my truck to JDM after all the bull I have been through so........

Silver_2000
02-04-2003, 10:17 AM
FYI -

There is a little "issue" with Lightning heads and aftermarket valve springs. Make DAMNED sure you get GOOD springs. Tere have been 7 or 8 built motors that have recently been toasted by valve spring failures with very little time on the motor..

Im not sure who the spring vendor was but they have a problem....

Doug

J.D. Blackwell
02-04-2003, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by Silver_2000_;)!
FYI -

There is a little "issue" with Lightning heads and aftermarket valve springs. Make DAMNED sure you get GOOD springs. Tere have been 7 or 8 built motors that have recently been toasted by valve spring failures with very little time on the motor..

Im not sure who the spring vendor was but they have a problem....

Doug

And I am also one of those cases where not only did I get a bad set of springs on the first try, BUT also on the second set too.:mad: I have been through it all boys.

TxBolt
02-04-2003, 07:29 PM
J.D thats why I always ask for your suggestions. If theres a learning experience you've had it!:bows I may have to get those heads, cause I will get tired of spending money on this fuel ****. Thanks for the help J.D. and Doug, we will see how it turns out in a few mounths. If you ever find it hard to get up in the morning for work, do as I tell myself; " I own a Lightning, I must work!":nana2

devildog92
02-04-2003, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by 380hp
J.D thats why I always ask for your suggestions. If theres a learning experience you've had it!:bows I may have to get those heads, cause I will get tired of spending money on this fuel ****. Thanks for the help J.D. and Doug, we will see how it turns out in a few mounths. If you ever find it hard to get up in the morning for work, do as I tell myself; " I own a Lightning, I must work!":nana2

No problem, glad I can help...