PDA

View Full Version : water under hood

Mark DeNeault
12-08-2010, 07:52 PM
Still working on my first two problems with my L and hopefully will get them taken care of by next week. This new problem is water getting under hood while it is raining. In 40+ years of driving, with many vehicles, I have never, and mean never, have had water come in under the hood from a light rain or even a hard rain. Called the dealership parts dept., no rubber protector for under front of hood and was wondering if anybody else has had this problem? Water was on the under hood and almost over the radiator. Not a big deal unless is gets my out in the open air filter sopping wet, and then it will be a big deal. Thanks for any help.
Mark.

Mark #2
12-08-2010, 08:12 PM
Okay, every vehicle I have ever owned gets very wet under the hood when it rains, some when not driving, VWs and Porsches as examples.
Acura, Chevy cars/trucks, and Ford trucks while driving.
The air and water does go through the radiator to the fan and then to the assy pulleys and belts and distributes it all over a front engined vehicle. :icon_confused:
You should not be running an open hot air intake/filter. Let's not start that discussion again, they are not CAIs just higher volume filters.

Mark DeNeault
12-09-2010, 01:31 PM
Mark #2,
The filter that I have is by AEM and not enclosed as the stock filter. I understand that water goes through the radiator and into engine compartment etc.. The water I am talking about is from the hood/body gap on front of truck, and the water is literally dripping from underneath of hood itself. My last truck, chv 4x4 even at do it yourself car wash, high pressure wand never had water under hood. The whole top of my radiator shroud is wet and it just seemed that there should be a rubber barrier for better sealing of this area. Obviously I am wrong. Thanks for the reply.
Mark

Mark #2
12-09-2010, 08:12 PM
Mark #2,
The filter that I have is by AEM and not enclosed as the stock filter. I understand that water goes through the radiator and into engine compartment etc.. The water I am talking about is from the hood/body gap on front of truck, and the water is literally dripping from underneath of hood itself. My last truck, chv 4x4 even at do it yourself car wash, high pressure wand never had water under hood. The whole top of my radiator shroud is wet and it just seemed that there should be a rubber barrier for better sealing of this area. Obviously I am wrong. Thanks for the reply.

Mark
Understand, engine compartments are designed to get wet, that is why they don't have open filters.

I have open filters on a Porsche and one day it rained and then the temp dropped and froze them solid.
That was a fun day taking them off in office clothes at work in the freezing rain so I could get the car started, I was frozen solid too.

Mark DeNeault
12-10-2010, 07:38 PM
Mark#2
That is kind of funny about the porsche deal. Don't think I will have to do that here where I live in Calif.. We do not get much snow or super cold weather, although once in a while it does get into the 20's. Now about open filters. I have owned about 30+ cars since I have been driving, and there were a couple that did have open filters. The main one was my 69 Z-28 Camaro. That car got washed every week, but the hood was flat and not hanging over, so, no water under hood. I would trade the L in a heart beat for that Camaro. Orange with white stripes and better mpg than the L. On the road it got a consistent 17+ at 70 mph. I do appreciate your reply and I will fix the water problem.
Mark.

Silver_2000
12-10-2010, 08:32 PM
Mark#2
That is kind of funny about the porsche deal. Don't think I will have to do that here where I live in Calif.. We do not get much snow or super cold weather, although once in a while it does get into the 20's. Now about open filters. I have owned about 30+ cars since I have been driving, and there were a couple that did have open filters. The main one was my 69 Z-28 Camaro. That car got washed every week, but the hood was flat and not hanging over, so, no water under hood. I would trade the L in a heart beat for that Camaro. Orange with white stripes and better mpg than the L. On the road it got a consistent 17+ at 70 mph. I do appreciate your reply and I will fix the water problem.
Mark.

of you want MPG on the highway get an LS2 C6

28 on the highway - not kidding

6th gear is no fun but it gets 28

Mark DeNeault
12-11-2010, 09:26 PM
I guess I must have posted a stupid question about the water under hood as I have read the replies. I have figured out a fix and will take of it when money allows.
Mark.

Mark #2
12-11-2010, 09:35 PM
I guess I must have posted a stupid question about the water under hood as I have read the replies. I have figured out a fix and will take of it when money allows.
Mark.
You only got one opinion, so I wouldn't read too much into it;)

Sixpipes
12-12-2010, 06:05 PM
Well, if I don't want water under my hood, I don't drive in the rain. Otherwise, it gets everywhere and when you have shiny aluminum parts in the engine compartment, it sucks. I think it is just a result of the intercooler design and the need for the engine compartment to have plenty of air for intake and cooling. :cool:

Mark DeNeault
12-12-2010, 07:34 PM
Not trying to read to much in to the single answer, it is just that I never had water dripping off the under hood of my vehicle in a misting type rain. The fix should be simple and will eventually tell the results. I am still working on the other two problems so get the important ones taken care of first. Thanks again for the replies.
Mark.

Moonshine
12-12-2010, 11:37 PM
Still not sure I understand the issue. Perhaps you could post a pic of your engine compartment? Maybe you're missing a shroud somewhere? My L. was my daily driver and it got driven in rain/snow/ice/mud/whatever. And I had an open element air filter (PSP). Sure, I got road spray in the engine compartment, but never enough water to cause any concern. Certainly not enough to wet the filter element.

Mark DeNeault
12-13-2010, 07:59 PM
I wish I would have taken a picture but may have had to tried to figure out how to post it. I am not real computer genius. I have a great computer i-Mac but sitting on my desk, it is smarter than me LOL. I am not exactly sure what is happening, but I am sure where it the water is coming from. The water was actually dripping off the underneath of the hood onto the filter, etc. Obviously the engine is hot enough to just make the water evaporate, but the rest of the compartment does not have that luxury. When the replies say that is normal for engine compartments, I just disagree. Thanks for the reply.
Mark.