PDA

View Full Version : Buying a new Camaro?

98Cobra
07-21-2009, 12:54 PM
Take this handy checklist with you of the 68 most common problems owners have noted so far.

http://consumerist.com/5319502/buying-a-2010-chevy-camaro-take-this-68+point-checklist-with-you

Silver_2000
07-21-2009, 01:16 PM
saw that

hmm now that Im an owner of GM - who Do I call to get the issues fixed ?

The number of complaints about loose items is crazy.
The line workers are making 50 k + - take a few seconds and try to get the part attached correctly ...

L8 APEX
07-21-2009, 02:56 PM
I was born into a Chevy house hold. I have seen numerous quality control issues ever since the late 90's anyway. I am disappointed in GM... Doniie's new Hummer has stupid issues like loose rattling mirrors, windshield gaskets, seat rattles. His new Z06 the fender vents are loose and the rear bumper cover is floppy as thin plastic can get, the battery dies weekly at times... For the 50-83k they charge for these premium vehicles they should have better quality.

Ohmsby
07-21-2009, 03:12 PM
Plus one the Denali has loose shit all over it

Most of which I have tightened or fixed

Hell of a statement for your premier 1/2 ton :tu:A$$clowns

Silver_2000
07-21-2009, 03:22 PM
I see lots of complaints about the rear of the vette being flexible

Its a plastic car - I dont care if it flexes when you push on it - making it not flex would add weight ...

PUMP
07-21-2009, 03:43 PM
My lust for a vette has decreased the more that I have looked at used ones. My 6-year old Lightning with 36k-miles is better than most that I have looked at with similar milage. After getting the L into shape for sale, I have decided that I like it better than any of the used C5 or C6 vettes that I have looked at. I can keep it, add a bunch of bling and still save $10K to $20K. Add to that, that all the young guys looking at the L, didn't want to pay for the performance mods. Story line was "Blue Book value is only.......". They would rather pay $15K to $16K for a bone stock one with double the milage. For most, the first question was, "How many RWHP did you get on the dyno?" No wonder many of the newbies have problems after they buy one on the cheap.

L8 APEX
07-21-2009, 04:50 PM
The only reason I still look at GM's is for some styling and mainly performance. Their LSx engine lineup kicks ass on power and efficiency. Thier SUV's and half ton trucks have 30% more balls than Ford does. Ford does build a solid quiet truck though. Even after 100k miles of hard towing and off road driving my F250 still rides tight and quiet and the doors don't sag on the hinges. My brother's 01 Silverado with half the miles has steering column thump, various door and dash squeaks, frame flex etc..

HARLEY/SC
07-21-2009, 04:53 PM
Same with my bro-inlaws comaro 00 his back set sounds like a damn rattle snake. plus other things that have gone bad on that car. Glad i stuck with fords

Moonshine
07-22-2009, 10:58 AM
Well now, hold on for just a second there fellas.

When I was looking at a 3/4 ton pickup I looked at Chevys, and I too passed on them because they just didn't seem to be screwed together well enough to last.

And I picked up a new Dodge this past weekend and didn't even make it home before finding issues that will require multiple return visits to the dealership to fix. Side rant, this vehicle had the poorest make ready I've ever seen on a new vehicle.

But, before we go singing the praises of how great Ford is perhaps we should refresh our memories a tad. Anyone else recall leaky intercoolers? Or how about self removing spark plugs, leading to destruction of an expensive aluminum head. Both were common issues on a "premium vehicle". And let's not leave out the SuperDuty's. How about stretchy head bolts that again lead to head destruction. Puking coolant. Ford suing Navistar because the 6.0 PowerStroke was such a disappointment.

And the Japanese manufacturers don't seem to be immune, either. Overall, I'd describe Totota as the Glock of the automotive world. Not particularly flashy or exciting, but utilitarian, and generally very, very functional. But, I haven't forgotten the accidentally folding tailgates on the new Tundras.

Not trying to start a war here. Just pointing out that most vehicle manufacturers seem to have some QC issues, particularly on newly introduced models. And this despite the fact that QC is worlds ahead of where it was 20 or 30 years ago. My $.02, YMMV.

toddwarren
07-22-2009, 11:47 AM
I know this may sound stupid, but I think buying a classic car that has been completely restored and driving it makes alot of sense.
You get a unique vehicle that depreciates slowly or not at all!
You may lack the current safety features, but our parents and us older people survived without them somehow.
I watch these car auctions and you can get some awesome cars for alot less than you can buy a new Camaro or Mustang.

Silver_2000
07-22-2009, 12:24 PM
Well now, hold on for just a second there fellas.

When I was looking at a 3/4 ton pickup I looked at Chevys, and I too passed on them because they just didn't seem to be screwed together well enough to last.

And I picked up a new Dodge this past weekend and didn't even make it home before finding issues that will require multiple return visits to the dealership to fix. Side rant, this vehicle had the poorest make ready I've ever seen on a new vehicle.

But, before we go singing the praises of how great Ford is perhaps we should refresh our memories a tad. Anyone else recall leaky intercoolers? Or how about self removing spark plugs, leading to destruction of an expensive aluminum head. Both were common issues on a "premium vehicle". And let's not leave out the SuperDuty's. How about stretchy head bolts that again lead to head destruction. Puking coolant. Ford suing Navistar because the 6.0 PowerStroke was such a disappointment.

And the Japanese manufacturers don't seem to be immune, either. Overall, I'd describe Totota as the Glock of the automotive world. Not particularly flashy or exciting, but utilitarian, and generally very, very functional. But, I haven't forgotten the accidentally folding tailgates on the new Tundras.

