PDA

View Full Version : Clunk after clunk washer install

Sandman
09-26-2013, 11:50 AM
I installed my clunk washers and had the front end aligned as it was eating the inside of the tires. Then I parked the truck and didn't drive it much. Lately I've been driving it and it seems like the front end pops even more when turning. I looked under the front and don't see anything obvious. The rear bolt on the drivers side lower control arm is still tight and the washers don't look to be backed out or anything.

Anybody else have this issue?

L8 APEX
09-26-2013, 03:57 PM
Ball joints and idler arm are about the only other components that wear out commonly. You can check them for play with a floor jack and pry bar. The uppers come as a whole new control arm, the lowers are pressed in and out. You can just shake the idler and see if it moves.

Sandman
09-26-2013, 05:04 PM
Thanks Terry.

When I went in to align the front end the tech said the idler arm had more play than he cared for. Odd thing is it was replaced less than 10k ago. My front tires were worn pretty good so we decided to leave it as is for now. I'll look at it a little closer and see if that's it.

I don't think it's the ball joints, but I'll look closer at those as well.

Sandman
09-26-2013, 07:37 PM
Took a look under it and didn't see anything with slack. I did some more googling and some people recommended greasing the steering stops with anti-seize. I did that and it hasn't popped anymore, so we'll see.

L8 APEX
09-27-2013, 05:49 PM
The stops only touch at full lock, didn't assume this was a full lock turn noise. Such is assuming.