PDA

View Full Version : Beware of Vintage Colored Ranch

Moonshine
03-23-2011, 08:53 PM
Last September I bought an Australian Shepherd (Aussie) puppy from a breeder in Kopperl, Tx named Linda Konrad who runs a place called Vintage Colored Ranch, www.vintagecoloredranchaussies.com .

I thought I had done my due diligence before deciding to buy a pup from her. I went down in May and visited with her, I met the sire and dam, I checked multiple references, and everything seemed on the up and up. I paid a deposit and picked a pup out of the litter, eagerly looking forward to September when the pup would be weaned.

Citing ongoing computer problems, she had difficulty producing things like a purchase contract, but I thought "Hey, she's a dog breeder, not a computer wizard." At any rate, she kept stalling on producing promised documents like the OFA and CERF certifications for the sire and dam (VCR's Show Stopper Chicago and VCR's Gossip Girl Serena, respectively). And when I went to pick up the pup she cited recent heavy rains, a roof leak, and more computer problems as the reasons why she didn't have the AKC registration papers ready. Stupid me, I believed her and paid her in full without getting those documents.

She promised to send them immediately and said she was embarrassed, as she was usually better prepared for a buyer to pick up their pup. Well, the days became weeks, and the weeks became months, and despite repeated phone calls, emails, and excuses I never did get any of the promised paperwork.

Meanwhile, the first visit to the vet showed the pup had intestinal worms. When I called Linda to let her know, so that she could notify/warn other litter purchasers, she was very dismissive. After reading about a genetic disorder called MDR1 that herding breeds are prone to have I decided to have my pup tested. Sure enough, my pup is a double mutant for the MDR1 genetic disorder, meaning that at best, both sire and dam each carried at least one mutant gene. At worst, both could be double mutant. The MDR1 genetic mutation is manageable, as long as you know about it, but a responsible breeder should be breeding to eliminate the mutation, rather than perpetuating it.

After a final email requesting documents was ignored I finally filed complaints with the Better Business Bureau and the American Kennel Club. Neither organization received any response from her, so both were forced to close their investigations. AKC did inform me that I cannot register my pup as a purebred without the paperwork from her. So, essentially I'm at a dead end, other than trying to warn other potential customers.

Linda Konrad also runs a place called Lake Whitney Pet Resort, www.lakewhitneypetresort.com . Although I can't comment directly on Lake Whitney Pet Resort some caution might be appropriate given that she owns both entities.

I love my pup and wouldn't part with her for the world, but I am very frustrated that I paid $800 for a purebred Aussie and I ended up with an un-registerable pup with an unnecessary genetic mutation. As always, caveat emptor!

dboat
03-24-2011, 05:29 AM
Brian, I am really sorry to hear that.. your dog is such a great dog, but this has got to really get your dander up. I hope your pup does ok.

Dana

98Cobra
03-24-2011, 11:02 AM
This post is the 4th listing on Google already. Hopefully that warn others...

98Cobra
03-24-2011, 11:02 AM
Have you considered taking her to small claims court?

Silver_2000
03-24-2011, 11:11 AM
This post is the 4th listing on Google already. Hopefully that warn others...
The power of Google combined with an Established website
24 hours to get your message across...

Need a Tim Taylor Wave file here

http://www.hark.com/clips/nzspyskpqz-grunt

Moonshine
03-24-2011, 06:08 PM
Have you considered taking her to small claims court?

Sure, but getting a judgment is the easy part. Collecting on a judgment is an entirely different matter. At this point I'd be satisfied to warn off other potential victims/customers.

Silver_2000
03-24-2011, 08:13 PM
Lets add some more Google Key words

Dallas area Australian Shepherd breeders
DFW area Australian Shepherd breeders
texas Australian Shepherd breeders
problems experienced
trouble with breeders

dboat
03-24-2011, 08:21 PM
Lets add some more Google Key words

Dallas area Australian Shepherd breeders
DFW area Australian Shepherd breeders
texas Australian Shepherd breeders
problems experienced
trouble with breeders

breeders to avoid

Showtime
03-24-2011, 11:47 PM
MDR1 genetic mutation

98Cobra
03-25-2011, 10:08 AM
AKC scam

Sixpipes
03-25-2011, 12:09 PM
Gossip Girl Serena is a diseased bitch...

Shiner1
03-25-2011, 03:27 PM

oh hell!! :rll:

Moonshine
03-25-2011, 04:57 PM

Actually, you have to make it VCR's Gossip Girl Serena before it pops up on google, but searched that way this thread is the #5 hit. Keep it up guys. :tu:

thocai
04-22-2012, 12:27 PM
You are not going to believe this!!!

We have an Aussie from Linda Konrad at Vintage Colored Aussies. He has been amazing. When we acquired him, we met her at a show where she brought him for us and we never saw the ranch.

Recently, we drove to her ranch at Kopperl, TX. to see her new litters.

The entire scene was heart breaking for these poor animals. The 20 puppies were literally covered with ticks and chewing on horse dung. This is not an exaggeration, we are talking 100's per pup.

The 15 adult dogs were in chain link cages under the sun. She explained how the sun burned their coats and that prior to shows she uses hair coloring and bleach to make them look nice.

It appeared she could only keep one or two show dogs groomed; ones actively on the circuit.

Basically, I don't think she has the money to take care of the basics for the dogs. It was like a nightmare puppy farm you hear about.

Please, please, do not encourage her to continue as it is just plain animal cruelty, (perhaps unintentional)

We left without buying one of her puppies, basically voting with our pocketbook.

Moonshine
04-22-2012, 03:52 PM
I'm afraid I do believe it. If you have first hand knowledge of dogs being kept in that condition I strongly encourage you to contact the SPCA of Texas. I have worked with them and they will do everything they can to remove dogs from cruel conditions.

98Cobra
04-22-2012, 07:07 PM
I'm afraid I do believe it. If you have first hand knowledge of dogs being kept in that condition I strongly encourage you to contact the SPCA of Texas. I have worked with them and they will do everything they can to remove dogs from cruel conditions.

+1. Voting with your pocketbook is not enough in this case. You should contact the SPCA and let them investigate.

Silver_2000
04-22-2012, 07:18 PM
well it seems google is working ....

sad for the pups