PDA

View Full Version : Different Kind of Get Together

dboat
07-29-2009, 07:31 PM
I had the opportunity to fly again recently.. I do my usual obligatory walk through the magazine store at the terminal to see whats in print.. I pick up the most recent Texas Monthly because its lead article caught my eye.

The best 50 hamburgers in the State of Texas.. hmmmm, this could be good.. Well, it was a well written article and these guys tested hundreds of hamburgers.. So it has me thinking, Talon guys like burgers, how about we have a few gtg's at the places in N Tx that are on the list? This would not replace the monthly meeting but be offcycle for those that would like to get together to see if these burgers are really that good... and :bs a little too.

So what do you think? anyone up for a few roadtrips to grab a burger with Talon guys over the next few weeks?

I will post up a poll (one of my favorite activities) to gauge interest.. so vote and post up your thoughts..

Oh, and nope, Whataburger didnt make it but they had their history in the article.. pretty interesting.

Dana

Beaudee
07-30-2009, 08:06 AM
Judge Beans makes a great Burger.If you eat the Texan in 1 hour:vomit: (the bun will kill U) its free.They make a nice T-Bone 2.Whats that place that makes the bad ass cheese frys???

Shiner1
07-30-2009, 11:45 AM
Sounds like fun..:icon_mrgreen:

1stlightning
07-30-2009, 01:03 PM
I might be able to make one.
Twisted Root Burger in Dallas was on the Diners, Drive ins, and Dives and I have been wanting to check that place out since I seen the show.

steinjr
07-30-2009, 08:33 PM
Interesting idea!

dboat
08-02-2009, 02:22 PM
I might be able to make one.
Twisted Root Burger in Dallas was on the Diners, Drive ins, and Dives and I have been wanting to check that place out since I seen the show.

+1, saw the show last night and looks like a great place to go..

Here are the places in N Tx to go to..

1) The Grape (the classic cheeseburger0 - note only at Sunday Brunch
6) The Porch (The Stodg)
8) Dutch's (Bacon and Bleu Cheese Burger)
15)Twisted Root Burger (Hamburger)
17) Love Shack (Dirty Love Burger)
20) Kelly's Eastside (Southwestern Burger)
32) Cliff Cafe (Brie and Granny Smith Burger0
46) Snuffers (Green Chile Swissburger)
47) Fred's Texas Cafe (Diable Burger)
50) Jakes (#1 Jakes Special)

Here are the ones in N Tx.. yes, Wichita Falls had one but I am thinking that its a bit out of the way for us Dallas boys.. all of the rest of these are Dallas or Ft Worth addresses, one in Plan Zero (Plano to those that live there)...

Dana

Austin was over-represented.. Houston had its fair share.. interesting, but there were a handful in very rural locations.. none that near Dallas/Ft Worth though..

99WhiteBeast
08-02-2009, 02:40 PM
Did Kincaids make the list?

What about the Big Kuhuna Burger....mmm that's a tasty burger... The cornerstone of any nutritious breakfast:icon_mrgreen:

dboat
08-02-2009, 03:04 PM
Did Kincaids make the list?

What about the Big Kuhuna Burger....mmm that's a tasty burger... The cornerstone of any nutritious breakfast:icon_mrgreen:

I listed the ones in Dallas, if Kincaids is in other town, let me know and I will look it up..

but that Big Kahuna Burger can be dangerous to your health.. :evil

Dana

Shiner1
08-02-2009, 03:22 PM
That's that Hi-wan-yan joint right?

gbgary
08-03-2009, 07:52 PM
cool idea!

gagspa
08-04-2009, 10:10 AM
Any idea where I can get a copy of the list? I have two weeks of summer left and have been riding the bike around during the day looking for good places to eat.

dboat
08-04-2009, 10:39 PM
Any idea where I can get a copy of the list? I have two weeks of summer left and have been riding the bike around during the day looking for good places to eat.

most places with a magazine rack.. Texas Monthly with a picture of a burger on the front of it.. yuuummmmmy..

