PDA

View Full Version : Battery Tender Question

ZeusSVT
01-10-2010, 05:43 PM
Since I don't drive the truck too much I have started to notice the battery getting pretty weak on start up after a week or so. Now with this brutal cold weather it has gotten much worse. I read a little online and found that this one had good reviews, but I have no experience with them, so wanted to know some opinions on this, or recommendations on another one that is out there.

Thanks. :beer:

http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-021-0128-Plus-Charger/dp/B00068XCQU/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Silver_2000
01-10-2010, 07:37 PM
start by checking the fluid level in your battery

L8 APEX
01-10-2010, 07:55 PM
I think that one works. Donnie bought a 4 bank tender from them last year. It keeps his vette, boat, atv and riding mower charged up while they set for 1-6 months at a time. He bought 4 25ft extensions to the charging cord side and 4 extra quick connects for the battery side. I have a fancy one I think it is called a CTEK 3300.
http://www.amazon.com/CTEK-Multi-Smart-Battery-Charger/dp/B000FQBWCY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1263171228&sr=1-1

PUMP
01-10-2010, 10:28 PM
For what it's worth, a lot of members of the Corvette Forum recommend the CTEK. By the same token, many of them do not seem to know the difference between a starting battery and a deep cycle battery. Go figure.

L8 APEX
01-10-2010, 10:46 PM
They just buy the most expensive tender they can find.

The important thing is to get a setup with quick connect that is easy to use and will break away in case you forget and drive off with it plugged in. You should mount the pigtail on the truck so you can connect it easily without having to open the hood.

We tethered Donnie's above his rear plate and to the garage cabinet so if he forgets it simply unplugs itself. Of course the z06 battery is in the rear, I am not sure where a good location on the L is. Maybe in the forward fender well. A nice setup will serve you well for a while.

PUMP
01-10-2010, 11:00 PM
I have a Redi-Amp marine, dual battery charger/monitor, left over from when I kept a boat at Texoma. 17-years old & still works great, but it would be kind of expensive for just automotive tender service.
I will probably have to get a quick connect set up for it on the L. The L has been sitting since I got the vette.

ZeusSVT
01-11-2010, 06:03 PM
Thanks guys. The battery is good, it's a duralast gold top, that I just bought about 4 months ago. The only thing that's bothering the battery is the fact that it has only been driven 3 times in those four months. I gotta find more time to play, all this workin' is for dummies. :tex

Anyways, I'm gonna go ahead and order that one and see how it works out. Thanks for the input.

dboat
01-11-2010, 06:33 PM
Thanks guys. The battery is good, it's a duralast gold top, that I just bought about 4 months ago. The only thing that's bothering the battery is the fact that it has only been driven 3 times in those four months. I gotta find more time to play, all this workin' is for dummies. :tex

Anyways, I'm gonna go ahead and order that one and see how it works out. Thanks for the input.

FWIW, I have had a goldtop go bad on me once in my L.. but Autozone tested it, said it was dead and gave me another.. love that warranty.. the battery had rested quietly on a battery tender in the garage over the winter..

Dana

BC Lightning
01-11-2010, 10:36 PM
FWIW, I have had a goldtop go bad on me once in my L.. but Autozone tested it, said it was dead and gave me another.. love that warranty.. the battery had rested quietly on a battery tender in the garage over the winter..

Dana

Same deal with my Optima red top, I took it up to Auto Zone with no reciept and they handed me a brand new one

I just bought a CTEK 3300 to put on the Vette, it failed inspection today because I had to use my jump pack to start it, and in the 2 miles I drove it to get it inspected it didn't have enough time to get O2 and EVAP readings, I guess I'll have to drive it so it will pass

Mark #2
01-12-2010, 08:12 PM
Same deal with my Optima red top, I took it up to Auto Zone with no reciept and they handed me a brand new one

I tried that with my Optima red top and they told me to go away, 6 years old, no receipt. I bought it at Pep boys so no electronic log at Autozone.

