PDA

View Full Version : For those that are fed up with the current Congress

dboat
01-01-2010, 04:33 PM
Congressional Reform Act of 2010

1. Term Limits: 12 years only, one of the possible options below.

A. Two Six year Senate terms
B. Six Two year House terms
C. One Six year Senate term and three Two Year House terms
Serving in Congress is an honor, not a career. The Founding Fathers envisioned citizen legislators, serve your term(s), then go home and back to work.

2. No Tenure / No Pension:

A congressman collects a salary while in office and receives no pay when they are out of office.
Serving in Congress is an honor, not a career. The Founding Fathers envisioned citizen legislators, serve your term(s), then go home and back to work.

3. Congress (past, present & future) participates in Social Security:

All funds in the Congressional retirement fund moves to the Social Security system immediately.

All future funds flow into the Social Security system, Congress participates with the American people.
Serving in Congress is an honor, not a career. The Founding Fathers envisioned citizen legislators, server your term(s), then go home and back to work.

4. Congress can purchase their own retirement plan just as all Americans.

5. Congress will no longer vote themselves a pay raise. Congressional pay will rise by the lower of CPI or 3%.

6. Congress looses their current health care system and participates in the same health care system as the American people.

7. Congress must equally abide by all laws they impose on the American people.

8. All contracts with past and present congressmen are void effective 1/1/2011.
The American people did not make this contract with congressmen, congressmen made all these contracts for themselves.

Moonshine
01-01-2010, 05:27 PM
:tu:Me likey.

Shiner1
01-01-2010, 06:28 PM
:tu:me likey.

+1

Ohmsby
01-01-2010, 08:05 PM
Yes please

WA 2 FST
01-01-2010, 09:34 PM
Is this something that is actually being proposed, Dana?

dboat
01-02-2010, 06:36 AM
Parts of it have been proposed before (term limits for example). Right now, its an internet email going around trying to drum up support for it. With the Tea Party movement and the level of discontent with both parties in Congress, its just a reaction to wanting to get thing changed. The normal reaction is that we, the people, can vote out anyone we want when it comes around to elections. While true, it doesnt take into account that it is the established parties that put the candidate up for election. Usually, the incumbent is always put back up by the party in power and then we get the effect of having some of these characters in office for decades, unless the opposing party is able to get a candidate elected. Also, the party in power tries to change the boundaries of districts and such to create districts where they can establish themselves and be able to hold on to it forever (see gerrymandering).
Personally, I would drop their pay to the average American as well. This way there is no real financial advantage in going to Washington as an elected representative.
I could go on and on.

Dana

PUMP
01-02-2010, 11:29 AM
The requirements (restrictions) for being a Senator or Representative are stipulated in the Constitution. Any revision to those requiremnts requires a constitutional amendment. So, it will never happen. The voters have the ultimate say on term limits, pay etc. Until we (as a nation) start using that power things will not change. I recently read the following thought (may have been in this Forum):
"Human beings have not yet developed sufficient intelligence to allow us to elect our own leaders"
I think that may be true.:eek2: