PDA

View Full Version : 04 lightning problems

Mark DeNeault
11-05-2010, 06:32 PM
Mark here,
I am having couple of problems with my recent lightning purchase. The first is a clunking noise on the right side of the truck. My mechanic has done an hour + looking with no success, and the ford dealership worked on the truck for over 4 hours today and again with no success. The other problem which I think may be more serious, is the motor cuts out, and has done this about 6 or 7 times in a month and half. It is like it cuts out for a couple of seconds and then picks up. Kind of unnerving especially when it happens on the freeway like yesterday. Has anybody had similar problems.
Thanks Mark.

L8 APEX
11-05-2010, 09:10 PM
Look for a chip on the PCM in the passenger foot well. Old chips tend to work loose and cause trouble. Watch for the anti theft light to flash around 100k the chip key receiver in the ignition can start to fail. Check the battery cables, add a few grounds to the block.

Silver_2000
11-05-2010, 09:17 PM
clunking may be classic front end issue

search on lubing the tie rods

98Cobra
11-05-2010, 11:54 PM
clunking may be classic front end issue

search on lubing the tie rods

This, almost always.

dboat
11-06-2010, 12:38 PM
anti clunk washers..

Dana

zforce77
11-06-2010, 09:44 PM
Clunk washers http://chickenears.com/clunk_washer.htm

http://www.nhtoc.com/vbforum/how-articles/35420-how-install-clunk-washers-pics.html

jmlay
11-09-2010, 08:21 AM
I am betting idler arm is the clunk. It may not look warn but it does not take much to have the clunk. Jack the front end up watch as you try to turn the passenger wheel. You will notice the idler arm move & bind the drag link, hence the noise.

Mike

Mark DeNeault
11-09-2010, 07:32 PM
Well guys and gals,
I had the truck checked for bad computer codes today with no luck on the cutting out problem. The truck goes back in to the Ford dealership Thurs. for the clunking and they will also the other problem too. Will let everybody know when it gets fixed and what the causes were. Thanks for all the info as copied them to present to the dealer.
Mark.

Mark DeNeault
11-11-2010, 08:41 PM
My visit to the ford dealership today. The clunking noise is probably body mounts and the parts are ordered after the truck was there for almost 7 hours. Evidently ford has had a problem and this is where they told the dealership to check and put their sound sensors. Sure enough, this is where the noise is coming from. Now about the other problem, the hiccup or cutting out. The service guy thinks it is a coil going out. It will not cause an engine check light until it gets real bad. So I have to wait until that happens or my engine goes south I guess. I want the warranty to cover that for sure. Used vehicle, 6 months, 6000 miles. This is where I stand until the body mounts come in.
Will keep everybody informed.
Mark.

gbgary
11-11-2010, 08:54 PM
i forgot about the clunk washers. mine had the clunk. i had my clunk washers installed while getting an alignment done at the dealership. no more clunk.

Beaudee
11-12-2010, 07:45 PM
Mark here,
I am having couple of problems with my recent lightning purchase. The first is a clunking noise on the right side of the truck. My mechanic has done an hour + looking with no success, and the ford dealership worked on the truck for over 4 hours today and again with no success. The other problem which I think may be more serious, is the motor cuts out, and has done this about 6 or 7 times in a month and half. It is like it cuts out for a couple of seconds and then picks up. Kind of unnerving especially when it happens on the freeway like yesterday. Has anybody had similar problems.
Thanks Mark.

I had similar problems,the Ford Dealership (Ford Country Of Lewissville)Had my truck for 2 weeks and couldnt figure out why mine was stumbling.Turned out it was an O2 sensor intermit. dropping 4 cyls..It would only do it once in a while and 2 times when i took it in they couldnt reproduce the problem. and gave the truck back.Check 02 sensors,wires around exhaust area.Mine was an 2004 with 1500 miles on it when i had the problem,just a bad 02 sensor out of the box.The sensors(one on L/H and R/H) will drop the L/H or the R/H bank/cylinders.:tu:As far as clunking,all gen 2's do it no worrys!!

Beaudee
11-12-2010, 08:03 PM
I have heard of IAC causing problems,personally never had any issues with one.Your best bet is let Terry (L8 Apex) look @ it if he is still available.Good luck.Personally i would change the 02 sensors,cheap easy fix.Is your location in Redding Pennsylvania?

Mark DeNeault
11-13-2010, 08:04 PM
I actually live in Redding Calif, the northern part of the state. As of today, the truck has not hiccuped in the last 4 days so maybe resetting the computer did something and will see on that issue. The ford dealership has this one last chance to fix the clunk noise as this is costing me a lot of money for a truck I have owned for less than a month and a half.

Thanks.
Mark.

Silver_2000
11-13-2010, 10:08 PM
Welcome but I have to ask

how did you end up on a Texas Lightning site ??

Beaudee
11-14-2010, 01:18 AM
I actually live in Redding Calif, the northern part of the state. As of today, the truck has not hiccuped in the last 4 days so maybe resetting the computer did something and will see on that issue. The ford dealership has this one last chance to fix the clunk noise as this is costing me a lot of money for a truck I have owned for less than a month and a half.

Thanks.
Mark.

Get some of these http://www.metcomotorsports.com/proddetail.asp?prod=MCW0001 .Personally i like the self aligning/clunking front end(i dont have the klunk washers and never will) LOL.I hear a clunk once in a while but never had 1 alignment in the 7 years i owned the truck and it wears tires perfectly.:burnout: One for the kids LOL http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/24223 :tu:

Mark DeNeault
11-14-2010, 08:50 PM
Silver,
Since I started having the problems I began looking for sites on the net to maybe get some help. I just happened to find this one, and it has been real helpful as I have force fed the dealership with info. I also noticed something today while out checking for the mice problem we have where I live(out in the country) to see if they were chewing anything up under the hood(they eat anything, especially wires and insulation). That is another story, but today when I opened my drivers side door and moved it back and forth, there was a kind of noise that was coming from the hinge area and could be a area where they need to check if their body mount thing does not work. My very long answer for joining the site.
Mark.