PDA

View Full Version : pop goes the plug, stock block 2000, no chip.

thepawn
02-02-2003, 02:57 PM
On my way down the GSP South today to head to the JDM swap meet (and coincidentally, have them take a quick look at my "exhaust leak"), about 4mi from my house, I go to pass someone and POP, steam engine.

There went the #4 passenger side spark plug... No clue where it is, must be lying on the GSP somewhere... I still have the coil pack and boot, but the sparkplug is MIA.

Things of note:
* I have/had stock plugs.
* I have no chip.
* Only mods: open air filter, headers, exhaust.
* Miles on truck: 43000 , year 2000 model.

*sigh* If it could have only waited another 45 minutes, I would have been at JDM's.

Oh well. ESP time on Monday.

Daniel

PS
Guess it was a good thing I hadn't "gotten around" to installing all those other mods yet.

thepawn
02-02-2003, 04:28 PM
http://www.atlantis.edu/~thepawn/f150/20030202-blownplug/800_broken_coilpack.jpg
http://www.atlantis.edu/~thepawn/f150/20030202-blownplug/800_head1.jpg

I don't know how you guys even work on these plugs, this was my attempt to put an NGK in just to fill the hole, I almost couldn't get it back.

http://www.atlantis.edu/~thepawn/f150/20030202-blownplug/800_tried_new_plug.jpg

Sixpipes
02-02-2003, 06:19 PM
Daniel,

How long since you changed plugs? Do you have an extended warranty and if so, do you have a decent relationship with a Ford dealer anywhere? I guess folks have always assumed that the plug is related to mods, but I personally don't think so. Let us know how it goes. :cool:

wesman
02-02-2003, 06:41 PM
Sorry to hear.....it's a shame to welcome you to our growing club :(

--wes

StormShadow
02-02-2003, 07:50 PM
that pic in his sig looks like andy caine's pic

thepawn
02-02-2003, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by dod racing
that pic in his sig looks like andy caine's pic

It was, it was the only avatar in the avatar list, lol. :) Got it fixed now tho.

I'm a little mad at myself. I knew there was something wrong, I have had the exhaust leak noise for a little bit now, and if I had just gotten the plugs checker sooner, I would have saved myself the heartache.

The annoying fact is that it loosened by itself... I have not had any work done that ever required the plugs to come out so far, and since my last experience with plugs was bad, I've stayed away from them. (I was going to get them changed with my mom upgrades this winter)...

Guess they'll be getting changed sooner. I don't have the tools to try to tighten the replacement plug (the extenders, etc). I couldn't even see the plug when I dropped it in the hole, heh. I'm going to talk to my personal mechanic first tomorrow, see if he wants to take a crack at it, checking it out, if it needs a new head. Then I'll talk to the dealer.

I'm just disppointed in myself for not getting the leak sound looked at earlier, I could have avoided this.

Daniel

thepawn
02-02-2003, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by Sixpipes
Daniel,

How long since you changed plugs? Do you have an extended warranty and if so, do you have a decent relationship with a Ford dealer anywhere? I guess folks have always assumed that the plug is related to mods, but I personally don't think so. Let us know how it goes. :cool:

I hadn't changed them yet, it was going to take place with the mods I was installing in the next couple weeks. I do have ESP, but not special relationship with my dealer... I do have a friend at a Jag dealer, I'm going to talk to him first.

The plug loosened up all on its own, and then its also my blame for not getting it checked sooner, I have had the exhaust leak noise for a bit and was just making arragements to get it checked on my next oil change.

Daniel