PDA

View Full Version : 99L Misfiring, idle, and shuts down

SVTLght99
10-23-2009, 12:58 PM
Hello guys, once again my damn L has its problems. First off ive noticed that I have problems with my L when it rains. The last couple of problems ive had have been water in the plugs. And it seems like that when I hit a big puddle of water and then my L starts misfiring like sh*t. Well the problem I have now is that its misfiring. But unlike any other misfire ive had before, this time its misfiring and just shuts down when im actually driving it. I could let it idle in park and the idle gets to low at times that it just shuts the whole truck down. I could be driving it, and the moment I accelerate fully down, it cuts off. But keep in mind that its misfiring the whole time im driving it. I drove it this morning and all of a sudden my speedometer gauge went from 0-140 but im driving 35mph. Then the truck shuts off and cuts on all while im still driving. It kind of feels like I have a vacuum hose off somewhere and the misfiring included. But ive had misfire before but never did it actually shut off my whole truck or mess with the gauges or anything.

L8 APEX
10-23-2009, 01:57 PM
The speedo glitch would be loose ground or battery connections.

Battery cables and connections could cause any and all of these issues.

water in the coils is the most common misfire, along with dead coil packs, burn electrodes on plugs etc..

Loose chip can cause them to die if you have an old chip for tuning.

SVTLght99
10-23-2009, 02:07 PM
How would I go about checking the Coil Packs to see if there dead

yadisisp2
10-23-2009, 02:20 PM
You can pull them out 1 at a time and see which one doesn't effect your idle.

L8 APEX
10-23-2009, 02:45 PM
You can Google Ford coil pack test. It will show you how to ohm them and see if the are good.

99WhiteBeast
10-26-2009, 04:34 PM
I have the identical problem on my beater (99GrandAm). It is missing the inner fender well and has a short in the crank position sensor- every time I hit a big puddle on the right side the car starts bucking and misfiring like its out of gas.

Its great to mess with the kids on a rainy day:D They think we are running out of gas every time or about to break down.

Sandman
10-26-2009, 08:21 PM
Its great to mess with the kids on a rainy day:D They think we are running out of gas every time or about to break down.
:rll: