PDA

View Full Version : Son wrecked by old woman

toddwarren
03-02-2011, 09:46 PM
Well today in Waco on the way to his baseball game, an old woman pulled out and rammed my sons pristine 2002 L SOB!!!
Fortunately he nor she was hurt but the officer did cite her for 2 different offenses.
This is the rub, I went to the Waco Ford dealership and looked at it.
Almost no body damage I expected alot of destruction on the side down by the pipes, but she hit the right rear wheel and bent the rear axle backwards about 2" so cop had it towed!
Sitting goofy currently to say the least. Thoughts????

In2deep
03-02-2011, 09:50 PM
:icon_smile: Sell it to me for 2 grand cash??

1993_mullet12
03-02-2011, 11:40 PM
dammit i hate that . good thing it didnt have alot of damage

In2deep
03-03-2011, 03:14 AM
Im glad no one was hurt..

dboat
03-03-2011, 08:46 AM
Well, not a good thing but at least it looks like everyone is ok.. get it fixed and back on the road. I am assuming the frame wasnt harmed, so a new rear axle shouldnt be a huge deal to have fixed. Is the wheel messed up? if so, going aftermarket on the wheels?

I guess I would make lemonade out of this lemon and take the time to do a paid for or partially paid for upgrade to the truck.

Dana

toddwarren
03-03-2011, 12:04 PM
No idea on the frame yet. I just finished getting the claim filed and fortunatley the ladies does have insurance in force (Farmers).
Now the Axle, I dont want a junk yard piece of crap! I want a new one for a Lightning I think. Not my fault why should I take less?
I have asked the body shop to take a look and see if anything else is messed up. My experience is insurance claim adjusters try to make you use salvage parts until they relaize you know you do not legally have to do that.

dboat
03-03-2011, 06:22 PM
No idea on the frame yet. I just finished getting the claim filed and fortunatley the ladies does have insurance in force (Farmers).
Now the Axle, I dont want a junk yard piece of crap! I want a new one for a Lightning I think. Not my fault why should I take less?
I have asked the body shop to take a look and see if anything else is messed up. My experience is insurance claim adjusters try to make you use salvage parts until they relaize you know you do not legally have to do that.

You are right, you dont have to take a junk yard piece.. so make sure its a Ford part that goes back in..

Dana

Silver_2000
03-03-2011, 07:09 PM
you may not have to take a refurb piece but you may also not be able to declare OEM only

1993_mullet12
03-03-2011, 07:19 PM
ya they allow u to claim oem as well i would defiantly do that

98Cobra
03-03-2011, 10:24 PM
Not everyone does. Many policies are written today that only authorize a new OEM part if a remanufactured one cannot be located. Since its coming out of her policy they are going to pay the least they can so expect this. You may have to fight them.

Also not a bad idea to see how much depreciation your L took from this and see if they will make that right as well.

toddwarren
03-04-2011, 09:48 AM
Good advice by all! I had one other experience with a wreck, I had a 560SEL back in the day and a lady head on mashed me, her fault.
Her company tried to get me to use an entire salvage front end and I checked with an attorney and he said tell them pound it. Anyway when new mercedes parts were figured it went totaled quickly.
The body shop guy at Bird Kultgen Ford in Waco where they towed the lightning said they have two techs that drive Ls as well and he will have them put it on a lift and see what really happened underneath.
I hope Farmers does not try and jack with me because I am not in the mood for that.I will keep you informed.

Shiner1
03-04-2011, 11:36 AM
Sorry to hear this Todd. Glad your boy is OK though. Good luck with the repairs..

toddwarren
03-07-2011, 03:34 PM
The adjuster is writing the report up as I type but the estimator at the Ford dealership said.

#1. New Axle housing
#2.New leaf Springs on right side
#3. New tire
#4. New Wheel rt. rear
L moulding cracked around the exhaust outlet
They are not sure if the axle itself is bent until they try and take it apart.

charlie
03-13-2011, 09:55 PM
Hit the insurance guy up for pay on diminished value. Watch his blood boil.

zforce77
03-14-2011, 09:05 PM
I did the diminished value on my sons truck & they ended up paying me $2800 for it. They didn't like it but they paid.

toddwarren
03-16-2011, 04:05 PM
Did you guys have to get a used car dealer write up something??
Heck Ford does not make alot of the parts that were damaged anymore, so I have no choice but use salvage rear axle housing.

Beaudee
03-16-2011, 11:55 PM
My daughter is 16 and learnen to drive,and no she doesnt ever(never will) drive the L..They have to learn to be deffensive,trust nobody and be a mind reader LOL..Im haven the trouble explainen that just cause you have a green/right away doesnt mean its safe.Drive more defensive.I feel for your son,my last motorcycle accident was from an elderly lady.Never the less ill never ride a street bike again or a dirt bike LOL..Hope all works out for you.:tu: