PDA

View Full Version : New Lightning driver on the road

WA 2 FST
12-23-2009, 04:06 PM
Well, my son turned 15 last Friday, and got his permit on Monday. He's been officially driving for 2 days, and doing well.

He hasn't broken any traffic laws or unwritten "rules of the road" yet, but he's already seen two complete idiots. Both were making left turns into oncoming traffic when they had a green (yield), UNPROTECTED, light. In both cases he was heading towards them with a green, and in both cases had to slam on the brakes to avoid these fools... oh, and yes, he was driving the speed limit (in one case he was completely stopped, waiting for his green, then 5 seconds after he had a green, a car makes a left turn in front of him).

Of course both these events made my blood boil, and I lost it with the last guy. I'm glad I wasn't driving or I'd have followed him to his destination. Complete moron.

But the good thing is that Tyler is getting some good time behind the wheel, even in some holiday traffic, and managing things well, getting a feel for his truck.

dboat
12-23-2009, 04:27 PM
Fantastic.. sounds like a great kid..

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

Dana

ThunderBolt
12-23-2009, 04:52 PM
Lucky kid!

Silver_2000
12-23-2009, 04:56 PM
Lucky kid!

+100

Hope he realizes it

Shiner1
12-23-2009, 05:37 PM
Make sure he salutes his new L brothers when he sees them driving down the road. :rll:

Beaudee
12-23-2009, 06:15 PM
Thats a bunch of responsability for a teen.Id reccommend a Terry juvenile tune:icon_mrgreen: Truck looks great:tu:

L8 APEX
12-23-2009, 07:35 PM
I need to get you an updated youth tune. I developed a new one for another 16yr old driver. It shifts softly and lays down around 85mph... What else can you do...

WA 2 FST
12-23-2009, 07:44 PM
First of all, he can't drive it by himself for another year.

Second, he saved $9500 since he was 6 for a vehicle. That doesn't mean he paid that (actually, he's paying me $14.5k for it...which is low, but isn't a "gift"). He's got some more saving to do to pay it off.

So, third... I didn't give him the truck.

Fourth, Terry has a "teen tune" that I can pop in anytime. I don't think he's had it over 2500rpm yet. I know he hasn't gotten into boost yet b/c he was asking about the steering pod gauge I still have installed with an Autometer boost gauge (which I'll probably remove shortly).

most likely, he will be the slowest L driver on the road for a couple of years. really, he's a lot like me... extremely cautious until he becomes very, very confident (and then some). Certainly you can get into trouble with something like this, but you can with any car. It has good visibility, good brakes, good handling, can only seat 1 other friend comfortably, and with common sense managing the loud-pedal like any other responsible driver, he should be ok.

The truck is pristine...very, very few nicks on it, and the interior is near perfect. It sounds mean, since it has Terry's custom exhaust. I hope it doesn't get him in trouble when he has to go take his driving test with the DPS officer at 16.

I am sure at some point the front bumper will have to be replaced. It has some scuffs on the very bottom of it, since it has the Roush suspension and sits low. He's pretty nervous about parking it when he has to pull up to a curb, but he's working on that, and he'll be like the rest of us...parking out in the boonies and walking to his destination, instead of having to get the front row spot.

L8 APEX
12-23-2009, 08:05 PM
I found my first version of teen tunes didn't go slow, I left a torque table maxed out. So I am just saying I fixed that and have a true slower safer tune when you want to turn him loose.

My dad and I towed my first pickup home. It sat on jack stands while I fixed, rebuilt the drive train and did the body work. 8 months and $2,500 later I was fully invested and driving my sweat and grit. I took damn good care of that truck after building it with my dad.

After seeing Todd's kid take care of his L I am sure yours will do super.:tu:

WA 2 FST
12-23-2009, 08:41 PM
sounds good, Terry. Thanks. We'll hook up when it comes time.

Moonshine
12-23-2009, 08:46 PM
Sounds like you and he are both doing well. On a side note, if he takes Drivers Ed he no longer has to take a driving test with a Trooper.

WA 2 FST
12-23-2009, 08:53 PM
Brian, he is taking an online DE class as part of the Parent Taught DE course which I'm supervising. But as of Sept 1, 2009 I was under the impression that the laws have changed and now even DE students have to take a real driver's test at 16.

I know that regulation had been repealed decades ago, which was too bad I think.

But I may have misunderstood what I thought I read about the new regs.

Ohmsby
12-23-2009, 09:57 PM
Congrats on the new driver on the road. I get the impression your kids are well prepared for life in general.

Him saving and paying for it is a good start to learning the value of a purchase IMHO:tu:

WA 2 FST
12-23-2009, 10:19 PM
Thanks, John.

I have been telling him since he was young that if he worked to save $$, and proved to be responsible (which is an ongoing process, IMHO, that must be consistently proven), then I would give him some latitude when it was time for him to choose his first vehicle purchase.

Since I was going to sell the truck 14 months ago, we sat down and drew out a plan for him to pay for it (b/c he didn't have the $$ then, and knew he couldn't afford it) if that was what he wanted.

Taking pride in ownership b/c you worked/paid for something IS a big deal. Intrinsically (sp?), it makes you appreciate things more and be more cautious (e.g.: Terry's experience above). I figure he could get a POS and probably wouldn't care about it as much, and he could still get into plenty of trouble with it if he wasn't responsible.

