PDA

View Full Version : while reading the E85 thread...

ADale13
08-11-2009, 06:28 PM
i remembered a friend of mine who safely ran 87 octane all the time while never getting into it, as the truck was his daily. His truck was not as modified as mine, maybe intake, exhaust...

i have a 4lb lower, intake, and exhaust and im not 100% sure of the tune but i was curious if running 87 (since its .30$+ cheaper a gallon) was a bad idea completely with modified motors or if it can be done, as long as there is no hard accels.

lastly, would it be safer, or just stupid to run 89 than the 87? closer to my normal octane rating (sticking to 93 per the gauge cluster's request)?

i think about this every time i get gas, how much i could save just by throwing in a tank of 87 instead of 93 just for tootling around to work and class...

any help is good help!

mikelemoine
08-11-2009, 10:24 PM
Spend the extra $6 per tank for the good stuff, your motor will thank you! I got a bad tank of 93 a few times and really had to be careful to avoid pinging. All it takes is to forget one time and you can destroy your motor. Not worth saving $6 a week or so for the average driver....

L8 APEX
08-11-2009, 10:55 PM
I wouldn't go below 91. 10-20 cents a gallon isn't worth engine damage costs.