PDA

View Full Version : Kenne Bell + local tuner

WA 2 FST
06-03-2013, 04:13 PM
Ok... I know everyone (most everyone) said I was dumb for letting my then-15yr old son purchase my '04 L from me. That was 3 years ago. He has been pulled over exactly once in 3 years of driving, and that was b/c he was getting to school later than normal one day (the benefits of taking dual-credit, college classes). Cop was nice to him... just checking on him, basically. Graduation is here this week, and I can't help but consider having a KB put on the truck. This truck already had a KB on it for about 1.5 years, til I decided to sell it, and then I had Terry put the OEM blower back on it. So it already has the large fuel pumps still in it, along with LT headers, and Terry's custom exhaust (which has always sounded amazing). I think all I would really need is the KB blower, larger injectors (Terry put the OEM 42s back in it, when the OEM blower went back on), and a tune. The truck made ~460rwhp/540rwtq with a conservative pulley setup and tune by Terry. Right now it puts out ~380rwhp/450rwtq. I'm honestly not worried about my son being responsible. He's proven to be very responsible. Thoughts on where the best place is to purchase what I need and have it tuned _right_ by a pro locally?

Silver_2000
06-03-2013, 09:16 PM
dad of the year recommendation ....

WA 2 FST
06-03-2013, 09:38 PM
You're very kind, Doug, and you're giving me too much credit. I'm thankful the Lord has been faithful to my family and my kids. I'm going to miss my best friend when he leaves for school this August. We are extremely close. And back to topic... I think I would also need an SCT MAF, too. I believe I sold that when Terry pulled it all apart. And I can't even really consider doing any of this if I can't find a tuner/installer I can trust to handle the job. Last thing I need is a hack tune and he downshifts it once and it blows up.

L8 APEX
06-04-2013, 04:21 PM
I am sorry I am not as helpful as I once was. You could just drop the KB on the current setup and start there. You can swap your own blower in an hour. You don't really need MAF or injectors until 450hp range which is usually over 14 psi. I forget which lower pulley you left on it to know which upper to run probably a 3.25 would be close KB has a good chart on the web. A KB at 12 psi is still a LOT nicer than the Eaton at 8-10. LFP should still be selling parts the fastest and cheapest. If Patrick is still running PSI in Houston area he is the only local tuner I would trust. Back then he was 2-3 months booked out.I don't think I have access to my tunes any longer. Or a JDM email tune possibly it is always questionable when you replace the MAF and injectors. I should have left you a KB tune in one slot...

Anyway, I would drop the KB on and start at 10-12 PSI. I can mail you a wide band O2 gauge you can run through the slider if you want to play with it. You don't need much else until you get around 14-15 PSI and that is just trouble.

Beaudee
06-04-2013, 06:57 PM
Just what all college kids need first year of school LOL.Id be thinkin about a away for college down tune unless hes using it @ the track. LOL.:eek:

WA 2 FST
06-05-2013, 12:23 AM
Just what all college kids need first year of school LOL.Id be thinkin about a away for college down tune unless hes using it @ the track. LOL.:eek:

He's been just fine with it for 3 years with the performance tune Terry put in it. Terry... we have a 4# lower pulley on it now. The AutoMeter gauge shows 12psi, even with the LTs (which I had you install precisely to keep boost pressure sane for full-time street use). I think I was running 14psi or so when I had the KB on it before when you installed it, tuned it, and had the SCT MAF and larger injectors. Just installed some new NGK TR6 plugs, changed fuel filter, etc. Truck runs really well just like it is... should probably just leave it alone. Yes, I could install the blower... just concerned that the tune will not be right, and not sure if a KB at 10-12psi is going to make much more power than its already making. I know the blower is more efficient as far as IATs, but I also figured it takes more power to spin it... or not?

WA 2 FST
06-05-2013, 12:33 AM
Terry... what about a 2.3L Whipple? Looks like that is all JDM sells now.

Beaudee
06-05-2013, 11:55 AM
Gear Heads Ft Worth has done good work,dyno tuning ,supercharger install.