They have electronic logs on all the lifetime K5 parts and give me free parts all the time without the receipts.

I have had the battery tender running on the red top in the Pcar, it works, that 10 year old red top is now in the L. The older red top does have a different case design, even though it is the same part number, so I think Optima changed build specs over the years (kind of like the rods in Ls from 99/00 to newer).

Back OT, the battery tender is a good product.

BC Lightning
01-14-2010, 09:38 AM
I tried that with my Optima red top and they told me to go away, 6 years old, no receipt. I bought it at Pep boys so no electronic log at Autozone.

They have electronic logs on all the lifetime K5 parts and give me free parts all the time without the receipts.

I have had the battery tender running on the red top in the Pcar, it works, that 10 year old red top is now in the L. The older red top does have a different case design, even though it is the same part number, so I think Optima changed build specs over the years (kind of like the rods in Ls from 99/00 to newer).

Back OT, the battery tender is a good product.

HMMM, don't know why it worked for me then, it was the red top I had in my Lightning back in 2007, wanted to put it in the Tahoe as a second battery since I put a system in it, the batteyr was dead as a door nail, took it to Auto Zone, gave me a brand new one

just got this in the mail

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y7/MichaelBic38/photo11.jpg

FRDRCING
01-14-2010, 02:30 PM
Hey Michael, take the battery back up to Autozone and have them charge it. Then test it afterwards to make sure it's still good. It doesn't cost anything to do that. The gold series have a 8 yr. 3yr. free replacement on them if they go bad. The Optima batteries just came out with a 3yr. 3yr. free replacement if they go bad also. I have been working at Autozone for close to 6 months and have only seen maybe a hand full of Duralast Batteries come back bad. At that point they are getting new ones for the pro ratted cost and they make out like a bandit then. As long as it's still under the warranty time frame and in the system, we will take care of our customers.

Mark as long as you bought the battery at Autozone and was warrantied, all they have to do is pull up your info. in the warranty menu and see what is left on it. All our stores are connected for that reason. As long as your in the system, they have no reason to tell you to take a hike. I can look up your info in my store and see what all you bought as long as it had a warranty on it and was registered. Also I can see what month/day/year it was as well if you returned a core if one was required.

BC Lightning
01-14-2010, 06:39 PM
Hey Michael, take the battery back up to Autozone and have them charge it. Then test it afterwards to make sure it's still good. It doesn't cost anything to do that. The gold series have a 8 yr. 3yr. free replacement on them if they go bad. The Optima batteries just came out with a 3yr. 3yr. free replacement if they go bad also. I have been working at Autozone for close to 6 months and have only seen maybe a hand full of Duralast Batteries come back bad. At that point they are getting new ones for the pro ratted cost and they make out like a bandit then. As long as it's still under the warranty time frame and in the system, we will take care of our customers.

Mark as long as you bought the battery at Autozone and was warrantied, all they have to do is pull up your info. in the warranty menu and see what is left on it. All our stores are connected for that reason. As long as your in the system, they have no reason to tell you to take a hike. I can look up your info in my store and see what all you bought as long as it had a warranty on it and was registered. Also I can see what month/day/year it was as well if you returned a core if one was required.

They tested it, then just handed me a new Optima red top

Mark #2
01-14-2010, 07:22 PM
[QUOTE=FRDRCING;173540]
Mark as long as you bought the battery at Autozone /QUOTE] read my post. I agree with you.

FRDRCING
01-14-2010, 08:55 PM
[QUOTE=FRDRCING;173540]
Mark as long as you bought the battery at Autozone /QUOTE] read my post. I agree with you.

I misread that post mark, I see what you were saying now.

04 RedApple
01-19-2010, 06:01 PM
Mine sets in garage for weeks at a time...got this from Summit and no more problems!!
http://www.summitracing.com/search/?keyword=DTN-021-0128&dds=1