PDA

View Full Version : New phone scam

Moonshine
07-23-2010, 09:45 AM
Got a call on my cell phone yesterday. When the call came in the Caller ID showed 100. Just the three digits. Interesting. So, I answered, and got an automated recording that said "This is garbled Bank. Your card has been temporarily suspended due to garbled garbled by a third party. Please press 1 to be connected to our security department." The recording then repeated itself once, and when I didn't do anythng the call disconnected. Clearly a scam, but it did make me wonder what would have happened had I pressed 1. Would I have gotten a human who tried to get credit card info from me, or would I have simply been connected on some $32 call to a 900 number in Bangladesh?

Anyone else gotten one of these?

Shiner1
07-23-2010, 11:35 AM
Not exactly like that. I received a text msg that stated $4k+ had been credited to my account # 1234567 and I should call 12345667 to verify that it was the correct account. The account # was not any number that I was aware of so I didn't return the call or text.

charlie
07-23-2010, 04:22 PM
Got a call on my cell phone yesterday. When the call came in the Caller ID showed 100. Just the three digits. Interesting. So, I answered, and got an automated recording that said "This is garbled Bank. Your card has been temporarily suspended due to garbled garbled by a third party. Please press 1 to be connected to our security department." The recording then repeated itself once, and when I didn't do anythng the call disconnected. Clearly a scam, but it did make me wonder what would have happened had I pressed 1. Would I have gotten a human who tried to get credit card info from me, or would I have simply been connected on some $32 call to a 900 number in Bangladesh?

Anyone else gotten one of these?

Point bank. I get the same message on my work cell. And no I do not use my work cell to do business with any one unless it has to do with my job.

And the # I got was 000-000-0000