PDA

View Full Version : Having intermittent problem

zforce77
11-23-2010, 07:19 PM
I drove my truck to the insurance agent office 3 miles away went in for maybe 3 minutes and truck would not start. It would spin over but no start. I looked under the hood, checked fuse box but found nothing. Got back in the truck and started right up. I drove home and parked in the garage. Came out Friday to run it down to the gas station and when I got back in it did the same thing, no start. Another peek under the hood and tried to start again but no start. I waited a few minutes and started right up. I took it out today and ran it up the freeway for about 10 miles, brought it home, let it sit for 10 minutes and kept on starting. Im lost on this one so any ideas what to look for? I have new plugs and fuel filter.

Mark #2
11-23-2010, 07:29 PM
I drove my truck to the insurance agent office 3 miles away went in for maybe 3 minutes and truck would not start. It would spin over but no start. I looked under the hood, checked fuse box but found nothing. Got back in the truck and started right up. I drove home and parked in the garage. Came out Friday to run it down to the gas station and when I got back in it did the same thing, no start. Another peek under the hood and tried to start again but no start. I waited a few minutes and started right up. I took it out today and ran it up the freeway for about 10 miles, brought it home, let it sit for 10 minutes and kept on starting. Im lost on this one so any ideas what to look for? I have new plugs and fuel filter.
Gen1 or 2

zforce77
11-23-2010, 07:55 PM
Sorry Gen 2 2003

L8 APEX
11-23-2010, 08:28 PM
Watch to see of the anti theft light is flashing while cranking. It sounds like the PATS system if crank no fire.

Mark #2
11-23-2010, 08:30 PM
Sorry Gen 2 2003
Do you have an external chip, what are all your mods?

zforce77
11-24-2010, 07:05 AM
Thanks Terry. Mark have a 4 Lb lower pulley and purchased Terry's tuner and download when he put the pulley on it. That's about all I have that I know of. I am doing some testing with my alarm, I put it is valet yesterday and tried to simulate the problem and did not have a problem. I know my alarm installer pulled the chip out of the key and was put on the steering column somewhere but this is the third truck he has done for me like that & have had to problems but I could have one now. I will look for the theft light blinking if it does it again.

L8 APEX
11-24-2010, 11:59 AM
When they put the PATS chip in the column you lose that theft protection. They are supposed to use the correct PATS bypass module like DEI's PK ALL. That is separate from this issue though.

http://www.caraudio-caralarms.com/dei-xpresskit-pkall.html

99WhiteBeast
11-24-2010, 02:34 PM
Ground issue of some kind?

zforce77
12-20-2010, 04:03 PM
Had to take it to the dealer, replaced the transceiver to the tune of $378. That included the diagnostic, labor to replace, tax AND miss. supply's/ hazard waste removal at $26.51. WOW must have been carring some hazardous waist around in my truck I didn't know of. Ya I know there is a miss charge for every car that comes in but $26 worth and I bet the tech didn't even get his hands dirty fixing my truck. Thats one of those charges they don't tell you about or is in the fine print when you sign the work order. :nono:

99WhiteBeast
12-20-2010, 06:56 PM
Had to take it to the dealer, replaced the transceiver to the tune of $378. That included the diagnostic, labor to replace, tax AND miss. supply's/ hazard waste removal at $26.51. WOW must have been carring some hazardous waist around in my truck I didn't know of. Ya I know there is a miss charge for every car that comes in but $26 worth and I bet the tech didn't even get his hands dirty fixing my truck. Thats one of those charges they don't tell you about or is in the fine print when you sign the work order. :nono:

That's bulsh right there. I can see it if there is some fluid, tires, or battery to dispose of but for the switch itself that isn't right IMO.

Silver_2000
12-21-2010, 12:17 AM
thats one fee that includes everything from cleaning supplies to disposal to whatever ... not used on every vehicle ...

Mark #2
12-21-2010, 08:55 PM
That's bulsh right there. I can see it if there is some fluid, tires, or battery to dispose of but for the switch itself that isn't right IMO.
Must not be RoHS, i.e. Pb solder