PDA

View Full Version : Ignition switch won't turn

rickgig
10-08-2010, 04:56 PM
hey guys... i accidentally put my key to our lincoln into the ignition and tried to start it. obviously it wouldn't turn so i put the right key in and it won't turn at all. so i am stuck in the garage. i read about the PATS system and i am not sure that is the issue. any ideas?

sometimes you have to wiggle the steering wheel to get the ignition to turn but this is not the case.

rickgig
10-09-2010, 09:16 AM
I found this post that looks like it might do the trick but there is nothing mentioned about recoding the lock.

Drilling it doesn't scare me but taking it all apart and not haveing anything to show the dealer that's in one piece, that scares me.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/982029-ignition-lock-cylinder-removal-with-no-key.html

Silver_2000
10-10-2010, 02:44 AM
im pretty sure the lock is mechanical not electric so the pats system shouldnt have any impact

rickgig
10-10-2010, 06:05 AM
It only comes into play when I replace the lock cylinder. Then I'll have an new key and the PATS system needs to know it.

L8 APEX
10-10-2010, 05:13 PM
YOU can replace the lock the PATS receiver is a separate piece. It sounds like a tumbler pin is stuck, maybe lube and jiggle the lock stick in it and pull it out a couple times.

rickgig
10-10-2010, 06:17 PM
Yeah... that's m thought too. The key for my Lincoln is cut where the pattern is wider than my Lightning key.

I've got it lubed with silicone, let is sit after giggling it, WD-40 and the same... and now an electronic components lube that cleans and frees parts without leaving a residue and giggling it.

So I am still hoping it'll free up soon.

rickgig
10-16-2010, 08:52 AM
I thought I would post up my results for the benefit of everyone.
I was unable to free up the lock cylinder with any kind of lubricant. I read tons of posts on how to drill out the lock cylinder retaining pin and then drilling down the center of the key opening and man, this stuff scared me thinking I would damage something in the process.
My problem started when I inserted the wrong key into the ignition, obviously it would turn and when I put the correct key in, nothing. Lock cylinder was frozen.
Some of the posts out there were successful in freeing it up with lubricant. Some left it sit for days and magically it would turn. I wasn’t that lucky.
Lock cylinders are over a 100 bucks from Ford although they were about 70 or so from Autozone and NAPA. Trouble with this was I would have two keys for the truck, one for the ignition and the other for the door and bed gate. Plus I had to make sure I did the PATS thing right of the new key wouldn’t work at all. I am sure this is not as difficult as I was thinking but it just sounded like a hassle.
Calling a lock smith would work but you’d be looking at 300 or so to fix it.
I’ve got AAA for when I am traveling on the road and to date never used it except for a brain fart battery jump. Dumb thing I did and I won’t go any further.
Called AAA and they called a lock smith… the lock smith said this was a “dealer issue” only. AAA said they would send a wrecker to tow me to the nearest dealer or they would call another lock smith to get a 2nd opinion and let me know. They found a lock smith and after what AAA would pay, my share was $110.09.
What they guys did was pretty impressive and I learned from it:
· They pulled off the bottom fascia from the steering wheel
· Pulled off the plastic shroud from the lock cylinder itself (the black plastic part)
· Cut a duplicate key without the PATS part and inserted it in the lock cylinder
· Took a vice grips and force turned the lock so they could push the indent in the “on” position and remove the lock cylinder (it turned a lot easier than I thought it would)
· Pulled it out and took the new replacement lock cylinder and rekeyed it to match my existing key, put everything back together and fired it up
All for $110.09.

mustgofaster
10-16-2010, 02:42 PM
Not bad... Sounds like AAA paid off this time. Sucks that your truck was down for so long, but good to hear that it is up now, and that AAA did what they could to hold up their end of the bargain.