PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Pump Issue

SVTLght99
02-02-2013, 01:35 PM
Hello guys,

Since last week ive been dealing with a problem with my dad L but have since fixed it. Now my 99L is having problems. L was working fine until I got off work and started her right up. Now im no mechanic but can solve minor issues. But the issues i had with it were....hesitating badly to a point where it would die and start right back up but would be gasping for air. I would floor it but no pwer whats so ever and it would die. It starts back up but starts hesitating badly again and die. I was able to drive it home but at a speed going under 40mph. My 99L is basically stock.

So what i did was buy a whole new set of 8 coil packs and stock plugs. I changed them out along with a new fuel filter. Still the problem exists. My brother has a red 99L which his too is also stock. I thought it would be the MAF, TPS, and IAC so I switched his out with mine, connected my battery again, and still the problem exists. So it cant be either of those either. I finally got fed up with it and took it to a mechanic. He told me it was the fuel pump. Now my question is, where can I purchase both the pumps? Or do you guys think I could look elsewhere to find the problem? I really need to get my truck running. I really want to keep my truck stock without having to replace the pumps with aftermarket ones and having me to go with a bigger MAF and fuel injectors. I really dont have money for all that. Nor do I race. Any suggestions? Oh and the truck isnt throwing out any codes for me to check.

SVTLght99
02-02-2013, 01:49 PM
Hello guys,

Since last week ive been dealing with a problem with my dad L but have since fixed it. Now my 99L is having problems. L was working fine until I got off work and started her right up. Now im no mechanic but can solve minor issues. But the issues i had with it were....hesitating badly to a point where it would die and start right back up but would be gasping for air. I would floor it but no pwer whats so ever and it would die. It starts back up but starts hesitating badly again and die. I was able to drive it home but at a speed going under 40mph. My 99L is basically stock.

So what i did was buy a whole new set of 8 coil packs and stock plugs. I changed them out along with a new fuel filter. Still the problem exists. My brother has a red 99L which his too is also stock. I thought it would be the MAF, TPS, and IAC so I switched his out with mine, connected my battery again, and still the problem exists. So it cant be either of those either. I finally got fed up with it and took it to a mechanic. He told me it was the fuel pump. Now my question is, where can I purchase both the pumps? Or do you guys think I could look elsewhere to find the problem? I really need to get my truck running. I really want to keep my truck stock without having to replace the pumps with aftermarket ones and having me to go with a bigger MAF and fuel injectors. I really dont have money for all that. Nor do I race. Any suggestions? Oh and the truck isnt throwing out any codes for me to check.

Also, he was telling me that the lightning has 2 fuel pumps?

tiffo60
02-04-2013, 10:07 AM
They do have two pumps, you can buy the factory pumps 155lph I believe? or upgrade to the 255's, they run about 100-120ea I think from most vendors, JDM, JLP, LFP etc.

L8 APEX
02-04-2013, 07:02 PM
You can rent or buy a cheap fuel pressure gauge from AutoZone. It should be 35 at idle and 55 at WOT. The two pumps are connected in the tank with a Y connector. If you get the new pumps from LFP try to get the stainless 5/16" Y and a foot of submersible hose from LFP or Napa Auto Parts. The stock fuel line in the tank rots and splits over time.

SVTLght99
02-04-2013, 11:47 PM
Ok, so today I went ahead and ordered the two 255 fuel pumps from FLP along with the submersible hose and 5/16 Y stainless steel. Im hoping I would be able to tackle this on my own. But before we get to that. This morning I turned my 99L in which it cranks up just fine like always. But the idle is still rough and when I floor it, it does the same thing (no power) and u could just hear it wine loud from the MAF while choking and eventually dies. So I just let her run awhile to see if the check engine light will come on and it FINALLY did! I received codes P0174, P0102, P0107 and P1409??? I went ahead and switched out the MAF sensor on my brothers 99L with mine to get rid of the P0102 code, and still it runs like crap. The parts I switched out with his 99L (which is completely stock) were the IAC, EGR solenoid, MAF, and TPS. All of that and it still runs like crap. Like i said up there, ive changed out all 8 coil packs with 8 new ones and new plugs along with the fuel filter. I just wanted to rule out the possibilty of those items i listed were the cause. So im guessing it could be the fuel pump but I dont understand how it could be if she cranks up just fine but idles and stalls to a dieing point at times. But i get the pumps on Wednesday so hopefully it will be that. Any of you know what a P1409 code is? It gave me "Manufaturer control auxiliary emission controls".....

whitelightning'02
02-05-2013, 08:06 AM
P1409 EVR Control Circuit Malfunction

Hope that helps...........

SVTLght99
02-05-2013, 02:53 PM
this is a video that i did this morning

www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJJ5o49tFWw&feature=youtube_gdata_player (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJJ5o49tFWw&feature=youtube_gdata_player)

L8 APEX
02-05-2013, 04:55 PM
Is 1409 EGR circuit malf? You could pull and cap the vac line going to the EGR valve and see if that fixes it.

SVTLght99
02-08-2013, 11:20 AM
Is 1409 EGR circuit malf? You could pull and cap the vac line going to the EGR valve and see if that fixes it.

Well I havent been able to check and see if the fuel pumps are whats causing my truck to hesitate. Ive had alil trouble with LFP. New customer, I called on Monday morning around 10am and spoke to a sales rep named Mark. I ordered the 2 pumps, submersible hose, steel Y fitting along with the fuel relay switch. I was told the hose, relay switch and steel Y fitting would get here by tuesday as they are in stock at the houston wharehouse but the 2 pumps were coming from Michigan and those would get here by the end of the week. I told him I would need the pumps items by Wednesday. So he told me to get the 2nd day air. I paid the early shipping fees and they still did not come on time. They came Thursday along with the switch, y and hose. I got the 2 correct pumps but I never received the correct assembly. So I had to pay out of pocket and ship the wrong assembly back to Michigan. They are sending me the correct assembly. Seems like I wont be ordering from them anymore.

Also, there is one hose that I have yet to check out. I believe this is the hose that is connected to the PCV valve and goes straight to the back of the intake somewhere. How can I get back there without having to disconnect anything. Its a bit hard to check that hose?

Beaudee
02-08-2013, 07:54 PM
"Also, there is one hose that I have yet to check out. I believe this is the hose that is connected to the PCV valve and goes straight to the back of the intake somewhere. How can I get back there without having to disconnect anything. Its a bit hard to check that hose?" Keven Durant basketball player is the only one i know who can do it:D I had an EGR solenoid crap out on my 04 a month ago causing EGR to fail open causing same symptoms as your truck.Pull vac. line off top and see if it smooths out.