L8 APEX
06-06-2013, 08:26 PM
The Whipple is a little more involved on the installation but a better product overall. The KB is just simple, quick, easy and free 'to you' to drop on. With the Whipple you cut and extend the throttle body harness and maybe a few sensors, reroute the coolant lines etc. An EGR delete is highly recommended. Clearance the firewall a little. It is a slick blower though. KB and Eaton fuel curves are close until you pass 14PSI, the KB could use a little more in the mid range but that isn't a danger zone. If I left it tunes for a 4# then the timing should be locked at 14' which is safe for a KB. Any other blower will give you 20hp? in efficiency and discharge temps. I would expect 420rwhp without issue.

Beaudee
06-14-2013, 11:52 AM
Gear Heads Ft Worth has done good work,dyno tuning ,supercharger install.

I think its FW.I know its on Cooper street.Arlington Here ya go http://local.yahoo.com/details?id=130947992&stx=gearheads&csz=Arlington+TX .They have installed S.C. ,dyno tuned a few friends i know and didnt here any complaints nothing but good.

WA 2 FST
06-28-2013, 11:52 AM
Terry and Beau, thanks for the replies... for some reason these didn't get to my inbox. I checked out Gear Heads... looks like a competent shop. Terry... I agree with your thinking... just no brainer, drop in the KB and be done. Would be pleased with 420rwhp (I think he is at 365-370rwhp ... heat-soaked) right now. That's an expensive 50rwhp, but I'm sure the gain in TQ would be at least that over the stock Eaton. EGR is already deleted... you didn't reinstall that when you put the Eaton back on. Worst case is we put it on, go put it on the dyno and see a scary A/F ratio and then have to find a tuner. with the 4# lower, do you recommend a 3.50" upper on KB? Don't want to go over 14psi... actually I think that is about what it was making when you originally put the KB on. And it was 455rwhp/540+rwtq. We probably cannot safely approach that number, since we don't have injectors, new MAF or tuning capabilities at the moment. I need to get in his truck, drive it and see how much max boost it is making. I'm thinking it is ~12psi on the stock Eaton. Not sure if 12psi from the KB is worth the swap. ???

WA 2 FST
06-28-2013, 05:28 PM
Doesn't look like KB even makes the 2.3L blower any longer. Looks like a 2.6L is the smallest they make, and just looking at it... it appears to have some of the same features as the Whipple blower; meaning it is not as easy of a bolt-on project as the 2.3 was. ???? Thoughts/experience anyone?

WA 2 FST
06-30-2013, 02:44 PM
Terry, I drove the truck today and verified it maxxes out at 12psi. Now it doesn't hit 12psi at 3000rpm and carry it to redline. I think when I had the KB on the truck, it was ~14psi and making 455rwhp/540rwtq, with your conservative tune (but had SCT MAF, injectors, too). Would 12psi from a KB/Whipple really be worth 50-60rwhp over what he has now (365-370rwhp)? Would be happy at 420rwhp from something that is very, very reliable. But I don't want to spend $ on a new blower for 25hp.

L8 APEX
06-30-2013, 08:09 PM
Your free KB will do all you ever need, just keep it full of oil as then tend to eat some Red Line 50wt. A 3.5 should be okay, KB has a good boost chart on his website. It is a totally different blower than the Eaton so the sound and power will be a nice improvement. Its all in how you drive it. Make sure the intercooler pump is healthy, they tend to stick up every 60k. They are $200 or less from Mark at LFP. I will check my old HD and see if I have any tunes left over.

I emailed you all of your old tune files. I show we had you 3.25 on the street and 3" racing. That would have been 15# and 18#
Hopefully I enabled your user adjustments so you can pull timing, add fuel as needed from the SCT user options menu.

Well your AOL email bounced...

WA 2 FST
06-30-2013, 08:18 PM
Unfortunately, the KB won't be "free." I sold it soon after you pulled it off. :P Yes, IC pump is working. I do check this routinely (every time he and I change the oil). Truck has 47k on it now. Just doesn't look like they make a 2.3 anymore, and the new 2.6 "Big Bore" looks like you have to do the same mods as the Whipple as far as install goes. :(

L8 APEX
06-30-2013, 08:30 PM
Oh crap, I thought you had it sitting on the shelf. In that case the Whipple is your best bet. The 2.6 Blowzilla is a beast I would only strap it on a built motor for a well endowed driver.

WA 2 FST
06-30-2013, 08:33 PM
No, I'm the idiot who sells things immediately and doesn't store much of anything.