PDA

View Full Version : clunk noise and hicup problem

Mark DeNeault
01-07-2011, 07:40 PM
I have posted about my two problems before and have solved the hiccup problem at the tune of $500.+ . MAF and EGR valve were the culprits. These items were not covered under my 6 month warranty unfortunately for me so had to pony up. Had clunk washers installed also today and that did not solve the clunk problem as the noise is loud and clear in the right rear or mid section of the truck. Body shop is next week to do some serious research. It might be front side of right rear spring perch. Will keep everybody informed as this has become very frustrating.
Mark.

In2deep
01-07-2011, 11:30 PM
How many miles on truck? Is it lowered?

Mark DeNeault
01-08-2011, 07:47 PM
Reacted to quickly. The hiccup is still there. In2deep, the truck has 57000 miles on it, and now it has a new maf sensor and egr valve. The hiccup happened twice today under moderate throttle as was only pulling away from a stop sign each time, at less than 15-20mph. It is acting like I am taking my foot off the throttle for a split second and then it continues on with no problem. I have gotten on the throttle more briskly, and it runs great, with no hiccups or hesitations whatsoever. This is why it is frustrating. But now my service engine soon light is no longer on. I had hope this would have solved the problem as the code the computer showed was engine running lean on one bank. I am wondering if it is one of the ox sensors.
Will continue to work on it and keep ya all informed.
Mark.

dboat
01-08-2011, 08:24 PM
Reacted to quickly. The hiccup is still there. In2deep, the truck has 57000 miles on it, and now it has a new maf sensor and egr valve. The hiccup happened twice today under moderate throttle as was only pulling away from a stop sign each time, at less than 15-20mph. It is acting like I am taking my foot off the throttle for a split second and then it continues on with no problem. I have gotten on the throttle more briskly, and it runs great, with no hiccups or hesitations whatsoever. This is why it is frustrating. But now my service engine soon light is no longer on. I had hope this would have solved the problem as the code the computer showed was engine running lean on one bank. I am wondering if it is one of the ox sensors.
Will continue to work on it and keep ya all informed.
Mark.

is this the old cylinder interrupt for the 1-2 gear shift?

Dana

Mark DeNeault
01-09-2011, 08:06 PM
I have been driving around town in the OD mode and as I said in my last post, I had just pulled away from a stop sign and it just hiccups or hesitates for a split second. This has been happening from the second week of owning the truck which is only 3 months. From what I have read, the coil packs are not a strong point of this vehicle. Also the ox sensors could also be a culprit. Nothing but money being put in this truck, for only having it 3 months.
Mark.

Mark DeNeault
01-11-2011, 06:03 PM
Here are the most recent codes that came up as of yesterday P1000 B1318(VOLT) P0500 B1428 B1313 B1302 . I am having a feeling that I should not have replaced the maf and egr valve. The first code that came up after the service eng. soon light came on was lean on one bank of engine, and we checked it out, and that is the passenger side. Should have let my mechanic take care of it from the beginning. We are going to wait until there are enough cycles to see if the light comes on again. We kind of think it may be a coil pack from just what it is doing. The pack is probably not completely gone but is on the way.
Mark.

Mark #2
01-11-2011, 07:31 PM
Here are the most recent codes that came up as of yesterday P1000 B1318(VOLT) P0500 B1428 B1313 B1302 . I am having a feeling that I should not have replaced the maf and egr valve. The first code that came up after the service eng. soon light came on was lean on one bank of engine, and we checked it out, and that is the passenger side. Should have let my mechanic take care of it from the beginning. We are going to wait until there are enough cycles to see if the light comes on again. We kind of think it may be a coil pack from just what it is doing. The pack is probably not completely gone but is on the way.
Mark.
If a coil pack is not firing why would it be lean, wouldn't it be rich?
I fought lean codes for a while, it was the tune, but it was a fast ET tune.;)
What is in your computer?

