PDA

View Full Version : Tuning to the edge

Sandman
10-25-2009, 02:42 PM
I haven't used this or heard it discussed on here, but it's getting really good reviews.

J&S Vampire Knock Control (http://www.lightningrodder.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27074)

Silver_2000
10-25-2009, 03:31 PM
Ford turned off the retard sensor on lightnings because the engine was too noisy.

Reminds me of when I used to over wind the rubber band on the rubber band powered balsa gliders - the plane would fly a little further based on the extra twsists BUT You could only over twist it a few times before it broke

Sandman
10-25-2009, 08:20 PM
Not sure how this system is better\different, but everybody that uses it seems to like it.

L8 APEX
10-25-2009, 09:09 PM
Ford turns the sensor off because the eaton supercharger has too much vibration and grumble that sets it off. A nicer blower like KB may be quieter. I still haven't seen any tuners turning it on and using it. In the GM products you can adjust the response curve and sensitivity of the knock sensor to accommodate noisier valve trains, high lift cams, solid lifters etc..

Sandman
10-25-2009, 09:27 PM
Looks like this system comes with its own sensor.

L8 APEX
10-26-2009, 06:22 PM
Summit Racing sells several knock sensor stand alone kits for tuning cabureted and non computer controlled vehicles. It is just a matter of knowing which vibes are mechanical and which ones are actual detonation.

PUMP
10-26-2009, 11:45 PM
IMO, with forced air induction, knock sensor is a poor substitute for a nice rich A/F tune. Maybe use it in addition to, but I would not depend upon the sensor being able to isolate detonation from other blower noise. You probably only would want it if your pushing the envelope to the max. And if it shut you down, how would you know for sure that it was detonation? Could you do anything to correct?

Mark #2
10-27-2009, 07:31 PM
IMO, with forced air induction, knock sensor is a poor substitute for a nice rich A/F tune. Maybe use it in addition to, but I would not depend upon the sensor being able to isolate detonation from other blower noise. You probably only would want it if your pushing the envelope to the max. And if it shut you down, how would you know for sure that it was detonation? Could you do anything to correct?

If the engine detonates at high loads it is too late, the sensors are the broken rods and the holes in the block.;), but I witnessed one L motor that detonated for a whole day at Hallsville before breaking the rods.

I would spend the money on a wideband and shut it down on the warning light, but my best run came with the warning light on trying to run down a 5 second delta on the dial in to one of best looking Gen 1s in the club.

I did catch him, but I broke out, still one of my coolest memories, it appeared he was approaching 1/2 track before I even started.

So it takes discipline in the seat to shut it down. Lean is mean.;)

Silver_2000
10-27-2009, 08:26 PM
there is a movie file somewhere of a youngster here running with it hammering all the way down the track - the truck didnt blow till a week or so later

JD didnt care

L8 APEX
10-27-2009, 11:10 PM
Every day presents different variables, tuning to the edge for one tank of gas and weather may not be right the next tank of gas... A wide band O2 and common sense will go far to keep any L in one piece.