PDA

View Full Version : Info I was Told By REM.

TxBolt
02-25-2003, 10:48 AM
I'm having REM put my heads on my block. Thay said that thay use a chemical Hyland or something to spray on the gaskets and tighten them down. Wait awhile pull the head and do it agian. Its suppose to keep the heads from leaking. Anyone know about this stuff?

MadMax
02-25-2003, 11:46 AM
Well back some time when building motors in dad's garage we used K&W Copper Coat on metal head gaskets used as a sealing agent (de-facto standard 25 years back) Please keep in mind this was a 1968 Firebird with a '68 GMC 4 bolt main dump truck motor :tongue:

TxBolt
02-25-2003, 12:04 PM
Oh, old school stuff! Rem working on me some prices. Up to 2300.00. Depends on what I will need. Like I know what I need. Full race is the full deal. But daily driver with race are better prices. I just want something to hold up and not make me wish later that I would have done this instead of that. I was told that the race ones might be a little overkill , whata think?

tliss
02-25-2003, 12:11 PM
I just want heads that won't leak or spit plugs. I'm likely going to get the plug holes in my heads helicoiled when I get the opportunity for now. Maybe port and polish as well! Full blown race heads may affect the daily drivability of the truck, but I don't know too much about that. Go where your heart takes you!

Tom

TxBolt
02-25-2003, 12:15 PM
I found it to be about 700.00 to port and polish my heads and thats not helicoiled or valves. It was cheaper to get new heads.

tliss
02-25-2003, 12:34 PM
:eek2: :eek2:

Well....I guess I needed to do a little more research! I'm not ready to do this yet...$700 to polish and port? Ouch. You're right, might as well get a new set for a few hundred bucks more...or get some from one of the L tuners for $2000 or so! Terry, when are you going to start doing heads?

Tom

devildog92
02-25-2003, 12:43 PM
Then there's me aka 'lets see how much boost I can run before shot-putting the plugs into the stratosphere'. I am buying Crawfors 6lb pulley, although I am trying to find the testicular fortitude to put it on. Maybe if I nuke a head I can convince the wife that I need to drop 2k on a set of stg II heads?

L8 APEX
02-25-2003, 01:22 PM
boost doesn't blow plugs loose plugs are the reason they launch. I have quoted three or four guys for heads, rods etc. Nobody wants to spend the dinero..

wesman
02-25-2003, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by 380hp
I found it to be about 700.00 to port and polish my heads and thats not helicoiled or valves. It was cheaper to get new heads.

Hmmm...i took mine to wells Racing and got a 3-angle valve job, port and polish, and heli coils installed in all 8 holes....it was $600ish w/ parts included.

--wes

devildog92
02-25-2003, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by wesman
Hmmm...i took mine to wells Racing and got a 3-angle valve job, port and polish, and heli coils installed in all 8 holes....it was $600ish w/ parts included.

--wes

thats not bad Wes. Where is Wells? Whats the difference between the 3 angle valve job and stg II headwork?

wesman
02-25-2003, 01:50 PM
Wells Racing is in Duncanville.

I honestly can't tell you the difference in the two, I'm not sure what the Stage II headwork entails.

--wes

cpeapea
02-25-2003, 03:19 PM
there is Jim Loden out in Balch Springs as well, he does some F'in a work (and im dead serious) but im not too sure about the prices. the guy builds racing motors for a living for the nhra guys. there is also another guy by the name of James Ray, im not too sure where hes at but i hear good thinks about him