PDA

View Full Version : Temp problems?

1stlightning
06-08-2010, 07:24 PM
My truck in getting hot and is not cooling very well anymore. Not sure if I have a problem with the radiator or not. I can smell some radiator fluid but it does not drip anywhere. I want to get this looked at. Maybe get a bigger radiator and change to an electric fan. Does anyone here do this kind of work, or maybe recomend a shop near the fort worth/arlington area?

mustgofaster
06-08-2010, 08:50 PM
Check your radiator cap. If it is not sealing well anymore, it will not hold pressure & the truck will overheat. (Slight antifreeze smell with no visible leaks as well)

dboat
06-08-2010, 09:20 PM
Check your radiator cap. If it is not sealing well anymore, it will not hold pressure & the truck will overheat. (Slight antifreeze smell with no visible leaks as well)

good suggestion, along with the thermostat..

Dana

L8 APEX
06-08-2010, 10:18 PM
Electric fan kit? The radiators are plenty large on these trucks. I have only seen one stuck stat. Are the hoses hot like it is circulating? Is it low on water, leaks? I have not seen any bad fan clutches either.

1stlightning
06-09-2010, 11:05 PM
I will check the radiator cap. I was also under the impression that if a thermostat broke, they are designed to break in the open position.

Terry, I'll check the hoses next time I use the truck. I am not seeing any visible leaks anywhere. It runs hot on the highway but realy heats up on the stop and go of the city driving.

dboat
06-10-2010, 10:54 AM
I was also under the impression that if a thermostat broke, they are designed to break in the open position.

Depends on the brand.. not all of them do that, to my knowledge.

Dana

1stlightning
06-17-2010, 12:10 PM
Well it was not the radiator cap. The hose feels hot. I drove it about 20 miles to work. Temp was fine. Left 10 minutes later and it started heating up after 10 miles or so. I'm stumped. Any more suggestions?

Sandman
06-17-2010, 04:57 PM
Any clue just how hot it is getting?

TXLIGHTNING
06-17-2010, 05:35 PM
Well it was not the radiator cap. The hose feels hot. I drove it about 20 miles to work. Temp was fine. Left 10 minutes later and it started heating up after 10 miles or so. I'm stumped. Any more suggestions? Sounds like a faulty thermostat man.

1stlightning
06-19-2010, 02:32 PM
Not sure on the temp. The needle is about 1/8" away from the H.

I have a 160 thermostat that I have not installed. Guess that is going to be my next step.