PDA

View Full Version : DPS with a scanner for inspection stickers

WA 2 FST
11-25-2009, 07:06 PM
Just saw something I hadn't seen before yesterday while on the highway...but in enough traffic that things were slow. DPS had a guy pulled over and had what appeared to be a bar-code scanner like you see at any check-out counter. He was at the driver's side of the windshield and appeared to be scanning the barcode on the inspection sticker.

I've heard this to be a possibility, but never seen it in person.

If you have a phony sticker, you could be in trouble.

Braker85
11-25-2009, 08:48 PM
You can scan the registration stickers and the inspections but Ive never seen it done by anyone on an Inspection sticker. If an officer does for some reason decide to scan either of them and they are fake then you may have some explaining to do. Oh and I nice $300 ticket for each fake sticker, I think :eek:

WA 2 FST
11-25-2009, 09:53 PM
You can scan the registration stickers and the inspections but Ive never seen it done by anyone on an Inspection sticker. If an officer does for some reason decide to scan either of them and they are fake then you may have some explaining to do. Oh and I nice $300 ticket for each fake sticker, I think :eek:

Exactly my point. And since there is a black market for people with older cars (that can't pass an emissions test, etc) that get an illegal sticker that matches the VIN of another car, I see this as the reason a DPS officer might have the equipment to scan an inspection sticker.

As you mentioned, they are VIN-specific when you get your inspection done, and that info is certainly recorded and filed electronically somewhere.

I have just never seen it done before, and I can't be 100% sure that's what the guy was doing, but I had a good look at the situation to make an educated guess.

L8 APEX
11-26-2009, 06:38 AM
Makes sense. All of mine are legit stickers, I just don't always take the test.

Braker85
11-26-2009, 12:29 PM
LOL....mine are legit but like L8 I dont always take the test

Tobbun
01-21-2010, 06:23 PM
Actually got pulled over yesterday... for inspection sticker.

The cop was on the shoulder near a exit from the tollway... and was just looking at inspection stickers... wasn't doing radar... just inspection stickers.

He did have a mobile device that scanned and I think he scanned the inspection sticker and the registration tag.

It knew when I got the inspection sticker because he said if I could get it inspected within 10 days it would be free... because it hasn't been expired 60 days yet. The month was Nov though... so only way to know days (without looking at the backside) is the scan. I was prob 8 days away from being over 60.

I am a fan of legit inspections... sans the test... but right now that entails Ft Worth... need a closer to Plano spot... :)

rickgig
02-01-2010, 10:10 AM
Texas is one of about 15 states left (not sure about the number but it is a small number) that have a vehicle inspection process requiring an annual inspection. More than likely Texas is going to follow the other states and dump it too.

The underground market for illegal stickers is one of the reasons and the overhead at the state level is another.

The model other states are using is the vehicle must pass inspection upon the sale of the vehicle in order for the title to be transferred.

I remember having "off road use" pipes on my 87 Mustang... easy on, easy off. Then I heard about DPS looking under cars that were modified during traffic stops and decided to not to risk it.

Of course my son is running off road pipes on his Roush 427R and he's a former cop!

gagspa
02-01-2010, 07:09 PM
I've been running catless pipes on my 'stang since 2002 and have never had a problem passing inspection. Ever since they ditched testing the tailpipe in favor of scanning the computer it has been easier than ever! God bless MIL Eliminators!