PDA

View Full Version : any expereince with BridgestonePotenza RE-11

Silver_2000
05-24-2011, 05:47 PM
Im looking for tires for the Vette and I was going to go back with the Bfgoodrich Gforce TA KDW- But the fronts are on national backorder

Im now looking at
http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/bridgestone/logo_bridgestone.gif (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/bridgestone/bridgestone-tires.jsp)Potenza RE-11

Anyone used them before ?

Silver_2000
05-24-2011, 11:08 PM
well they are on national back order as well

now on to Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 ZP
Good enough for the Zr1 -- BUT about 300 more than my first choice ...

dboat
05-25-2011, 05:45 AM
well they are on national back order as well

now on to Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 ZP
Good enough for the Zr1 -- BUT about 300 more than my first choice ...

I have tried to stay away from Michelin, expensive and they are French.

Dana

dboat
05-25-2011, 05:59 AM
Doug, it looks like they have the Goodrich at tires.com, er Discount Tire.. plus they have the others with rebates galore... they also offer a Nitto tire for your car.. the Nitto does have a pretty cool tread pattern as well..

Dana

Silver_2000
05-25-2011, 07:14 AM
Doug, it looks like they have the Goodrich at tires.com, er Discount Tire.. plus they have the others with rebates galore... they also offer a Nitto tire for your car.. the Nitto does have a pretty cool tread pattern as well..

DanaI spent a few hours on the phone yesterday

Discount cant find them anywhere

oh and this review of the nittos - they arent french but they suck

I have the Z51 C6 Corvette coming from the Eagle F1 Supercar and all I can say is that this Invos are by far the WORST tires I've ever had. My Kumhos on other vehicle are far better than these. The sidewalls on these tires are too soft making my car sway if I take hard turns and fast lane change at any speed. If you're looking for high performance tires, STAY AWAY from INVOs. These tires should not be called high performance tires by any means. The thread design is what got me interested in getting these tires but thats the only thing good about it. The michelins are a little pricey ....Total "Out the Door" Price (http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/brochure/general/outTheDoorPricing.jsp) http://www.discounttire.com/images/kotspacer.gif $1,889.16

dboat
05-25-2011, 08:23 AM
just drive the Lexus until you can get some tires that work and are reasonably priced..

Dana

L8 APEX
05-25-2011, 10:11 AM
Donnie has had the Invo's for a few years on his 650hp Z06. He has been 184mph on them and everyone we run with likes them. I think John runs them on the Cayman S too...

99bolt
05-25-2011, 05:14 PM
oh and this review of the nittos - they arent french but they suck

Don't know what reviews you have read, but I have had good luck with the invos. They hook as good as can be expected and are wearing pretty good. Close to 15k on them and haven't hit the wear bars yet.

Silver_2000
05-26-2011, 12:40 AM
Don't know what reviews you have read, but I have had good luck with the invos. They hook as good as can be expected and are wearing pretty good. Close to 15k on them and haven't hit the wear bars yet.
the review I quoted was from Tires.com - tirerack doesnt sell nitto

The nittos are less expensive but they arent run flats and while I dont intentionally drive the vette in the rain they apparently have poor wet traction compared to other similar tires
Its good to hear that some locals have used them with good results though
decisions decisions

L8 APEX
05-26-2011, 11:22 PM
The RE11 looks like a very dry perf tire like the original KD. All solid trade blocks. The GoodYear DS2 looks like a rain race tire. Donnie says his Invo's are better in Rain than his F1 Supercars were... The Hankooks were great on the Lightning but they are Korean or such. The Michelin A/S plus ZP is my fav old man tire. It will grip and last forever.

PUMP
05-27-2011, 08:53 AM
snip..... The Michelin A/S plus ZP is my fav old man tire. It will grip and last forever.
That's what I run on my C5 and they are a lot quieter than the Goodyear runflats - and I am an old geezer. :tu:

Silver_2000
05-27-2011, 10:24 PM
Im leaning towards the summer version of that tire. Pricey

But it would be nice to not have to worry about being left in the lurch by a flat at night
and nice to be able to trust the tires some
the ones on there now have worn really well and stick pretty good but are getting old and Im sure will not stand the heat of speed for any duration ...

dboat
05-28-2011, 06:05 AM
Im leaning towards the summer version of that tire. Pricey

But it would be nice to not have to worry about being left in the lurch by a flat at night
and nice to be able to trust the tires some
the ones on there now have worn really well and stick pretty good but are getting old and Im sure will not stand the heat of speed for any duration ...
I understand the concern about a flat, but flats see pretty infrequent these days. Tires are just made so much better. And you dont wear tires to they are showing the different layers, so carry the tire flat stuff or get a membership to AAA. Pay for the AAA with the money you save on the cheaper tires.

Dana

99bolt
05-28-2011, 10:10 AM
I carry a small compressor and a plug kit. The cans of fix-a-flat are not good for the tire sensors, but it is better than being stranded!

Silver_2000
05-28-2011, 11:07 AM
I understand the concern about a flat, but flats see pretty infrequent these days. Tires are just made so much better. And you dont wear tires to they are showing the different layers, so carry the tire flat stuff or get a membership to AAA. Pay for the AAA with the money you save on the cheaper tires.

Dana

If I could get the tires I wanted that were non run flats I would consider it. But the first 2 choices are not available -

Also - I dont have any one I can call to "come get me " so I just feel more comfortable with run flats...

I have the corvette approved mini compressor and plug kit - dont want to have to find a hole in a tire at night on the side of 190 after stopping to have dinner and 2 beers with friends ....

99bolt
05-28-2011, 06:53 PM
Understandable, I don't like being on the side of the road with a flat. Alot of guys on the corvetteforum say good things about the bridgestone runflats.

Moonshine
05-28-2011, 10:12 PM
The cans of fix-a-flat are not good for the tire sensors

Fix a Flat is a :nono: for anything with a TPMS sensor. It will ruin the sensor.

L8 APEX
05-30-2011, 09:44 AM
It isn't the end of the world to replace a TPMS sensor if the fix a flat gets you home. I have had a few leaks in Vette tires over the years. The low pressure warning always gave me plenty of time to get home or to a safe repair facility. At 13psi my Kuhmo MX's were still fully functional and round.

Silver_2000
06-05-2011, 07:09 PM
Well today I went to NTB
And the kid there almost had a nervous break down when he kept saying

Ive never seen tires that expensive before ...

I finally told him you work at a tire store - STOP saying that
- focus on matching the tirerack price ...

Expensive Old guy run flats on order...

Moonshine
06-05-2011, 07:47 PM
Lol

dboat
06-05-2011, 09:35 PM
Those must be some expensive tires.. :D

Dana

Silver_2000
06-11-2011, 05:52 PM
well the tires are on now

The lack of spin will likely result in clutch problems :icon_lol::icon_lol:

But the car feels great

Those of you that wont but Michelins because they are french ....

"In addition to the Michelin brand, it also owns the BFGoodrich (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BFGoodrich), Taurus, Riken, Kormoran and Uniroyal (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Rubber_Company) (in North America) tyre brands"

You also have to avoid the other brands as well