PDA

View Full Version : Pikes Peak

Sixpipes
05-12-2010, 06:19 PM
Thinking about going this year. Anybody ever been?

http://www.usacracing.com/ppihc

zforce77
05-12-2010, 08:45 PM
Yes in 1988 but was not comfortable driving my new truck up the peak. Take the train if not driving up and make sure you take a jacket cuz when you get to the top it may be snowing. We went in June and I was wearing shorts and a t-shirt and it snowed. Train ride was realy neat to ride.

mustgofaster
05-12-2010, 09:10 PM
Pikes Peak is one of those things I've always wanted to do. No money in the budget to do it this year, but soon, I hope.

1stlightning
05-12-2010, 09:38 PM
Never been to the race, but I have driven up the mountain several times. If you have not done it. It is absolutly amazing!!!

Sixpipes
05-12-2010, 09:57 PM
Love to see this guy go up the mountain...

http://director.usacracing.com/ppihc/photo/web_site/Monster-Machine.jpg

mikelemoine
05-12-2010, 10:09 PM
As 1stlightning said, it is really beautiful. My wife and I took the train up a couple years ago, they give you a good history of the mountain and a little bit on the race. They pointed out hairpin turns on the dirt road and mentioned the racers do about 70 sideways around them, no guardrails! It was about 65 and sunny in Manitou Springs where we caught the train, and below freezing at the top. You'll feel like you downed a six pack or so when you get to the top too, as the air is very thin.

Here's a link to the train and some pics of the mountain. It's worth the trip even if you don't go for the races, although that is a big plus too!

http://cograilway.com/

Silver_2000
05-13-2010, 07:53 AM
THis would be cool to see

http://director.usacracing.com/ppihc/photo/web_site/PM580-large.jpg

In the world of racing, Unlimited, means "Anything Goes." Unlike other forms of motorsport (NASCAR, Indy Car, F1, etc.) the Pikes Peak International Hill Climb Unlimited Class gives teams the freedom to create any kind of race car they want to conquer the mountain without restrictions on tires, weight and horsepower. Teams can make their cars as light as possible, with an unlimited amount of horsepower and with whatever braking, drivetrain or suspension package they desire.
With this in mind, Rhys Millen Racing is fabricating a modern Le Mans style car with a target weight of 1,850 pounds powered by a 4.1-liter Hyundai Lambda turbocharged V6 engine. The team feels to have a competitive power-to-weight ratio, the car will need to produce 675 horsepower. Current engine testing shows the engine is capable of producing 750 horsepower, which is more than needed to tackle the mountain.

Shiner1
05-13-2010, 08:16 AM
TALON road trip!!!!!

ZeusSVT
05-13-2010, 12:53 PM
TALON road trip!!!!!

Lets take the scenic route to get there.....screw the interstate. :icon_mrgreen:

Shiner1
05-13-2010, 04:38 PM
Lets take the scenic route to get there.....screw the interstate. :icon_mrgreen:

+1:tu:

dboat
05-13-2010, 05:32 PM
+1:tu:

+2

Silver_2000
05-13-2010, 07:50 PM
+3

mustgofaster
05-13-2010, 09:27 PM
+ 4

L8 APEX
05-13-2010, 09:44 PM
I'll be pre running the mountain in 4 weeks:cool:

kirkmears
05-14-2010, 09:15 AM
i've been probably at least 1/2 dozen times and we camped in the surrounding areas...in the 70's & 80's as a kid...lol. i wouldn't be suprised if there's a BoA or a 7-11 at the top now. don't forget your fishing gear & grab some salmon eggs.

charlie
05-14-2010, 09:26 AM
If you going to watch the race stay below the tree line if you have any kind of breathing issues. And stay on the inside of turns. Carry lots of water/snacks, you will be there for a while. Or stay at the little shop up close to the tree line, but be sure you have plenty of money for the 4 dollar coke.

I was going this year (again) but my job stopped that this year.

Get there the week before the race. there is not as many people there. Book your camp ground/hotel now.

Garden of the gods is a great place to stay. A lot of the racers stay there.
Or the place right across the street. (sorry cant remember the name).

And don't worry about driving up it, it's no big deal. I road my bike up 2 years ago. And keep on the look out for the big foot crossing sign.

And the gun laws are better there, than here.

Mark #2
05-14-2010, 09:45 PM
And stay on the inside of turns. Carry lots of water/snacks, you will be there for a while.
Reminds me of a WRC race I attended.
I watch PP every year and it is great on TV, just like WRC, but sitting in one turn and watching one car go by gets very monotonous, but believe that everyone should experience all types of racing at least once in person.:tu: