PDA

View Full Version : Audio Help...

gagspa
04-01-2010, 04:35 PM
I am thinking about taking the wife's L in tomorrow and having some speakers and an amp put in. I do not want to replace the head unit, so I'm obviously not going high-end. Just a little more quality sound at a higher volume.

Who do you guys usually use? My bro-in-law went to Best Buy and was pretty happy. I'd like to stay in the Arlington area if possible.

I'll probably get a pair of speakers (front have already been replaced with a semi-decent pair) or maybe four door speakers and an amp. Any recommendations?

I'll do a sub eventually, just not yet.

In2deep
04-01-2010, 04:53 PM
I do all my own work, they are 5x7 speakers, what speakers are you going with?

gagspa
04-01-2010, 05:54 PM
I do all my own work, they are 5x7 speakers, what speakers are you going with?
I haven't decided. It will all depend on price as I don't want to drop a ton while keeping the stock head unit. I bought a couple of Pioneer TS-A6870R (http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130TSA6870/Pioneer-TS-A6870R.html?tp=92&tab=other_items) 6x8s a couple of years ago. They aren't expensive speakers, but were what was recommended if using the stock head unit and no additional amp, but could be used with a weak amp as well. 220W Peak power and 2-50W RMS. I may move them to the rear and get a better set for up front and then power all four.

dboat
04-01-2010, 07:22 PM
When it comes to Best Buy.. .just say no...

Dana

gagspa
04-01-2010, 07:33 PM
When it comes to Best Buy.. .just say no...

Dana
Who then?

In2deep
04-01-2010, 08:47 PM
Hmmm, man there all rip offs can u not install yourself? Do a component set 5.25 and a tweet get the 5x7 plate adapter sounds much better, get a low end set of focal polyglass very nice speakers, a synch to install pickup some dynomat as well and do the doors for better base response..

gagspa
04-01-2010, 09:05 PM
Hmmm, man there all rip offs can u not install yourself? Do a component set 5.25 and a tweet get the 5x7 plate adapter sounds much better, get a low end set of focal polyglass very nice speakers, a synch to install pickup some dynomat as well and do the doors for better base response..
I could do the speakers, no problem, but powering the amp and then to the speakers is more than I want to do.

L8 APEX
04-01-2010, 09:23 PM
Try Woody's in Ft Worth. Or there is another shop is North Arlington that is reputable. I was there long ago, it is close to the college. The owner's name is James I think.

dboat
04-01-2010, 10:32 PM

my Focal's in the doors still sound great after all these years.. virtually no need for a sub.. and then there is the dynomat..

http://www.talonclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8930

Terry, doesnt that bring back the memories?

Dana

Chris94L
04-04-2010, 02:00 PM
I use Autosound in Bedford. Its at 183 and Bedford Rd. Talk to Eric and tell him Chris with the white Cobra sent you.

gagspa
04-04-2010, 07:50 PM
I use Autosound in Bedford. Its at 183 and Bedford Rd. Talk to Eric and tell him Chris with the white Cobra sent you.
Thanks! I'll try and make it over there for an idea.

99WhiteBeast
04-04-2010, 09:02 PM
I would attempt it yourself using someone like Crutchfield online. They will provide good recommendations and their instructions and technical help are top notch.

If you want to do the Best Buy route the one in Arlington is pretty good. The did the install of Myron Davis DVD system in the Pathfinder last year and I was pleased with the workmanship.

gagspa
04-05-2010, 08:02 AM
Maybe I'll just go the Crutchfield route with the speakers and then just have someone install the amps.

So...anyone have speaker recommendations? :D

dboat
04-05-2010, 08:20 AM
Maybe I'll just go the Crutchfield route with the speakers and then just have someone install the amps.

So...anyone have speaker recommendations? :D

Focal

Dana

kirkmears
04-05-2010, 09:07 AM
be careful putting an amp just under the back glass if it has a tendency to leak....the two don't play nicely.

dboat
04-05-2010, 09:12 AM
be careful putting an amp just under the back glass if it has a tendency to leak....the two don't play nicely.

good point.. mine is under the passenger seat

Dana

gagspa
04-05-2010, 10:42 AM
good point.. mine is under the passenger seat

Dana
Where is your jack?

dboat
04-05-2010, 10:53 AM
Where is your jack?

its in the plastic storage thing behind the seat.

Dana

kirkmears
04-05-2010, 11:05 AM
Where is your jack?

it's in the bottle...where else would it be:confused: :beer:

gagspa
04-05-2010, 12:32 PM
Did you keep the stock head unit, Dana? I wonder if the Focals will be overkill with the stock unit or if the sound quality will be good enough.

dboat
04-05-2010, 01:04 PM
Did you keep the stock head unit, Dana? I wonder if the Focals will be overkill with the stock unit or if the sound quality will be good enough.

I have done both.. I did upgrade to another Ford unit that played MP3's, it came out of a Mustang, Doug did something similar but had satellite radio in his. I had put in a Pioneer double din unit and it was stolen and I will replace it soon.

In regard to quality, the Focals are not cheap, but with them I was able to get enough base (for me) without going to a sub. If you are wanting to rattle the windows, they wont do that for you.. but I like having some hearing left at my old age too.. the Focals I have are about 8 yrs old and are still going strong.. Get a decent but not over the top amp, spend decent money on good speakers and it will be alright.. will it be as good with a stock head unit as with an aftermarket, probably not but it is good enough for most.

If I can help you in any way, please let me know.

Dana

Silver_2000
04-05-2010, 02:10 PM
Ive upgraded the audio with amp and speakers and 2 diff ford head units

one had sat radio ...

The stock head unit it nice because no one wants to steal it - ( in my case they took the whole truck )

The difference in sound from adding components in the doors and boston 5x7s in the back and a decent amp and a sub was huge ...

gagspa
04-05-2010, 04:38 PM
The stock head unit it nice because no one wants to steal it - ( in my case they took the whole truck )
That is the main reason why I don't want to upgrade the head unit.

Silver_2000
04-05-2010, 05:16 PM
i thought mine sounded great

dboat
04-05-2010, 06:23 PM
The main reason I upgraded was for the additional features I wanted.. no so much for sound quality.

Dana

In2deep
04-05-2010, 11:05 PM
Dont do focals with stock head kinda a waste.

kirkmears
04-06-2010, 07:52 PM
I think Best Buy has a lifetime warranty on their installs or at least they used to...good for resale since they're a national chain store.
Even though you said you weren't going to buy an aftermarket head unit, I never could find the thread that enticed me to buy it...so :threadhijackif you buy one of those security face plates (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290416273835)(w/ the suction cup) for an aftermarket double DIN DVD headunit, FYI~plan on modifying it to make it work. The suction cup idea=FAIL -- it fell off after a couple mintues.