PDA

View Full Version : Service Engine Light Need help with Codes

Beaudee
09-29-2012, 07:17 PM
I got PO171 and PO174.Any help appreciated thanks,changed fuel filter few months back,just did plugs,cleaned ,sprayed intake sensors.From what i searched lean code both banks.Maybe clear the code and reflash tune it.My truck has been on warm tune for a year??When it acted up acts like running out of gas and missing.Happened a week ago,but after plug change today and drive around town it acted up again and threw the service light.

Silver_2000
09-29-2012, 08:53 PM
check fuel filter

make sure the "cleaning" of sensors didnt go bad

jmlay
09-29-2012, 11:01 PM
Seems to be allot of P0171 & P0174 going around lately. I began receiving these codes this week as well but I am not seeing any ill affects, then again I seem to drive lie a grandma lately. There is a huge list of items that could be causing this, the most common are vacuum leak(PCV &/or other vacuum lines), fuel filter, MAF sensor, DPFE or exhaust leak. Could also be a bad fuel pump EVAP canister, or EVAP canister valve.

In the link below there is an article for testing out the EGR, EGR solenoid, & DPFE. Good luck with your search.

http://www.lightningrodder.com/forum/showthread.php?t=100449 (http://www.lightningrodder.com/forum/showthread.php?t=100449)

Mike

Beaudee
09-30-2012, 09:57 AM
I lied,problem still there.@ idle its running really ruff and getting a loud blow in a beer bottle sound from air filter when you turn on A/C or put it in gear.I changed IAC,EGR solenoid so far.Ill try fuel filter and check o2 wire harnesses.Problem seems to come and go.Im almost thinking fuel pump.

Beaudee
09-30-2012, 01:22 PM
Fuel filter good,changed it anvway.Cleaned all exhaust sensors(i dont think thats the problem cause both banks show lean),vacum lines all good.Problem is @ idle.I did pull the vacum line off the EGR valve and engine smooths out perfect,put it back on and she dies.Nobody but Nappa has one.Gona try replacing that.Hopefully Terry will chime in im 200 bucks shot gunnin parts LOL.EGR iis a rusted piece of junk hanging off my intake and could be the blow in the beer bottle noise from the air filter i hear ittermitinly.

Beaudee
09-30-2012, 01:25 PM
Engine purs when i pull the small vacum line off top of EGR.Well changed EGR no improvements.To Ford she Go's.I still think its in the emissions system.zill probally have to take the vac. line off the egr just to make it to the dealership.It doesnt want to idle.

Beaudee
09-30-2012, 04:19 PM
check fuel filter

make sure the "cleaning" of sensors didnt go bad

Cleaning em seemed to help for awhile.Ive done all i can do. To Ford she goes.Think MAF sensor(i wont ask what that costs,im in the hole 300 although plugs needed changing) could be problem,whatever it is effects both banks.Where be that Terry fella when ya need him.

L8 APEX
09-30-2012, 05:14 PM
Did the EGR vac line melt against the EGR tube? Then there is the vac line that runs from the passenger side PCV Tee to the bottom of the rear lower intake for oil removal. Those tend to rot around this time. lean bank codes is un metered air getting behind the MAF. it is a common nuisance for all Fords. I usually disable the EGR in the tunes on my SCT so it should never command open.

Beaudee
09-30-2012, 05:31 PM
Did the EGR vac line melt against the EGR tube? Then there is the vac line that runs from the passenger side PCV Tee to the bottom of the rear lower intake for oil removal. Those tend to rot around this time. lean bank codes is un metered air getting behind the MAF. it is a common nuisance for all Fords. I usually disable the EGR in the tunes on my SCT so it should never command open.

How about it runnin perfect pulling the vac off the EGR,my truck will barely idle.What ever it is was off and on now its constant.

Beaudee
09-30-2012, 05:38 PM
Could have saved me 80 bucks LOL Im pulling @ straws need the truck for opening bow hunt oklahoma.PVC lines @ tee are wraped with insulation Ill look again Thanks.

Beaudee
09-30-2012, 07:06 PM
That vac line off the tee is a plastic tube(i ripped off all the insulation and traced it).I folowed it as far as i could,used a mirror did see some oil in the area of the boot but cant see the whole piture even with a mirror,no way my hands can fit back there.I did start the engine pull line off @ tee and got good vacume.Truck barely idles with it off or on.Pull the line off EGR and purs like a kitten.Ive had it with it.Going in to FORD.I want to school yard choke whoever came up with that vac plumbing behind the block.Should have been stainless braided line.

Beaudee
09-30-2012, 09:09 PM
"common nuisance for all Fords". Heck my truck wont even idle,id be happy with a nuisance What controls mixture @ idle besides IAC???

Beaudee
10-01-2012, 09:36 AM
Something telling EGR to open causing vacum leak.Mech. wants me to put it back to stock.Noticed my high fan relay melted,put new one in and other side crapped out.No fan now.Mech(didnt take to Ford using Christ. Bros) is hitting on a PCM problem.

L8 APEX
10-01-2012, 04:01 PM
Just cap the EGR vac line if that fixes it. The EGR is engaged by a solenoid below the valve. The EGR line should not have vacuum at idle, it only opens at temp and light highway cruise when it is active.

Beaudee
10-01-2012, 04:53 PM
Just cap the EGR vac line if that fixes it. The EGR is engaged by a solenoid below the valve. The EGR line should not have vacuum at idle, it only opens at temp and light highway cruise when it is active.

I replaced the solenoid from Orileys turned out it was bad(does your tune electrically charge that solenoid all time causing it to fail??).Put another one on good to go.When my Efan problem occured with the a/c i used the high speed switch so i would have A/C.The relay melted and wire harness is toast.Another product designer who needs a school yard choke LOL.I need a efan anything but LFP, they caused me too much missery.I cant drive truck till i get one.Anyone know where i can get a good reliable one locally.Need it yesterday.

L8 APEX
10-01-2012, 06:55 PM
The LFP is the only readily available harness. He may send you one free or cheap. With the new relays it is not a bad harness, nothing handles high speed for long, track use only. JDM uses a toggle switch as the amps are high. I used 10ga wire and 75 amp relays.
For temp just wire up the low speed to a 40 amp relay ignition switched from the fuse box. I thnk JDM has a different fan connector 50/50...