Beaudee
01-13-2011, 12:23 AM
02 sensors can be bad and wont give a light/fault code.Since you are dealing with a warranty/dealer have them put the on board computer/monitor on and drive it and see if it will re-produce the problem.Not sure how bad it stumbles but mine was dropping 4 cyl's on the r/h bank,switched 02 sensors and it would drop L/H bank (problem solved 1 bad 02 sensor ).Good luck Could be as simple as water in the gas.Try some HEET additive,change the fuel filter see if theres a bunch of water in it when you remove it.

Mark DeNeault
01-14-2011, 08:46 PM
Right now I am just dealing with my mechanic and no more dealer. The hiccup only happens under light throttle and not just driving at steady speed. I am not a mechanic by no means, but read a lot and check on different sites for info. If under power, the ox sensors are no longer in a closed loop and are not trying to adjust fuel air mixture if I understand what I read about them. This is why I would suspect a coil pack first and not the ox sensor. But... I may be wrong. The lean on one bank code was not in the computer as it was only there when the check engine light came on. When the maf and egr valve were put in, the codes were cleared. At the present time I am waiting for ck engine light or something that we can check to get this problem solved. 4 months and almost a $1000. have been put in to fix and diagnose with nothing solved.
Mark.

PUMP
01-16-2011, 10:36 PM
Slight stumble (hicup) under light throttle is usually a coil pack starting to degrade. You don't notice it under higher load because the coil pack is not bad enough to missfire on every cycle and engine momentum carries it through. My brother-in law has a 2004 F-150 with a 4.6 liter V8. He had the same problem for about 6-months and Ford dealer could not (or would not) isolate it because the missfire was intermittant. We finnally fixed it by changing one pack at a time until it went away.

Beaudee
01-17-2011, 01:16 AM
Change plugs,coil packs,02 sensors,fuel filter,and forget about it LOL:cool:Cheeper than what you spent already. http://www.lightningforceperformance.com/vehicle/Ford/F-150_Lightning_99-04/Ignition_System/Ignition_Coils/grid/1 Have heard of a rotting fuel line in the tank(off a fuel pump). MY coil packs miss all the time @ idle but operate fine under load.My truck has 75K on it.Plugs on the Lightning also loosen after timee from boost.Less than 500 bucks for everything if you do it yourself.Check vacum lines,theres one behind the block by firewall famous for rotting.Get a 12 pack and get busy LOL

Mark DeNeault
01-17-2011, 07:29 PM
beaudee,
Truck has only 2500 miles on the plugs as had dealer put in before buying the L. I noticed today that it kind started a little hard as slightly hesitated before actually starting. If I didn't know any better, it almost feels like the truck may be loading up, and not burning all the fuel. It sounds like one of my old performance cars from many moons ago.
Mark.

Beaudee
01-17-2011, 09:54 PM
Sell it and get this truck http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/cto/2160400638.html :D Id change all the above (even the plugs) regardless of who just did it,do it youself to make sure its done right.One of the plugs might tell a story with one of the cylinders.

Mark #2
01-17-2011, 10:31 PM
Change the fuel filter, if that doesn't solve the issue.
Pull the plugs and post pictures, I am pretty good at reading plugs, not Jack Roush but have a good history with many vehicles.

Beaudee
01-18-2011, 12:16 AM
http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/cto/2160400638.html Anyone here know whos truck?Pretty good deal if its what it says. Gas is predicted to hit 5 bucks a gallon this year,wouldnt be a good daily driver :icon_eek:My last fill up was 66 bucks:hammer:Here we go again.Mark D. when was the last fuel filter change you had??Should change every 3 oil changes 10000 miles.You wont believe what a diff. it makes or the amount of water in em when you change em.Post up the plugs.Good luck Make a list of possible culprets and start with easiest cheapest and work your way down the list.I once changed 750,000 dollars of parts on an aircraft and it was a cheep easy fix LOL