Thing is... I still have the title, and as long as he's getting any funds from me (including college when that time comes), my wife and I will determine the rules. In turn, it is only fair to explain the rules and expectations to my kids so they understand, and make decisions knowing most of the consequences involved (or at least the ones that can be predetermined).

If he gets a ticket, he loses the keys. And also, since the truck is paid for, I am not going to keep collision on it... at least I don't plan to, when he becomes the primary driver. I haven't checked yet, but I believe insurance will be so ridiculously high (for any teen-driven vehicle) that it will not be worth it. It will have the mandated liability insurance and I'll keep comp on it in case of vandalism, hail, etc. But he already understands that if he piles it up, he'll be forking over the $$ to pay for the repairs.

This is a different life stage for our family, though. I take for granted the driving skills I (and I'm sure all of us) have developed over 25yrs of driving. It's second nature to us, and a relaxing/fun thing to do. For him right now, its "pins and needles" and getting him to relax is going to take some time. Of course it doesn't help when dad throws out an expletive when someone blatantly turns in front of him! I get to learn some restraint too. :tongue:

ZeusSVT
12-23-2009, 10:32 PM
Looks like you had it all planned out for him. Good to see he is getting some road time already. Just don't let him hear too much of that S/C whine, it's addicting. :evil

L8 APEX
12-23-2009, 10:56 PM
I think performance oriented riving schools are a good thing. Not to give his the ego of Andretti but to teach the true skills you can't learn on the roads cheap. I have heard good things about the Audi teen program at the Motor Speedway.

I think they learn traction budgeting, threshold braking, skid, wet and other skills in the 2-3 day program.

Or you could send him to the Ken Block driving school:bows
HQ7R_buZPSo

WA 2 FST
12-24-2009, 08:25 AM
Yes, I plan on checking into the Audi Teen driving school at TMS.

I think the more driving time, the better, and learning defensive manuevers in a controlled enviroment is an excellent way to gain confidence and control.

L8 APEX
12-24-2009, 09:01 AM
North Texas Kart racing... The best drivers in the country started out in Kart.

dboat
12-24-2009, 10:57 AM
North Texas Kart racing... The best drivers in the country started out in Kart.

Danica Patrick:D

Moonshine
12-24-2009, 01:08 PM
Wes,

Your info is probably more recent, and I agree that rescinding the driving test was a bad idea.

WA 2 FST
12-24-2009, 01:19 PM
Wes,

Your info is probably more recent, and I agree that rescinding the driving test was a bad idea.

And they still have parallel parking as part of the test... LOL. I've probably done that 5x in 25 yrs of driving. He'll have fun practicing that. They have a place in the rear of the facility at the DPS office where we can go practice.

L8 APEX
12-24-2009, 05:21 PM
Parallel is cool!
REpXf0cmJ64

LNds7rd1AxA
Gr1e9jilWek

toddwarren
02-04-2010, 03:55 PM
I just stumbled upon this thread while looking for some information here on Talon.
Knock on wood but Lance has had his 2002 L since 16th B day with no tickets beside the front tag deal. No accidents! Again knocking on wood.
Wes told me when I bought him the truck if a kid is an idiot it will not matter what they drive, because they will be full speed and out of control.
He did say at least these trucks brake quick LOL!!!

Change the subject:
I ended up using Michaels stereo guy and had a system installed for Lance, out the door TT&L 2K on the dot.
2 10"subs with custom box very nicely done.
4 speakers in the factory slots
2 tweeters
1 amplifier
1 Pioneer head unit with blue tooth, ipod and all that stuff
all wiring and such associated to make the stuff work.
I drove it once, it is certainly loud and it felt like Mike Tyson pounding my kidneys with the subs right behind the seats.:eek:

99bolt
02-04-2010, 05:26 PM
Put my nephew through the Audi teen driving course before I gave him the
Lightning. He thought he knew everything before the course. He told me after, he didn't know quite as much as he thought.

WA 2 FST
02-06-2010, 12:49 AM
That looks like a really good course.

So far, so good. Of course, my son has me riding with him, but he's doing well with the basics. Hasn't gotten the thing above 3000rpm yet... absolutely no full-throttle to this point. He's being cautious, and taking things slow.

99bolt
02-06-2010, 07:29 AM
I was impressed with the instructors. They seemed liked they cared for the teens. They would repeat a task until everyone was comfortable.

L8 APEX
02-13-2010, 11:59 AM
Here is a link to the course.
http://www.texasdrivingexperience.com/sub.aspx?p=DrivingPrograms&s=STS

99WhiteBeast
02-13-2010, 07:06 PM
And they still have parallel parking as part of the test... LOL. I've probably done that 5x in 25 yrs of driving. He'll have fun practicing that. They have a place in the rear of the facility at the DPS office where we can go practice.

My step daughter just got her license last Friday. She did the independent driving school thing but nothing but an eye test and $5 was required at DPS.

I still remember the trooper who gave me my test. He put a cup of coffee on my dash and told me if I spilled it I fail. I was sweating bullets the whole time. It left a lasting impression to say the least.

I'm going to look into the Audi thing. I called them last week and the instructor spent a good 15 minutes on the phone talking about and answering questions-seems like a great program.

99bolt
02-15-2010, 06:30 PM
I think that driving school, or one like it, is the best thing for a new driver. The lack of instructions for new drivers to obtain a license is crazy.