PDA

View Full Version : Getting Set to Wrench on the Cobra - Anybody for a Beer and Wrench-Fest at Casa Liss?

tliss
01-27-2012, 02:29 PM
Haven't gotten all of the pieces yet, but I'm getting set to get under the Cobra to do some work. I need to do the following:

- New Water Pump
- Put all of the smog plumbing and pump on the motor (previous owner had the foresight to get rid of all of this stuff guaranteeing it would never pass emissions!!)
- Rip out the old exhaust and install new shorty headers, H pipe and cat back.

Not sure exactly when I'm going to get under this thing and get this all done, but I figured I could use some drinking buddies for the day(s) I'm on this (or someone to throw in a hand or two would be nice! :D). Anyone game? Again, not exactly sure when I'm going to do this, as I need to pick up all the parts, but when I do if anyone is down I'll let you know.

T

Flats Man
01-28-2012, 05:30 PM
Tom, before you put all that smog stuff back on, run it through the test first. When I built my 408, it had no smog stuff and was untuned and sounded terrible. When I pulled up to the place to have it tested, the Guys later told me that they didn't think I had a chance of passing. All I had was a high Nox reading and I added some stuff to my gas and drove it around a little bit and went back and it passed with flying colors. Just sayin'

tliss
01-28-2012, 09:07 PM
Fred,

This thing failed miserably 3 times last year, so it needs the work. Can't remember which readIngs were out but it was classified as a gross polluter.

Guess no one wants beer...

T

dboat
01-28-2012, 09:40 PM
Fred,

This thing failed miserably 3 times last year, so it needs the work. Can't remember which readIngs were out but it was classified as a gross polluter.

Guess no one wants beer...

T

Give folks a chance.. the board isnt as busy as it used to be years ago.. plus you dont have a specific date yet..

Hang tight, you will get a couple of the boys to help out.

Dana

Flats Man
01-29-2012, 07:20 AM
Hey Tom,
I am headed out that way in April and if it isn't done by then, I will work for beer! :icon_mrgreen:

L8 APEX
01-29-2012, 08:57 PM
Screw the smog crap! There has to be another way. Register it in a non smog county PO Box, find an sticker hookup and run a new v8 car through etc... Run alcohol etc...

tliss
02-01-2012, 10:32 AM
Screw the smog crap! There has to be another way. Register it in a non smog county PO Box, find an sticker hookup and run a new v8 car through etc... Run alcohol etc...

Not too concerned about the sexyness of power in the car...I want to clean it up and put it as close to stock as possible and not have to worry about it passing emissions. Plus the 93 Cobra is a sexy ride just standing there! Not going to mod this car...just want a nice ride with the power it comes with. Registering in another county is not feasible for me and too much of a pain in the ass in my opinion. And sticker hookups are not easy to come by from what I've seen.

Also just discovered the rear axle seal has given out as well! Freaking sweet! Need to do this too! Not sure I'm going to want to attempt to do this one...I'ma skeered :tex

T

Silver_2000
02-01-2012, 11:16 AM
come on Tom
You helped with enough group pictures to know its all about the details - When - Where - why - how much - what do I need to bring etc ....

tliss
02-01-2012, 02:38 PM
come on Tom
You helped with enough group pictures to know its all about the details - When - Where - why - how much - what do I need to bring etc ....

LOL...true :rll:

At this point I'll have to figure out when I'm ready to do it. Guess I'll post back when I get my sh!t together!

Tom

Mark #2
02-01-2012, 07:25 PM
Tom,
Unless this thing has serious mechanical, electrical, vacuum, or timing issues, 1/2 tank 87 octane+RXP will pass, IMO. If this motor had an EGR and it is missing or not working, that could be the issue.

The K5 and a 24 year old cat(doubt it does much anymore) passes at less the 50% of allowed with this fuel blend.