PDA

View Full Version : HS250h Hybrid Rental

Silver_2000
04-07-2010, 02:03 PM
I took the lexus in for 25,000 mile service and got a free rental

it turned out to be a HS250H Hybrid (http://www.lexus.com/models/HSh/)

http://www.lexus.com/lexus-share/images/gallery/models/HSh/photos/exterior/g_ext2_HS-120.jpg

http://www.lexus.com/lexus-share/images/gallery/models/HSh/photos/interior/g_int1_HS-015.jpg

Ive never driven a hybrid before - Its pretty interesting - the screen shows average MPG of 37 - which considering its a rental and people beat on rentals is GOOD. It has a battery only mode for low speed ( under 20 mph ) maneuvering.

I could see myself owning a hybrid if they mated the hybrid technology to a 350 size engine and the Battery mode could drive the car at suburban speeds of 40 mph. That way you could have the great mileage when you wanted it and still have some oomph when you wanted that ...

mikelemoine
04-07-2010, 10:21 PM
All they'd have to do is slap a factory turbo on the gas motor and they'd be there on the speed end. I still think they are mostly gimmicks, there is still the issue of the hazardous waste of manufacturing the batteries and then recycling them periodically.

What they need to work on is finding a way to convert the heat radiated by the gas motor to electricity. Think of all the energy it takes to heat the cooling system, block and exhaust system to 200-1200 degrees, then the additional energy used to spin fans to blow all of that thermal energy into the atmosphere. If they could efficiently convert that heat to electricity they could have a tiny gas motor and a big electric motor and use even less gas. Thermocouplers do this now but getting them mounted to every surface and then dissipating heat through them to generate electricity would require some major engineering (basically toss the radiator and fan and have fins to cool one side of the TC. I'm sure there is a way to do it, just a matter of it being cost effective, small enough to fit into a car and reliable enough for mass production.

I can only imagine what cars will look like and run off of in 10-20 years. Hopefully we won't all be in slow, self driving econo pods.

dboat
04-07-2010, 11:21 PM
I can only imagine what cars will look like and run off of in 10-20 years. Hopefully we won't all be in slow, self driving econo pods.

hydrogen or biodiesel ... only water vapor for exhaust with hydrogen.. and we can still have really fast cars too
with biodiesel made from pond scum.. hey, its cheap and the delivery system is already in place..
or it could be natural gas.. plenty of that stuff around.. same delivery system as the hydrogen

Dana

Silver_2000
04-08-2010, 12:23 AM
they already capture some of the heat for various reasons

After driving it around some more Im less impressed

It gets about 12 mpg more than my GS350 - which IS 50% more but at what expense. If I drove the GS as slow as the Hybrid I would get 24 or 25 mpg, reducing the benefit some more. The complications of the technology are problems waiting to happen. The EV mode works under VERY limited circumstances and is basically good for backing out of the garage and driving down the alley and down the street as long as the school zone is on. It lasts for less than 2 miles and only goes to 20 mph. About the only thing the EV button is good for is turning off the gas motor at a stop light. The ride is VERY harsh for a lexus. If I was going to put up with that ride for a long trip Id rather take the Corvette. It gets 28 on the Highway... :evil

But it is very cool to completely silently back out of the garage and down the alley. And the fully optioned out models have TONS of cool gadgets.

98Cobra
04-08-2010, 12:25 AM
Isn't that model just a tarted up Prius?

Silver_2000
04-08-2010, 09:19 AM
Isn't that model just a tarted up Prius?

Thats what the web says but no - its a new chassis with new driveline pieces. But Im sure its based on the Prius

mikelemoine
04-10-2010, 11:31 PM
Thats what the web says but no - its a new chassis with new driveline pieces. But Im sure its based on the Prius

With Tundra suspension to carry those batteries!

Silver_2000
04-11-2010, 02:03 AM
I looked for the bank of batteries and didnt find it
But since 2 miles of < 20 mph runs the battery nearly dry I doubt its very big

Mika
04-15-2010, 12:32 AM
My wife was interested in an HS250h. She still may be. But a sticker of $42k may dictate other vehicles. We sat in one at the Fort Worth auto show. Not bad, but for $42k, yikes.

Mika

dboat
04-15-2010, 04:16 AM
My wife was interested in an HS250h. She still may be. But a sticker of $42k may dictate other vehicles. We sat in one at the Fort Worth auto show. Not bad, but for $42k, yikes.
Mika

Take one for a weekend test drive first..

Dana

98Cobra
04-15-2010, 09:43 AM
42k? There are a lot of other cars I would rather have for that kind of jack....

dboat
04-15-2010, 10:02 AM
42k? There are a lot of other cars I would rather have for that kind of jack....

Like my Cadillac CTS?:D:D:tu::tu:

except I wont buy a GM or Chrysler product until they pay us back..

Dana

Mika
04-21-2010, 09:15 PM
Take one for a weekend test drive first..

Dana

If things go well, she will get the G8 as a daily, and I'll be in another car come February next year.

Mika

dboat
04-21-2010, 10:40 PM
If things go well, she will get the G8 as a daily, and I'll be in another car come February next year.

Mika

Sound like a good plan to me.. :tu: but that depends on what you have your eye on.. :D

Dana

Mika
04-22-2010, 12:58 AM
Sound like a good plan to me.. :tu: but that depends on what you have your eye on.. :D

Dana

I still got my eye on either a C6 Z06 or an '09+ CTS-V. Both would have to be used, and I'm *trying* to get one in the $40k range(literally @ $40k). Right now the CTS-V's are still demanding $50k+, but the Z06's can be had around $38-45k range. I'm not in the market yet though. Trying to save up the cash and pay up in one shot instead of payments. Like I said earlier, my target time is February/March of '11.

I still can't believe that I'm seriously looking at GM. I'm really impressed with the G8(first GM ever). After driving Ford's(4), Subaru's(3), and Toyota's(4 if you count 1 Lexus), I gotta say that I've been very happy with the G8. Only 2 issues so far. Squeaky driver seat and driver front tire leaking at valve stem/tpms sensor. For under $27k, I stole that car.

Mika