PDA

View Full Version : using Pam to keep rubber or bugs off car

Silver_2000
07-29-2010, 09:53 AM
Ive heard it recommended to use pam to keep bugs from sticking on road trips or rubber from burnouts off paint

one word of warning - there are about 8 diff kinds of pam - each is made with a different oil - some are near impossible to get off your car after you apply them -

I would have been much happier scraping the bugs off -

Cotton seed oil is a real pain to remove ... Pure Dawn dishwashing soap doesnt do a thing to it ...

:hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer::h ammer::hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer::ham mer::hammer:

zforce77
07-29-2010, 10:33 AM
I use a product called Good Stuff that I use on my equipment at the golf course. Bugs and crap do not stick to my bumper and grill. Its made for plastic and rubber and puts Armor All to shame. http://www.seligindustries.com/products/products.aspx

gagspa
07-29-2010, 10:42 AM
I used a bra on my Mustang and then put Pam on the bra. It worked great, and the bugs just wiped off when I got to Nashville. But like you said, the little bit that got on the paint took about an hour to get off.

tiffo60
07-29-2010, 02:32 PM
I have heard of people spraying WD40 on there fenders at the track to keep the rubber from sticking

TXLIGHTNING
07-29-2010, 02:33 PM
Slap sum KY Jelly on there while ur at it :evil

Mark #2
07-29-2010, 06:53 PM
I have tried pam, and I say no.
I have tried WD40 and say okay.

A good coat of wax seems to be the best.
and WD40 works great to remove pam and rubber.

Sandman
07-29-2010, 09:37 PM
Geddex Burnout Guard.

**Edit**

I can't seem to find it for sale anymore...

Silver_2000
07-29-2010, 10:35 PM
burned more than 3 hours scrubbing to remove residue and Im only about 90% done
Simple green was the only thing that really dissolved the residue - even that took a LOT of elbow grease

Didnt try wd40 - should have

dboat
07-29-2010, 11:41 PM
maybe an SOS pad... :evil

I am sure I have something here that would cut right through it..

Dana

Mark #2
07-30-2010, 06:31 PM
burned more than 3 hours scrubbing to remove residue and Im only about 90% done
Simple green was the only thing that really dissolved the residue - even that took a LOT of elbow grease

Didnt try wd40 - should have
Simple green, I should be a salesman for them, I believe this is one of the best products ever invented.

I wonder why they didn't wash the birds in it. It is biodegradable and much better than dawn as it does not seem to remove the oils in my skin as much as Dawn.

Silver_2000
07-30-2010, 07:00 PM
maybe an SOS pad... :evil

I am sure I have something here that would cut right through it..

Dana

While I appreciate your offers, the car was covered in black dirt and bubbles of cottonseed oil - It looked really bad. Something had to be done before it got worse. I wouldn't have left it for 2 or 3 weeks

I bought some wax since the simple green and other detergents removed and waxes or polishes that were on there..

Ive used wd40 as a solvent hundreds of times - I wished I though of ito to give it a try.

Sixpipes
07-31-2010, 08:52 AM
Sounds to me like Dawn and Pam are a couple of trouble makers. I would stay clear of them if I were you guys. First it's your vehicle and before you know it, they're in your house and your bank account. I know stuff. :cool:

dboat
07-31-2010, 09:01 AM
Sounds to me like Dawn and Pam are a couple of trouble makers. I would stay clear of them if I were you guys. First it's your vehicle and before you know it, they're in your house and your bank account. I know stuff. :cool:

Dennis, it sounds like you speak from experience with these two trouble makers.. Pics?

Dana

Sixpipes
07-31-2010, 09:18 AM
I heard Tony Orlando used to get up at the crack of Dawn and look what happened to him. :cool:

He ended up in Branson...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Orlando

04 RedApple
07-31-2010, 01:34 PM
Ive heard it recommended to use pam to keep bugs from sticking on road trips or rubber from burnouts off paint

one word of warning - there are about 8 diff kinds of pam - each is made with a different oil - some are near impossible to get off your car after you apply them -

I would have been much happier scraping the bugs off -

Cotton seed oil is a real pain to remove ... Pure Dawn dishwashing soap doesnt do a thing to it ...

:hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer::h ammer::hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer::ham mer::hammer:

YUP! Used Pam on the wife's car for a trip to Corpus a while back and as Doug states, would have been a lot easier to just deal with the bugs!!
Found a heavy spray of Detailer before the trip works pretty good!

Sixpipes
07-31-2010, 02:15 PM
The best stuff I've ever used for bug removal I bought at the Honda (motorcycle ) shop. It is something they sell for bug removal from motorcycle windshields. By far the best stuff out there. Tar is a different story...I just use mineral spirits. :cool:

Moonshine
07-31-2010, 05:37 PM
Tar is a different story...I just use mineral spirits. :cool:

Castrol Super Clean. I swear by the stuff. Also works great for getting tar or grease stains off of floor mats or upholstery. :tu: Never tried it on bugs or rubber, but I haven't found much it won't clean.

Mark #2
07-31-2010, 08:35 PM
I heard Tony Orlando used to get up at the crack of Dawn and look what happened to him. :cool:

Nope, I think he used to get UP...IN the crack of Dawn and look what happened to him.:D

ZeusSVT
07-31-2010, 08:45 PM
Never tried pam, now I know not to ever do it. lol. I have done the WD40 thing in the past on the Lightning when I would go down to visit the family south of fort worth. I started using a product called VRT from Adams Polishes after reading about it on the G8 forum a while back. Its supposed to be mainly for tires and trim, but some one had experimented with it on the paint for this reason and it worked. I put it on the entire front end of my car now when I am taking a road trip, and it comes right off when I get back. It helps a ton with getting the bugs off, and it seems as if most of them don't even stick to the car anymore. :tu: