PDA

View Full Version : Any local Lightning owners running E-85?

Credit2NV
08-09-2009, 01:53 AM
If so what did you have to do to run e-85? what kind of timing are you running? how much boost? what kind of IT Temps?

thanks

dboat
08-09-2009, 06:49 AM
If so what did you have to do to run e-85? what kind of timing are you running? how much boost? what kind of IT Temps?

thanks

I havent seen it at the pump anywhere.. they still making this stuff? personally, I wouldnt run it in mine.. the gas companies are always sticking about 10% in there though and it kills what little gas mileage we get.. it will be interesting to know if anyone is using this stuff..

Dana

PUMP
08-09-2009, 08:46 AM
I run nothing but 93-octane. Even the %10 alcohol that producers mix in during the summer plays havoc with the fuel pumps.

L8 APEX
08-09-2009, 11:23 AM
Our trucks are not certified to run E85, doing so can destroy your fuel system and possibly cause an explosion.

E85 trucks have special fuel pumps and lines desgined to stand up to high concentrations of alcohol. alcohol also is conductive to electricity where gas is not.

Not to mention you lose several HP and MPG goes to shit.

Ohmsby
08-09-2009, 07:07 PM
Brought to you by your government who is only out to save you........:rolleyes:

Credit2NV
08-10-2009, 02:04 AM
http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/hrdp_0801_e85_ethanol_alternative_fuel/e85_octane_rate.html

PUMP
08-10-2009, 09:47 AM
Nothing new to me there. Already running copper TR6 plugs. Can not get significantly cooler plugs. Preignition is what usually causes the engine to go BANG. The article did not even mention the negative effects of alcohol on the fuel system. IMO E85 and Lightning does not mix.

Silver_2000
08-10-2009, 11:33 AM
the article refers mostly to carb cars

it does say that ethanol attacks various fuel system parts including bare aluminum which I was surprised by. I could see it attacking gaskets like cork and plastics BUT aluminum ? Like fuel rails or lines ? Wow

Credit2NV
08-10-2009, 01:44 PM
Krogers sells the e-85..
and I have 2 friends now running e-85 on 04' cobra's and they are making more power..better IT's...can no issues...they did run a bigger fuel system.

Shiner1
08-10-2009, 02:06 PM
Gas cap on my new taurus has the big,red circle with the line through it that says No E85.

Credit2NV
08-10-2009, 02:19 PM
well I know with my cobra friends.....they have upgraded there fuel systems..and are having no issues. and at kroger its 1.99 a galon...for e-85..and its like running 105 octane in the tank....one of my friends...said he has been getting better results then c16...i was like wow...realy.

He also said he pulled the motor apart after running it for 6+months and the motor looks brand new...

L8 APEX
08-10-2009, 04:28 PM
http://www.fueltestkit.com/understanding_fuel_alcohol_percent.html

http://e85vehicles.com/converting-e85.htm

It is not just a larger fuel pump etc. you are supposed to have special insulated explosion proof pumps and wiring since alcohol conducts electricity. You are supposed to replace the lines with teflon lined hoses to withstand the harsh effects of alcohol.

Of course street racers in Mustangs know way more than any engineers ever would:rolleyes:

If you look here you can see the BTU averaged cost of E85. Even though it is cheaper per gallon it still costs more to run than regular gas.
http://www.fuelgaugereport.com/

PUMP
08-10-2009, 11:00 PM
I have oft been accused of "Telling one how a watch is built" when asked the time of day. In this case that accusation is justified, but here goes anyway.

Aluminum is a highly conductive metal that relies on an oxide layer for its corrosion protection properties. Low levels of ethanol, such as E10 (10%), are usually not a problem (below the boiling point or about 174-deg F) with aluminum surfaces because the oxide layer provides a good measure of protection. The problem occurs when the ethanol content is increased.

There are two mechanisms that occur with ethanol. Both mechanisms are a result of the hydroscopic property of ethanol, meaning it absorbs water. The more ethanol in the fuel, the more water there will be in the fuel. Water not only causes the aluminum to corrode, it also causes the corrosion particles to clog fuel filters, fuel systems, and damage engine components. The corrosion rate can be accelerated under a number of conditions if other contaminating metals are present such as copper which may be picked up from brass fittings or as a low level contaminant in the aluminum alloy.

The second mechanism that can occurs with the increased use of ethanol based fuel in contact with aluminum is galvanic corrosion. Gasoline fuel is not conductive, but the presence of ethanol or ethanol and water it will conduct electricity causing galvanic corrosion between dissimilar metals.

Above the boiling point, additional negative impacts can occur, but i will leave that for another day.

Credit2NV
08-11-2009, 01:06 AM
wow very interesting..