Not trying to start a war here. Just pointing out that most vehicle manufacturers seem to have some QC issues, particularly on newly introduced models. And this despite the fact that QC is worlds ahead of where it was 20 or 30 years ago. My $.02, YMMV.

BUT which of the manufacturers have been bailed out to what level ?

Its about Irony

No one is surprised when a new flagship car from GM is known for 70 loose or poorly installed pieces.

It wouldnt make as big an impression if not for the bailout.

AND in my opinion there is a BIG difference between the design problems that ford had with the intercoolers and the heads and the install quality issues that GM is purported to have with the Camaro. Is GM going to recall any of the poor fit issues the way Ford did for the Intercooler ?

Moonshine
07-22-2009, 12:37 PM
BUT which of the manufacturers have been bailed out to what level ?

Its about Irony

No one is surprised when a new flagship car from GM is known for 70 loose or poorly installed pieces.

It wouldnt make as big an impression if not for the bailout.

AND in my opinion there is a BIG difference between the design problems that ford had with the intercoolers and the heads and the install quality issues that GM is purported to have with the Camaro. Is GM going to recall any of the poor fit issues the way Ford did for the Intercooler ?

Although I agree with your sentiment, way to little time has passed between bailout and GM QC issues to argue a relationship between the two. They're seprate issues.

Although Ford did a recall for the IC (+/-7500 units) they never issued a recall for the much more widespread Triton spark plug issue (+/-5,000,000 units). Which is worse, a multitude of plastic pieces that rattle or fall off on a daily basis, or a motor that destroys the top end every 50k miles? For my money, neither is acceptable.

Silver_2000
07-22-2009, 01:06 PM
Although I agree with your sentiment, way to little time has passed between bailout and GM QC issues to argue a relationship between the two. They're seprate issues.

Although Ford did a recall for the IC (+/-7500 units) they never issued a recall for the much more widespread Triton spark plug issue (+/-5,000,000 units). Which is worse, a multitude of plastic pieces that rattle or fall off on a daily basis, or a motor that destroys the top end every 50k miles? For my money, neither is acceptable.
The rattles are visible to everyone instantly. And would have an impact on the users perception.

My point was these kinds of issues may have contributed to the problems that led to the bailout.

And even if GM and ford BOTH were equally crappy - maybe they are.

Ford still gets BIG points in my book for being successfully crappy - so far and not demanding my $$ to help subsidize the crap

Moonshine
07-22-2009, 02:42 PM
The rattles are visible to everyone instantly. And would have an impact on the users perception.

My point was these kinds of issues may have contributed to the problems that led to the bailout.

And even if GM and ford BOTH were equally crappy - maybe they are.

Ford still gets BIG points in my book for being successfully crappy - so far and not demanding my $$ to help subsidize the crap

I can agree with all of that, particularly the last part. :tu:

ThunderBolt
07-22-2009, 05:49 PM
So much for quality inspection.

L8 APEX
07-23-2009, 08:22 AM
The spark plug deal was a bad deal for Ford buyers. They should have backed the problem with a better warranty. GM just has lackluster loose plastic interiors. Ford seems to have a better interior and initial build quality. Toyota had the bad camshaft issue but just like Ford's intercooler those are vendor supplied parts and not so much under the factory's direct control. Garrett makes the intercoolers for Ford. Most people assume Garrett knows what they are doing...

Why would you even spit on a Dodge...

tiffo60
07-23-2009, 09:15 AM
The spark plug deal was a bad deal for Ford buyers. They should have backed the problem with a better warranty. GM just has lackluster loose plastic interiors. Ford seems to have a better interior and initial build quality. Toyota had the bad camshaft issue but just like Ford's intercooler those are vendor supplied parts and not so much under the factory's direct control. Garrett makes the intercoolers for Ford. Most people assume Garrett knows what they are doing...

Why would you even spit on a Dodge...

The only thing Dodge had going for it was the Cummins, it has dominated the other diesels since day one:bows:bows

but the truck falls apart around it....

99WhiteBeast
07-23-2009, 04:48 PM
I recently crossed over to the 'dark side' for a family sedan with teeth and couldn't be happier- then again it was assembled down under.

L8 APEX
07-23-2009, 04:56 PM
What is it SteveO?

99WhiteBeast
07-23-2009, 05:01 PM
what is it steveo?

g8 gt

L8 APEX
07-23-2009, 05:03 PM
Scared knowing Pontiac is gone? What do you think of it...

98Cobra
07-23-2009, 06:05 PM
Ford definately has had its share of problems. I think the deal here is you have a car that has been teased for 2 years, its a halo car, everyone is watching, and you have issues with not painting it completely? Stuff falling off? Even without a government bailout, everyone at GM has known the Camaro was a super important launch - to F up this badly - if I were a conspiracy theorist I would say they want it to fail.

SteveO - I like the look of the G8. I saw a GXP by my office this week. If I hadn't had such a dismal experience with my '06 GTO, I would consider one...hope they are screwed together better now than mine was. :)

99WhiteBeast
07-23-2009, 06:17 PM
Scared knowing Pontiac is gone? What do you think of it...

Not really-drivetrain parts are Chevy and they are still are producing the Holdens which are all direct bolt on parts. I'm sure the Pontiac parts bins are full at this point.

I've been very impressed- lot of car for the money. Picked it up for shade under 26k with GM pricing and rebates. It has a European feel- interior and looks but the raw V8 power.

dboat
07-23-2009, 09:24 PM
Not really-drivetrain parts are Chevy and they are still are producing the Holdens which are all direct bolt on parts. I'm sure the Pontiac parts bins are full at this point.

I've been very impressed- lot of car for the money. Picked it up for shade under 26k with GM pricing and rebates. It has a European feel- interior and looks but the raw V8 power.

I really like those cars.. hold on to it.. it will be a collector car...

Dana