PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Trouble

richardekirby
08-31-2010, 03:05 PM
I was driving around about 30 minutes ago and my transmission would not shift into 3rd. It was working fine and then after leaving a stop light, it would not shift to 3rd. No weird noise, no shudder, nothing. The trans temp was about 165*. When I got home I checked the fluid. The level was good and did not smell burnt. I have about 86K on the odo and the trans was serviced at 58K. No mods have been done to it. Anybody have an idea what's wrong?

Sixpipes
08-31-2010, 03:26 PM
Unless you accidentally had it in 2nd gear by mistake (in which case it takes off in second gear and stays there), haven't heard of that one. :cool:

richardekirby
08-31-2010, 04:04 PM
It was in drive, plus I tried to cycle it thru the gears manually and still had the same result.

I just took it around the block again and had no problems. I hope it was some random glich and not a major problem brewing.

Anybody have this happen before?

99WhiteBeast
08-31-2010, 04:31 PM
Nothing here on my 99. I have a 128k on the original trans.

I know the 01's had some issues with them but for the most part not a weak link on the truck. The 4R100 is solid.

richardekirby
08-31-2010, 06:47 PM
Nothing here on my 99. I have a 128k on the original trans.

I know the 01's had some issues with them but for the most part not a weak link on the truck. The 4R100 is solid.

Yeah, I was very shocked when it acted up. Like I said, no clunk, shudder, vibration, ect. It just would not make the shift to 3rd.

I'll let y'all know if I have any more problems with it. Thanks.

zforce77
08-31-2010, 09:59 PM
If it were mine I would take it to my trans guy Bobby @ Transmission Headquarters and tell him the problem let him pull the pan and see if anythings up. If it looks good than service it again. This guy is the best I have seen around town and stands behind his work. Shops been around for 35+ years or more.

richardekirby
09-01-2010, 12:47 PM
If it were mine I would take it to my trans guy Bobby @ Transmission Headquarters and tell him the problem let him pull the pan and see if anythings up. If it looks good than service it again. This guy is the best I have seen around town and stands behind his work. Shops been around for 35+ years or more.

Thanks for the tip. Ironically, I bought a trans filter and fluid last week when I picked up an engine filter and oil. I'm going to check the old fluid thoroghly when I drain it.

I drove the truck again this morning and had no problems. It's shifting as it has always done.