Dana

gagspa
08-04-2009, 11:05 PM
most places with a magazine rack.. Texas Monthly with a picture of a burger on the front of it.. yuuummmmmy..

Dana
:0fftopic
Sorry to get off topic, Dana, but for those that are interested in the list, here it is:
1. The Grape, Dallas, Classic Cheeseburger
2. Counter Café, Austin, Counter Burger
3. Alamo Springs Café, Fredericksburg, Cheeseburger (With Green Chiles on a Jalapeno-Cheese Bun)
4. Toro Burger Bar, El Paso, Toro Burger
5. The Cove, San Antonio, Texas Burger
6. The Porch, Dallas, The Stodg
7. Perini Ranch Steakhouse, Buffalo Gap, Hamburger Steak on a Bun
8. Dutch’s, Fort Worth, Bacon and Bleu Cheese Burger
9. Beck’s Prime, Houston, Bacon Cheeseburger
10. Orlando’s, Lubbock, Cheeseburger in Paradise
11. White Buffalo Bar, Gage Hotel, Marathon, Buffalo Burger
12. Cover 3, Austin, Chop-House Burger (With Cheese and Bacon)
13. Burger Fresh, Conroe, 1/2 Pound Hamburger
14. Burger Tex II, Austin, Bulgogi Burger
15. Twisted Root Burger Co., Dallas, Hamburger
16. Max’s Wine Dive, Austin, Houston, Kobe Beef Burger
17. Love Shack, Fort Worth, Dirty Love Burger
18. Fatty’s Burgers & More, San Antonio, Ref Burger
19. MoMak’s Backyard Malts & Burgers, San Antonio, MoMak Classic Burger
20. Kelly’s Eastside, Plano, Southwestern Burger
21. Big’z Burger Joint, San Antonio, Big’z Famous No. 1
22. Chicken Oil Co., Bryan, Snuffy Burger
23. Café Michael Burger, Galveston, Tiki Burger
24. Burgers, Fries and Cherry Pies, Midland, The French Connection Burger
25. Mockingbird Bistro, Houston, American Kobe Beef Burger
26. Parkside, Austin, Cheeseburger
27. Black Sheep Lodge, Austin, Black Buffalo Burger
28. Miss Hattie’s Café and Saloon, San Angelo, Miss Hattie Burger
29. Mel’s Country Café, Tomball, Double Hamburger
30. Roaring Fork, Austin, Half Ass Burger
31. Gene’s Tasty Burger, Wichita Falls, Frisco Burger
32. Cliff Café, Dallas, Brie and Granny Smith Burger
33. Bracken Store Café, San Antonio, Bean and Frito Burger
34. Sam’s Deli Diner, Houston, Hamburger
35. Dry Creek Café, Houston, The Regular (With Asadero Cheese)
36. Hamburger Store, Jefferson, Build-Your-Own Burger
37. Mighty Fine, Austin, Hamburger
38. Roadhouse, Bastrop, Jalapeno Cream Cheese Burger
39. Lankford Grocery and Market, Houston, Old-Fashioned Hamburger
40. Classics Burgers and “Moore,” Kerrville, Cheeseburger
41. Koffee Kup Family Restaurant, Hico, Jalapeno Cream Cheese Burger
42. Hruska’s Store and Bakery, Ellinger, Cheeseburger
43. Rosco’s Burger Inn, El Paso, Rosco Burger
44. Port Aransas Brewing Company, Port Aransas, Stopher Burger
45. Goode Company Hamburgers and Taqueria, Houston, Mesquite Burger
46. Snuffer’s Restaurant and Bar, Dallas, Green Chile Swissburger
47. Fred’s Texas Café, Fort Worth, Diablo Burger
48. Speedy’s Burger, Houston, Hamburguesa Mexicana
49. Gourmet Burger Grill, San Antonio, Hamburger
50. Jakes, Dallas, #1 Jakes Special

dboat
08-05-2009, 06:42 AM
not off topic at all.. thanks for typing the entire list.. I only did those in N Tx.. but if you are traveling around, it would make for a good place to stop and try a burger some place new and most likely, the burger would be good too.

Dana

gagspa
08-05-2009, 03:04 PM
47) Fred's Texas Cafe (Diablo Burger)
So I rode the bike to Fred's for lunch today. I went ahead and ordered the Texas Monthly burger (Diablo Burger). The burger was juicy and spicy. The spiciness was just about perfect without being too hot. Overall the burger was a really good burger, I'm just not sure if I would call it a Top 50 in Texas.

On a side note, I ordered the Diablo Burger which came with fries and I ordered a Coke. My bill was $16 after tip. Not a cheap burger.

I'll try and hit up a few more in the next week and a half.

Edit: Also, this is a horrible spot for a Talon meet as they only have booths for 4 people.

dboat
08-05-2009, 06:45 PM
So I rode the bike to Fred's for lunch today. I went ahead and ordered the Texas Monthly burger (Diablo Burger). The burger was juicy and spicy. The spiciness was just about perfect without being too hot. Overall the burger was a really good burger, I'm just not sure if I would call it a Top 50 in Texas.

On a side note, I ordered the Diablo Burger which came with fries and I ordered a Coke. My bill was $16 after tip. Not a cheap burger.

I'll try and hit up a few more in the next week and a half.

Well, it was number 47... but good to know it was a good one.. I am somewhat curious about #1.. only served at Sunday brunch.. hmmm

Dana

gagspa
08-06-2009, 03:13 PM
8) Dutch's (Bacon and Bleu Cheese Burger)
I rode the bike of to Ft. Worth to try this one out today. The burger was really good, although not as juicy as yesterday's. The bun, however, was awesome! They obviously make them in house. The bill was also much more reasonable at $10.12 for the Bacon & Bleu Cheese Burger, fries, and a drink. The place is small, but if we planned it right there is enough seating for a large group. The only problem would be parking as it is all meters. Someone local may know of a good place to park nearby.

dboat
08-06-2009, 10:01 PM
I rode the bike of to Ft. Worth to try this one out today. The burger was really good, although not as juicy as yesterday's. The bun, however, was awesome! They obviously make them in house. The bill was also much more reasonable at $10.12 for the Bacon & Bleu Cheese Burger, fries, and a drink. The place is small, but if we planned it right there is enough seating for a large group. The only problem would be parking as it is all meters. Someone local may know of a good place to park nearby.

I'm in, parking meters or not..

Dana

gagspa
08-07-2009, 02:58 PM
17. Love Shack, Fort Worth, Dirty Love Burger
The Love Shack was today's restaurant of choice and I ordered the Dirty Love Burger Combo $9. Of the three that I have been to, this one ranks last in my book. The restaurant is outdoor (air conditioning in August after riding the motorcycle is a must). If you don't order beer your beverage choices are lemonade, root beer, or iced tea. No refills. The fries were about halfway in between fries and potato chips. The burger, on the other hand, was very good. Nice and charred on the outside with crispy bacon and fried quail egg. The burger was very small though.

This might have been a much better place in October as it is down at the stockyards and has great scenery. Parking sucks unless you want to park in the stockyard parking. We parked the bikes illegally :D
http://www.talonclub.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=3128&d=1249675044

dboat
08-07-2009, 06:47 PM
I'd still like to give it a try.. the burger sounds like a Fatburger out in Lost Wages.. not sure you have been there.. but I digress.. I just wont get the fries.. root beer is good for me.. or tea.. I am not one to drink a beer and drive a bike. one beer and the truck or car is fine though..

nice report.

Dana

The Love Shack was today's restaurant of choice and I ordered the Dirty Love Burger Combo $9. Of the three that I have been to, this one ranks last in my book. The restaurant is outdoor (air conditioning in August after riding the motorcycle is a must). If you don't order beer your beverage choices are lemonade, root beer, or iced tea. No refills. The fries were about halfway in between fries and potato chips. The burger, on the other hand, was very good. Nice and charred on the outside with crispy bacon and fried quail egg. The burger was very small though.

