PDA

View Full Version : New '04 Sonic Blue Owner - Aubrey, TX

rybitron
12-28-2010, 10:01 AM
I'm Ryan and I just picked up an '04 Sonic Blue with 90K on the clock from Bill Utter Ford in Denton. The previous owner of the truck has a very nice intake installed as well as dumped mufflers (haven't had a chance to see if I find the brand on them). I'm unsure if the truck has been modified in any other way but I was under the impression that 8-9psi was the stock boost...? I'm seeing over 10 psi with a load...

Also, I'm getting what appears to be spark blow out at the top of 2nd, in 3rd, and when I roll into it in 4th. I have a 3,000 miles, 3 month warranty from Bill Utter and I'm thinking I need to go back and get the COPs and Plugs replaced as the truck is now idling very rough.

If anyone recognizes the truck, it has been in Allen and Frisco, so maybe someone here can tell me if it does indeed have anything done to it. Thanks

99WhiteBeast
12-28-2010, 11:04 AM
Congrats on the truck. You will normally see a few lbs of boost extra especially in colder weather. It may also have a bigger pulley on it as well.

You may have toasted an electrode or two if it detonated- make sure run nothing but 93 octane and if you here pinging (detonation) get out of it.

Be careful pushing it hard (especially top speed runs) without knowing the tune and plug conditions. Many have popped a motor in colder temps.

SILVER2000SVT
12-28-2010, 11:48 AM
^^
It's really common for owners to install a larger crank pulley or a smaller blower pulley to get a little more boost pressure. This is considered safe if accompanied with the proper tune.
Unfortunately, It is very typical for the former owner to remove any tuning to bring the truck back to stock so they can sell their tuning device. It is also common practice that the dealer reflashes the stock tune back into the ECU and ignores the aftermarket pulleys. In either case, more boost with a stock tune (or bad tune) in cold weather is a guaranteed recipe for a blown motor.

Like 99whitebeast said: You may have gotten lucky and just melted a couple of spark plug electrodes. Also the dealer was probably cheap and filled you up with regular 87 octane. Big no-no!

Beautiful truck! My favorite Lightning color...

rybitron
12-28-2010, 12:34 PM
As far as having someone local take a look at it, who do y'all suggest taking it to? I'm thinking it is just bad plugs....it is fine out of boost and revving in neutral with no load....

Yeah, I really dig the Sonic Blue...I had an RSP Supra and absolutely love that color.

kirkmears
12-28-2010, 05:23 PM
Welcome :beer:
I would take it back to Ford since it's still under warranty. At least call them to discuss your options since you bought it from them & it ain't runnin like it's supposed to...

That needs to be resolved asap before you join an elite club...

kirkmears
12-28-2010, 05:32 PM
where are the exhaust outlets\tips :icon_question:

Mark #2
12-28-2010, 07:26 PM
Start researching/measuring things. Upper pulley, lower pulley diameter.
Post pictures of the intake, what MAF
Headers, short or long, cats?
External chip or what program is in the computer, did the dealer reflash it, they should have a record.
You need to research or there will be a hole in the block.

Silver_2000
12-28-2010, 10:35 PM
figure out which bonedddys the meet is at - bring your truck and some experienced eyes may be able to help with some details

In2deep
12-29-2010, 01:00 AM
I would park it at the dealership till they fix it..

dboat
12-29-2010, 07:44 AM
figure out which bonedddys the meet is at - bring your truck and some experienced eyes may be able to help with some details

Since you have a three month warranty, this is a good idea. The meet is next week somewhere and you would have several good sets of eyes to tell you what you have. It might be as simple as a bad fuel filter. I would still have the dealer fix it.

Dana

1993_mullet12
12-31-2010, 03:30 PM
welcome to the fun glad to see ya made it over