PDA

View Full Version : Formula 1 in Texas? Golly!!!

Mika
05-25-2010, 05:47 PM
http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2010/5/10824.html

It appears that F1 wants some U.S. money...I mean presence. They are looking to make it happen in 2012. Privately funded world class course in AUSTIN. I know there aren't too many F1 fans here(Dana and Tex-where has he been?), but I'd like to hear other thoughts. Especially since its 3 hours away.

Mika

98Cobra
05-25-2010, 06:18 PM
I will be going to the first race. This is a big deal for not only Austin, but Texas as a whole. You know all the other orgs will come through - IRL, NASCAR road course, etc. A lot of money...

dboat
05-25-2010, 06:21 PM
http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2010/5/10824.html

It appears that F1 wants some U.S. money...I mean presence. They are looking to make it happen in 2012. Privately funded world class course in AUSTIN. I know there aren't too many F1 fans here(Dana and Tex-where has he been?), but I'd like to hear other thoughts. Especially since its 3 hours away.
Mika

Wow, this is a done deal and I hadnt heard anything about it until now.. it would be great to have it that close.. I would plan on going every year. Its a real event.. as long as the stands are covered.. :D

Dana

Sixpipes
05-25-2010, 07:25 PM
I will be there holding a glass of Chardonnay in one hand and a plastic-tipped cigarette in the other. :burnout:

dboat
05-25-2010, 08:28 PM
I will be there holding a glass of Chardonnay in one hand and a plastic-tipped cigarette in the other. :burnout:

wearing your best pair of slacks, a sweater draped around your shoulders talking with your best Hamptons accent..:evil

Dana

mustgofaster
05-25-2010, 09:15 PM
Hmmm... I have always wanted to see a Formula 1 race. Talon convoy?

Mark #2
05-25-2010, 09:24 PM
I remember when F1 was in Dallas in the turbo days, and I helped set up the track and was one of the first that got to drive on it in the P car.

Wish it could have been here again, but cool that it is back in TX.

Mika
05-25-2010, 09:54 PM

Wow. You're a high dollar baller:icon_lol:. I'll just stick to my Schlitz and Cloves in the corner:icon_wink:.

Hmmm... I have always wanted to see a Formula 1 race. Talon convoy?

99WhiteBeast
05-26-2010, 12:12 PM
I'm going for the F1 girlsknana

Shiner1
05-26-2010, 01:21 PM
i'm going for the f1 girlsknana

+1

Silver_2000
05-26-2010, 06:17 PM
Sounds like a great opportunity ...

Assuming they dont follow J Jones pricing scheme

dboat
05-26-2010, 08:17 PM
Sounds like a great opportunity ...

Assuming they dont follow J Jones pricing scheme

it wasnt a cheap ticket at Indy but most big time racing anymore isnt

Dana

Mika
05-26-2010, 09:52 PM
it wasnt a cheap ticket at Indy but most big time racing anymore isnt

Dana

Really? Compared to other F1 venues, US was pretty much the cheapest. My parents about 5 years ago went to Spain(Catalunya, IIRC), and dropped almost $200US for seats.

The 7 of the 8 years I went to Indy, tickets were between $70-100. I think that's dirt cheap. Now we weren't near the finish line, but rather the North and North West Vista, where we'd see half of the front straight and the beginning part of the back straight. And 7 turns.

If tickets were under $250 per person, it'd be well worth it. But don't tell the coordinator that;).

Mika

dboat
05-27-2010, 05:42 AM
I hear ya, but its a matter of perspective.. not many folks here have been to a F1 race in Spain.. I did buy tickets by the finish line under the covered stands and they were worth every penny to me. But if the price of admission starts north of $200 per ticket, then its a whole nother issue. A good question is how much would folks on this board be willing to pay for admission to the race. I am guessing that $250 per ticket is going to be a reach, depending on where they are located and other factors (like covered seating).
as an aside, I plan on going to the Monaco Grand Prix someday, I am guessing that is not going to be a cheap ride either.:(

Dana

Really? Compared to other F1 venues, US was pretty much the cheapest. My parents about 5 years ago went to Spain(Catalunya, IIRC), and dropped almost $200US for seats.

The 7 of the 8 years I went to Indy, tickets were between $70-100. I think that's dirt cheap. Now we weren't near the finish line, but rather the North and North West Vista, where we'd see half of the front straight and the beginning part of the back straight. And 7 turns.
If tickets were under $250 per person, it'd be well worth it. But don't tell the coordinator that;).

Mika

ZeusSVT
05-28-2010, 12:09 PM
Definitely planning on going. Already told my boss...."Hey, theres a race in Austin in 2012, not sure the dates yet, but put it on your calendar. I won't be here." He thinks I am crazy, but he is interested in going too. lol :nana2

dboat
05-30-2010, 04:57 PM
I was watching Formula 1 Debrief and they had the owner of the group that is bringing F1 to Texas on via phone. According to him, this is pretty much a done deal. His group have been working on it for 2-3 years, yet nothing has been out about it. The big question is where is it going to be and if you are going to have a dedicated track, grandstands, etc etc.. done in 2 years, you have to have a lot of the logistics and other logistical issues already done. He seemed very confident and they had already picked out a track designer and such.. should prove to be interesting, but the best part is whether the track will be used for other types of racing or just a single venue track:confused:

Dana

dboat
07-28-2010, 07:53 PM
http://www.formula1unitedstates.com/

For those that are interested.. looks like they already have the land locked up too.. should prove to be interesting.

Dana

Mika
07-29-2010, 09:30 PM
I'm definitely looking forward to it. My mom's gonna fly into town here and we'll drive down there and make a weekend out of it. Maybe stay in SA...

Mika

dboat
07-29-2010, 11:39 PM
I'm definitely looking forward to it. My mom's gonna fly into town here and we'll drive down there and make a weekend out of it. Maybe stay in SA...
Mika
My out laws, er in laws, live just outside of Austin.. cant wait for it myself..

Dana