PDA

View Full Version : Oil question for the motorcyclists or lubricant experts

Moonshine
09-19-2012, 08:05 PM
OK, when I got my scooter it didn't come with a manual. I found on the internet where 10w30 oil was specified, so I changed the oil, using Mobil 5000 10w30. I got a manual today and it says not to use oil with an API service specification of "Energy Conserving". So, I look at my bottle of Mobil 5000 and the circular API label says "Resource Conserving". Hmm, so I do some searching and it appears that Energy Conserving evolved into Resource Conserving. The only info I found relative to either being used in a MC/scooter is that both contain Moly, and are therefore not suitable for use with a wet clutch. Well, OK, but the scooter has a CVT, not a wet clutch. So, do I need to make a trek to the Honda shop for some GN4, or am I OK using Resource Conserving oil?

Braker85
09-20-2012, 05:50 AM
GN4 isnt expensive, if you feel you would be safer using it then by all means switch. I was always told by the honda dealers that moly was good for the clutch. I run a moly oil in everything from dirtbikes to the L.

Sixpipes
09-20-2012, 12:35 PM
Just based on the amount of heat your engine will create during operation. I would think you could probably use olive oil and still get functional friction protection. Of course I'm no expert...just sayin. :icon_cool:

L8 APEX
09-22-2012, 12:06 PM
Better get some Royal Purple in that monster! lol.

Maybe Honda has a universal statement to that affect in every manual regardless of clutch type. I believe energy conserving issue relates more to viscosity than clutch slip. IMO energy conserving refers to viscosity and oil cushion instead of clutch slip properties. I usually ran Valvoline ATV 10-40 or Castrol 4T. Now that I think about it most of the motorcycle oils are 10-40 not 10-30 so that is the difference. You have to look hard for a 10-30 that is non conserving. Does Honda ask for 10-30 or 10-40?

Moonshine
09-22-2012, 12:12 PM
10w30 unless operation over 100 degrees, then 10w40. I found some Castrol Hi-Mileage semi-synthetic that wasn't marked Resource Conserving, so I changed it and put that in there. Next time I happen to be by a Honda dealer I'll grab some GN4. The thing only takes .79 quarts per change.

Braker85
09-23-2012, 03:25 PM
At least oil changes are cheap lol