PDA

View Full Version : Gen 2 Clunk Washers

gagspa
04-22-2011, 05:44 AM
I keep saying that I am going to get the clunk washers for the L, but haven't yet. It looks like the driver side is eating the inside corner of the tire again, despite having the front end mostly rebuilt. I can't help but wonder if the front end clunking is knocking it out of alignment.

My question is, aren't you supposed to just put the clunk washers on the driver side? I ask because I have the clunk on both sides of the truck.

dboat
04-22-2011, 06:37 AM
I keep saying that I am going to get the clunk washers for the L, but haven't yet. It looks like the driver side is eating the inside corner of the tire again, despite having the front end mostly rebuilt. I can't help but wonder if the front end clunking is knocking it out of alignment.

My question is, aren't you supposed to just put the clunk washers on the driver side? I ask because I have the clunk on both sides of the truck.

I have them on both sides.

Dana

Sixpipes
04-22-2011, 08:22 AM
I have one on the driver's side. :cool:

Mark #2
04-22-2011, 05:53 PM
I have them on both sides.

Dana
IIRC, the only slotted hole is in in the drivers side lower A arm, so I don't know how you could have them on both sides. I only have them on drivers side.

dboat
04-22-2011, 06:02 PM
IIRC, the only slotted hole is in in the drivers side lower A arm, so I don't know how you could have them on both sides. I only have them on drivers side.

I have a very special suspension straight from the factory.. very special..

you should have gotten one too.. :D

Dana

Mark #2
04-22-2011, 06:04 PM
I have a very special suspension straight from the factory.. very special..

you should have gotten one too.. :D

Dana
http://www.nhtoc.com/vbforum/how-articles/35420-how-install-clunk-washers-pics.html

dboat
04-22-2011, 06:18 PM
http://www.nhtoc.com/vbforum/how-articles/35420-how-install-clunk-washers-pics.html

Yep, got that on both sides, very special.. :evil

Dana

Mark #2
04-22-2011, 06:25 PM
Yep, got that on both sides, very special.. :evil

Dana
Okay, but I don't believe there was ever slots on the passenger side.

dboat
04-22-2011, 06:34 PM
Okay, but I don't believe there was ever slots on the passenger side.

all I can say is very very special.. they were done at Firestone.

Dana

Mark #2
04-22-2011, 06:43 PM
all I can say is very very special.. they were done at Firestone.

Dana
We have a definition problem here, Firestone never had clunk washers, these were special oval inserts machined by an enthusiast...so you have none.
Star washers are not clunk washers.

gagspa
04-23-2011, 08:33 AM
So Mark, will putting them on the one side stop the clunking on both?

Also, I thought that this was a Lightning specific problem, but my 2010 does it too.

dboat
04-23-2011, 08:49 AM
We have a definition problem here, Firestone never had clunk washers, these were special oval inserts machined by an enthusiast...so you have none.
Star washers are not clunk washers.

sorry, I bought them and Firestone installed them... now that I think about it, must have been those other adjusting inserts..

Mark #2
04-23-2011, 02:14 PM
So Mark, will putting them on the one side stop the clunking on both?

Also, I thought that this was a Lightning specific problem, but my 2010 does it too.
Might be your steering stops that need lubrication?
but that will not help your tire wear issue. Do you have the oval insert type clunk washers, if not the star washers help to keep the bottom driver's side bolt from sliding in the slot.

gagspa
04-25-2011, 10:44 AM
Might be your steering stops that need lubrication?
but that will not help your tire wear issue. Do you have the oval insert type clunk washers, if not the star washers help to keep the bottom driver's side bolt from sliding in the slot.

No, I have not purchased clunk washers yet.

Mark #2
04-25-2011, 05:45 PM
No, I have not purchased clunk washers yet. Just so there is no confusion, this is what I call a clunk washer.

http://www.metcomotorsports.com/proddetail.asp?prod=MCW0001

dboat
04-25-2011, 07:21 PM
Just so there is no confusion, this is what I call a clunk washer.

http://www.metcomotorsports.com/proddetail.asp?prod=MCW0001

I think I got confused with the cam adjusters.. for the front end.. I think we just tightened my bolts down really tight instead of clunk washers, but I just might have to climb under there and see for sure. ..

Dana