This might have been a much better place in October as it is down at the stockyards and has great scenery. Parking sucks unless you want to park in the stockyard parking. We parked the bikes illegally :D
http://www.talonclub.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=3128&d=1249675044

03LightningRocks
08-12-2009, 10:52 PM
gagspa, could it be considered dangerous to eat burgers multiple days in a row??? From your description of the burgers, I would suggest you might consider a prescription for Lipitor.

I may start checking for your burger reviews on a daily basis. You know what would be cool? Have someone take a picture of you now...and then take a picture after a couple weeks of the top 50 burger tasting. It would be interesting to see how much weight you gain. :D

Shiner1
08-13-2009, 10:08 AM
Thanks for taking one for the team Dee. All these burgers sound great. It would be hard to have only one beer though. LOL I'll just double up on my Lipitor. Hell, If one works, two must be better right??

dboat
08-13-2009, 05:29 PM
Thanks for taking one for the team Dee. All these burgers sound great. It would be hard to have only one beer though. LOL I'll just double up on my Lipitor. Hell, If one works, two must be better right??
Oh heck yeah.... :tu:

Dana

gagspa
08-13-2009, 09:06 PM
On Sunday, I rode to Glen Rose to eat at Loco Coyote, which didn't even make the list. The burger was one of the best ones I have eaten and it was huge. As a matter of fact, they gave me a free T-shirt for eating it all! The fact that it didn't make the list shows that the list isn't great.

I've been busy for most of this week so no new updates. I tried to talk my brother into riding to Hico yesterday on our way to Hillsboro, but he wasn't going for it. Maybe I can talk the wife into Twisted Root tomorrow!

School starts next week so my reviews may be done. :icon_frown:

For me this is just a reason to get out and ride the bike. It gives me a different destination with good food at the end :D

Shiner1
08-14-2009, 10:33 AM
On Sunday, I rode to Glen Rose to eat at Loco Coyote, which didn't even make the list. The burger was one of the best ones I have eaten and it was huge. As a matter of fact, they gave me a free T-shirt for eating it all! The fact that it didn't make the list shows that the list isn't great.

I've been busy for most of this week so no new updates. I tried to talk my brother into riding to Hico yesterday on our way to Hillsboro, but he wasn't going for it. Maybe I can talk the wife into Twisted Root tomorrow!

For me this is just a reason to get out and ride the bike. It gives me a different destination with good food at the end :D

That's awsome Dee. We (Talon) need to do this......Lightning road trip!!!

dboat
08-14-2009, 06:29 PM
That's awsome Dee. We (Talon) need to do this......Lightning road trip!!!

see the first post in this thread... lets do it..

Dana

ZeusSVT
08-16-2009, 01:09 AM

This is my old hometown. Born, raised and graduated from Glen Rose. It's a 100 mile road trip for me from McKinney, when I go visit family, and Loco Coyote is definitely one of those little hidden gems out there in the country. :tu:

99WhiteBeast
01-24-2010, 11:49 PM
I hit Jakes (#50) on the list in Downtown Fort Worth Saturday night. The burger was good but not special. The sweet potato fires though were awesome.

The wifey was reading Southern Living and they had a write up for the 'dirty love' burger at the Love Shack (#17). We decided to try it for Sunday lunch. They now have a second location on west 7th but we headed to the Stockyards location.

We ordered 2 'dirty love' burgers and the Parmesan homemade chips. I must say this was one of the tastiest burgers I have eaten. The fresh ground sirloin with the quail egg and cheese was delicious. We got out just under $20 for two burgers, chips and two teas.

I have to try some others on the list but the Love Shack is my new favorite.

BC Lightning
01-25-2010, 09:23 AM
6) The Porch (The Stodg)

I had a burger at the Porch on Friday, best I've had in a long time, the mac-n-cheese is amazing!!! you could make a meal out of that!!!

Sandman
01-25-2010, 10:32 AM
This one isn't on the list. But for anybody who enjoys a real burger, try Kenny's Burger Joint (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=kenny's+burger+joint&sll=33.150674,-96.823612&sspn=0.239151,0.42778&g=frisco,+tx&ie=UTF8&hq=kenny's+burger+joint&hnear=Frisco,+TX&ll=33.163421,-96.823883&spn=0.239117,0.42778&z=11&iwloc=A) in Frisco.

Shiner1
01-25-2010, 12:25 PM
Speaking of Frisco. I had a burger at The 3rd base yesterday. It was very good and the talent was pretty good as well. Wednesday night is lingerie night......just FYI.

99WhiteBeast
01-25-2010, 02:20 PM
Speaking of Frisco. I had a burger at The 3rd base yesterday. It was very good and the talent was pretty good as well. Wednesday night is lingerie night......just FYI.

Speaking of talent- There is a new variation of the common sports bar theme in Grapevine. The 'Tilted Kilt'. I think a see a burger in there somewhere- I may need a closer look

Shiner1
01-25-2010, 04:03 PM
Yummy!! Those two dishes look pretty good.....Wait!! What were we talking about again??? Hamburgers?? Oh thats right. There are burgers in that picture??:rll:

gagspa
01-25-2010, 04:49 PM
41. Koffee Kup Family Restaurant, Hico, Jalapeno Cream Cheese Burger
I forgot to mention that I went to the Koffee Kup last November on a ride to south Texas. I did order the Jalepeno Cream Cheese Burger. It was a very good burger, but nothing spectacular. The homemade bun fell apart and made a big mess, especially since they use a LOT of cream cheese. I don't remember what the bill was, but it was reasonable. I guess I need to get out and try more of the Dallas burgers.

Shiner1
01-25-2010, 04:53 PM
I forgot to mention that I went to the Koffee Kup last November on a ride to south Texas. I did order the Jalepeno Cream Cheese Burger. It was a very good burger, but nothing spectacular. The homemade bun fell apart and made a big mess, especially since they use a LOT of cream cheese. I don't remember what the bill was, but it was reasonable. I guess I need to get out and try more of the Dallas burgers.

I hate it when the bun falls apart..:mad:

PUMP
01-25-2010, 05:30 PM
Yummy!! Those two dishes look pretty good.....Wait!! What were we talking about again??? Hamburgers?? Oh thats right. There are burgers in that picture??:rll:I Think I also see some buns:evil

dboat
01-25-2010, 08:16 PM
a non monthly meet at one of these places? Knowing us, we probably wont get a huge turnout, but its always good to get together in my book.

Dana

gagspa
01-31-2011, 09:46 AM
15. Twisted Root Burger Co., Dallas, Hamburger

I tried this one out over the Christmas break. I have to say that it was the best burger of all of them....so far. The meat was fantastic and the place is interesting as well. I was concerned that a plain hamburger might be too simple, but it was great. I will definitely order the plain burger next time as well.

It is a little pricey, but not any more than the other ones.

1stlightning
01-31-2011, 07:47 PM
I tried this one out over the Christmas break. I have to say that it was the best burger of all of them....so far. The meat was fantastic and the place is interesting as well. I was concerned that a plain hamburger might be too simple, but it was great. I will definitely order the plain burger next time as well.

It is a little pricey, but not any more than the other ones.

Unfortunately I have to disagree on this one. I have been dying to try this place. Went to the one in Roanoke, they make all burgers well done. If you like your burger that way, it would be for you. Me, I like a rare, greasy burger. I think it all depends on how you like the burger cooked.

gagspa
02-02-2011, 12:39 PM
Unfortunately I have to disagree on this one. I have been dying to try this place. Went to the one in Roanoke, they make all burgers well done. If you like your burger that way, it would be for you. Me, I like a rare, greasy burger. I think it all depends on how you like the burger cooked.
That is possible. I've been making sure that I went to the location that was listed in the article just in case there are those differences between sites. My burger at the Dallas location was medium.

tucamote
02-02-2011, 02:21 PM
sounds good.