PDA

View Full Version : E-Fan Question

Beaudee
07-18-2012, 01:24 PM
Terry put the e-fan on my truck.Will the a/c compressor shut down/cycle/vents blow warm air(with the a/c turned on) if e-fan doesnt kick on when truck is cold.E-fan should immediately kick on when a/c switch is on right?Could this be causing my compressor to cycle on and off when you first get in truck.Down the road hot everything works fine(a/c serviced correctly with right PSI).Any help would be appreciated thanks.

LivinEZ
07-18-2012, 01:59 PM
Terry did mine as well. As soon as I turn on a/c, the fan kicks on. I don't get warm air unless it is winter time.

WA 2 FST
07-18-2012, 02:10 PM
Terry did mine as well. As soon as I turn on a/c, the fan kicks on. I don't get warm air unless it is winter time.

Ditto... mine has operated flawlessly for 3+ years now.

Beaudee
07-18-2012, 06:21 PM
Glad yours is all workin LOL.My efan wont come on untill block thermostat tells it to or i turn on switch.My a/c wont work till efan is on.Hopefully Terry will chime in here.Who makes the fans Terry used,i think i threw away all the info/box and my stock fan.

Beaudee
07-18-2012, 09:57 PM
Found this http://www.talonclub.com/forum/showthread.php?11545-LFP-Efan-update&highlight=efan Exactly whats going on.Anyone know where the relay is/part#.Any help appreciated Thanks Beau

dboat
07-19-2012, 05:50 AM
Buy the Bosch relay, not another brand, the other brands dont hold up.

Dana

LivinEZ
07-19-2012, 07:28 AM
Buy the Bosch relay, not another brand, the other brands dont hold up.

Dana
+1. Terry did change out my relay with one of these. Mine is under the plastic cover where the override switch is...right of battery on firewall. But that may just be the one for the override.

dboat
07-19-2012, 08:40 AM
I believe there are actually two relays in the system.. I dont have mine anymore and went back to the stock fan setup.. but I do still have my fan and wiring harness. I tried the relays from NAPA and Autozone, but they gave up quickly.

Beaudee
07-19-2012, 01:15 PM
The efan tied into the a/c is just stupid and askin for trouble.I like the system with just a switch and a thermostat runnin the fan.The fan kicks on after 2 blocks anyway.I never did like it in the winter when you put defrost on and the stupid fan kicks on.Anyone have a electric schematic of how this is wired in,i wanna keep it the way it is(broke LOL) but keep my a/c out of it.

L8 APEX
07-20-2012, 04:36 PM
The fan has to be tied to the A/C ass wagon. Otherwise A/C will trip out of head pressure and wont work in traffic etc...

It depends if it was the LFP kit or JDM kit or my super custom. Are the relays blue or orage based? The A/C taps out of the fuse block from a terminal extension. If it was one of my fancy kits I went under the fuse block and soldered a diode off the A/C relay coil wire. Open the fuse cover and see if you have a tapped wire there. LFP and JDM harnesses pulled A/C call and ignition from that box. Then there is a temp sensor in the drivers side block that pulls in at 185 and off at 170.

So for defrost and A/C the one wire starts the fan and for no A/C days the temp sensor starts the fan. The manual switch or track switch for JDM goes straight to the fan, LFP it closes a 2nd relay. A pic would help.

L8 APEX
07-20-2012, 04:40 PM
If yours is the melted LFP relay base then install a Bosch 70 amp work horse.
http://www.amazon.com/TYCO-BR-5000-75-Amp-Current-Relay/dp/B001PT9X9E/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1342820359&sr=1-2&keywords=tyco+relay

TYCO BR-5000 75-Amp High Current Relay

Beaudee
07-23-2012, 10:10 AM
Mine has 2 Tyco 30amp(black based) relays.Bought a new one(Borg Warner) and tried it both places (they only had 1 in stock)still no fan with a/c on.I didnt see any signs of damage to relays or bases.Manual switch works fine.Ill look @ fuse block.With ignition on and engine off will fan run with a/c switch on.O.K. i looked @ fuse block you tapped into a leg under should i try to change that relay?

99WhiteBeast
07-23-2012, 11:20 AM
The fan has to be tied to the A/C ass wagon.

We always count on Terry for that caring response- LMFAO- greatness!

toddwarren
07-23-2012, 01:09 PM
Yeah Beaudee you Ass Wagon! LOL Oh Terry does have a way with words

L8 APEX
07-23-2012, 08:48 PM
The red wire is ignition switched hot. If I remember correctly the A/C relay is ground switched from the PCM. That blk wire is going to the negative of the A/C relay coil. if your A/C is working then that relay is working. If you have two black relays the harness is probably the updated LFP, the old ones never lasted a year. It was the sockets that melted away. Both the temp sensor in the block and the tap from the A/C relay ground the fan low speed relay to close it. There is a diode in the wiring to keep the temp sensor from grounding the A/C relay and pulling it on.

I don't see the spade tap from the A/C relay so I probably just crammed the wire under it. Check that, if you have a power probe you can grab 12v positive and poke the black wire there to see if it is getting a ground when the A/C engages.

The proper way to grab off the relay is with a spade tap. I had fittment issues so I would notch the red plastic and cram bare wire under the relay and they worked well for years.

Like this. You can also go under the box and solder onto it.

L8 APEX
07-23-2012, 09:01 PM
Here is a picture since reading is fundamental...

Beaudee
07-23-2012, 09:42 PM
Yeah Beaudee you Ass Wagon! LOL Oh Terry does have a way with words Dont poke the bear LOL Hows it going Todd.My point was the a/c works fine even with low speed,once that block sensor tells it to come on it stays on,till you shut truck off and a/c works fine.Terry does has a way with words LOL

Beaudee
07-23-2012, 09:52 PM
Ill check it out.Thanks Terry
Here is a picture since reading is fundamental...

L8 APEX
07-24-2012, 07:05 AM
High speed is only for manual switch/track use. Daily driving will only cycle low speed.

Beaudee
07-25-2012, 12:52 PM
O.K. here we go i checked for a ground on the trick notch wire cram black wire (it was installed fine)(relay was out)(a/c switch on) and got no ground.I checked the socket and got a good ground all times(with wire removed).Never got a ground on that black wire any time fan on/off/switch on(the relay and wire was removed for all testing)I used an ohm meter.

L8 APEX
07-25-2012, 08:35 PM
That relay brings on the A/C compressor so it must be grounding to run the A/C. If you touch the black wire to a good ground does the efan come on? if the fan comes on with tempurature then the relay and that ground wire are working. So we only need to verify the diode and ground wire coming from the black wire to the low speed relay base.

Beaudee
07-26-2012, 08:40 PM
That relay brings on the A/C compressor so it must be grounding to run the A/C. If you touch the black wire to a good ground does the efan come on? if the fan comes on with tempurature then the relay and that ground wire are working. So we only need to verify the diode and ground wire coming from the black wire to the low speed relay base.

When i had the relay out,i always got a good ground on the lug where the black wire is.Ill leave the relay in pull the wire and ground it to see if fan comes on.Appreciate your help and patience.Been workin a lot of hours this week.

Beaudee
07-26-2012, 10:08 PM
O.K. left relay in jumped wire to (battery neg to be sure) eng on a/c on no fan.I found the diode on the bottom of relay base(easy to access).Checked with fluke meter 5 volts. both ways and got nothin(diode to end of wire).I think you got it Terry , diode is bad.Ill get one this weekend from radio shack and solder it in.Ill check back.Thankyou Diddley!!!!!!!

Beaudee
07-30-2012, 11:47 AM
Went to radio shack got 2 diodes for 1.29 LOL.Soldered one in.When i removed the old one i left a 1/2 inch of diode wire from the relay base which left a great solder joint.When i stripped back the heat shrink i saw the wire from the relay base was broke off right @ the diode(the diode is hidden in the heat shrink about 2 inch from the bottom of the relay).Everthing works fine now.Just for shits and grins with just ignition (key)on the block sensor will run the fan if its hot.When you turn on a/c the engine has to be running to kick fan on,it wont kick on with just key on(ignition on).If anyone else has this problem,the part# for the rectifier diode is IN4005.Thanks Terry hollar @ me when your in town next time ,i got a cold margarita for ya.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLXhPoxytsM Thumbs up,Ops check good LOL

Beaudee
07-30-2012, 10:22 PM
Terry crank this one till your ears hurt LOL.Happy my a/c is workin esp. with these 100+ deg. temps. Lightning driven tunes LOL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XO1J5q5-9uE

Beaudee
08-11-2012, 07:39 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DC4ZdPVp1gWhats your tune?????6 Disk or what ever you got LOL :icon_mrgreen:

WA 2 FST
08-15-2012, 09:57 PM
do you smoke?? that is hilarious.