PDA

View Full Version : This does not bode well

dboat
01-27-2010, 07:36 PM
Well, as some of you know, I have a 2008 Cadillac CTS4. I have had it a bit over 2 yrs and it has just hit 30k miles. I was driving home on Monday and the engine indicator came on. I quickly checked the gauges, all were good, engine wasnt in limp home mode, so I call OnStar to have them run a diagnostic on it. They found a problem in the engine management computer but that was all they could tell. So I drove it to the Caddy dealer Tues Morning. I called and they tell me it has a stretched timing chain.. I am thinking WTF? how do you get a stretched timing chain at 30k miles.. So I picked it up today and apparently it has more than one chain and while not common, its not totally out of the ordinary either. I have warranty until 50k but now am thinking TRADE IN and move to another marque, like Lincoln..

Any of you guys hear of this kind of problem?

Dana

ZeusSVT
01-27-2010, 07:39 PM
That might be your sign that it's time to trade, or at least get it traded right before the warranty ends on you....but then again maybe it is common, I'm no mechanic, so who knows

You know they're bringing a CTS-V coupe out this year right? :tongue:

dboat
01-27-2010, 07:49 PM
That might be your sign that it's time to trade, or at least get it traded right before the warranty ends on you....but then again maybe it is common, I'm no mechanic, so who knows

You know they're bringing a CTS-V coupe out this year right? :tongue:

Yes, but I wont buy any GM or Chrysler product until they pay us back.

Dana

L8 APEX
01-27-2010, 08:34 PM
American cars are crap by 40k:evil

In2deep
01-27-2010, 08:45 PM
Get a mini :)

Ohmsby
01-27-2010, 08:49 PM
Infiniti G cars are nice and the Genesis Coupe is no joke for the $$ Lots of deals on BMW a year or two old

dboat
01-27-2010, 09:22 PM
Been out on the forums and it appears that there were a batch of less than ideal chains on the early 2008's. Supposedly the new chains fix the issue, but who will know until we have a bunch of folks hit 60k? I happen to really like the CTS, its paid for and I really am not wanting to add on any additional debt at this time.. so I am probably going to ride it out for now.. but the new Genesis is a LOT of car for the money.. Not sure what else I would like except a Lexus, Lincoln, Infiniti, etc.. the service you get with the better brands is so exceptional that I would hate to go back to the normal service you get elsewhere.

Dana

Ohmsby
01-27-2010, 09:28 PM
when I saw the genesis at SEMA I told the boys that this company is on to something rumor has the coupe internals handling over 500 horse by design and embracing the tuner community

PS F...in Obama:hammer:

Silver_2000
01-27-2010, 10:08 PM
Hyundai makes me VERY nervous - The history is not great