PDA

View Full Version : BP OIL Spill

Beaudee
05-15-2010, 10:01 AM
EmMdiu1Q2qk&feature=related What a mess.In the end i think the clean-up cost will be @ the pump.So much for the Obama open drilling plan. http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_gulf_oil_spill Pretty sad,i love Florida.Looks like lots of tarballs for awhile.

L8 APEX
05-15-2010, 12:57 PM
Funny BP says they are flowing 5000 barrels per day and scientists say 70,000 per day...:rolleyes:

Beaudee
05-16-2010, 11:16 AM
I find it hard to believe this well has been dumping oil for a month.I think the military/navy should be involved as they have the equipment for such depths.I feel for the fisherman/shrimpers.Exxon Valdez spill put several out of business in alsaka and the oil quanity from B.P. isnt far from the alaska spill.How hard can it be to stop?Where is Donnie with his underwater welding rig LOL.

mikelemoine
05-16-2010, 09:18 PM
Yeah they are saying some of it is now getting into the currents that will take it to the Florida Keys and up the East coast. I can't imagine the damage it will do.

I am for offshore drilling simply because I want us to stop buying oil from our enemies. I am really pissed that these corporations that make billions a quarter in profit, and our crooked government didn't bother to have a back up plan for this. I read that there are safety features, but they cost a lot of money and they decided to allow risk management (an occasional spill is cheaper than buying and maintaining high tech valves). Then the bastages went and got their liability capped, wonder who got paid for that deal?

Still, the nuke some terrorist will eventually set off here in the USA using our oil payments will do quite a bit of ecological and economic harm. We need to keep drilling, but let representatives of the environmentalists, coastal city/state governments and affected industries (fishing, tourism, etc) participate and have some say over what goes on. We can't trust big business and politicians, but if you get a group of people who are unrelated and probably won't ever agree on things together, there will be safeguards implemented.

Now if Ford can make a powerstroke that runs off oil/saltwater they could probably sell a bunch of them in TX, MS, LA and FL.

PUMP
05-17-2010, 10:26 AM
What's really bad about this is that it was preventable.:flaming: The blow out preventer had a damaged annular (rubber sealing element) and the rig operator knew (or at least had good intel) that it was damaged. The only thing holding the well pressure was the column of drilling mud. They where in the process of abandoning this well due to a cave in at the bottom. The blow out occured after BP ordered the rig operator to start removing the drilling mud before the cement plugs where verified to be holding.
BP and the rig operator will get hit with gross neglegence on this one.

Silver_2000
05-17-2010, 11:26 AM
didnt I also read or hear that the inspections and battery replacements were both "pencil whipped "

PUMP
05-17-2010, 04:14 PM
didnt I also read or hear that the inspections and battery replacements were both "pencil whipped "That too. The whole thing reads like a made for TV "China Syndrome" only it really happened.:eek2:

Beaudee
05-19-2010, 11:34 PM
Whole thing is like someone dumped in the pool,saw it happen and did nothin:rll::hammer:

Ohmsby
05-20-2010, 09:22 AM
didnt I also read or hear that the inspections and battery replacements were both "pencil whipped "

Doug that never happens:tex

99bolt
05-20-2010, 02:28 PM
Where is Donnie with his underwater welding rig LOL.

I'm at home drinking Margaritas.:beer:

We need to have another Margarita get together. Let me know when your schedule allows. I'm home for atleast another two weeks.

Beaudee
05-22-2010, 10:03 AM
I'm at home drinking Margaritas.:beer:

We need to have another Margarita get together. Let me know when your schedule allows. I'm home for atleast another two weeks.

Sounds good.We still need to go fishin.Ive been catchin BIG channel cat up in 2 foot of water as they are spawnin.Good beer drinkin/relaxing bobber fishin:D

Beaudee
06-02-2010, 11:31 PM
Maybe a MOAB bomb will seal the leak,how many weeks a of spewing now,shame the tide doesnt pull that stuff straight to england(just might from the looks of things)???Whats BP stock now,gets under a buck i might be interested LOL..Seriously:rolleyes:

dboat
06-03-2010, 06:42 AM
From the political viewpoint.. BP is responsible for this, however, it is the administrations responsibility for the clean up.. on that end, they have been asleep at the wheel. There lack of response to the Gov of La in his requests to help minimize the damage are inexcusable. There are a lot of different technologies that are available to try to help keep this oil at bay, but they are using very old methods. I saw the exCEO of Shell on tv last night saying he has been trying to contact BP and the admin in regard to a solution of using barges and tanker to pump the mess and separate the oil from the water. This is a method Shell has used successfully before but his words are falling on deaf ears. There are other solutions as well, but instead we see the pool of oil getting larger and no real action taking place other than treating the symptom of cleaning the birds and scooping oil off of the sand.
This is truly a sad time for those that live on the Gulf Coast:flaming:
Dana

Silver_2000
06-11-2010, 07:27 PM
Im confused

there is still no consensus as to the rate of flow from the well

Wouldn't the flow rate from the well before the problems be a primary stat that BP knew.

An oil company has no idea how much a well is producing ?
Give me a break. I understand that the water pressure and condition of the pipe would be variables but I'm willing to bet that a Jr BP engineer could work out the rate in 30 min ...

Shouldnt that be the flow rate to start with ?

I think that BP is intentionally muddying the water to lower the liability and the $$ of the future fines

If they cant work out that rate then they are criminally incompetent

The larger estimates, while still preliminary and considered a worst-case scenario, could contribute to breathtaking liabilities against BP. Penalties can be levied against the company under a variety of environmental protection laws, including fines of up to $1,100 under the Clean Water Act for each barrel of oil spilled.

Based on the maximum amount of oil possibly spilled to date, that would translate to a potential civil fine for simple discharge alone of $2.8 billion. If BP were found to have committed gross negligence or willful misconduct, the civil fine could be up to $4,300 per barrel, or up to $11.1 billion.

The lead scientist in the effort said the most credible range at the moment is between 840,000 gallons and 1.68 million gallons a day.

Another part of the equation is how much more oil started to leak last week after the riser pipe was cut, a step that BP and government officials said could increase the flow by 20 percent. The pipe cut was necessary to install a cap over the well; the cap has captured an estimated 4 million gallons so far.

If the higher-end estimates prove accurate, the leak amounts to an Exxon Valdez every five days or so. At that rate, in just over three weeks from now it will eclipse the worst oil spill in peacetime history, the 1979 Ixtoc disaster in Mexico, which took 10 months to belch out 140 million gallons of oil into the Gulf.

Mark #2
06-11-2010, 10:58 PM
Im confused

there is still no consensus as to the rate of flow from the well

Wouldn't the flow rate from the well before the problems be a primary stat that BP knew.

An oil company has no idea how much a well is producing ?
Give me a break. I understand that the water pressure and condition of the pipe would be variables but I'm willing to bet that a Jr BP engineer could work out the rate in 30 min ...

Shouldnt that be the flow rate to start with ?

I think that BP is intentionally muddying the water to lower the liability and the $$ of the future fines

If they cant work out that rate then they are criminally incompetent
Random engineer's comment, put a ruler/scale behind the pictures, a stopwatch, and give me the diameter of the pipe, minus the amount collected/hour and I can calculate it in about a minute.
Total BS.